Snowden's interview with NBC was the truth...

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If Snowden was Russian he would be dead...to think otherwise is naive.

Putin only wins in the eyes of those who already have disdain towards the U.S.

Hollow victory at best.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Putin is a frickin' old-skool narcassist! He wins in his own eyes! That's what it's all about.

As if anything Snowden leaked would be news to him anyway...

(and no, I didn't mean Rock's wife's panties! America's)

As it's all about winning to you Rock, I'll reiterate my point; for America to win, they have to forgive Snowden. They have to be the bigger person. The adult. Admit being wrong. It shouldn't be that difficult - hasn't a Congressional Oversight committee already said that the NSA was acting beyond it's remit? It's in the country's best interests, it's the whole fabric of America, protecting freedom & democracy, being put to the test. I want to see America pass this test.
    But this is Putin, waving the panties.
    This isn't a hollow victory.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Some ding dong in the government once wrote

"The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the government."

Rock, do you feel Snowden is a criminal? Taking any other country in the world out of the equation. Is there anything patriotic to what he has done?

DOR said:
    Rock, do you feel Snowden is a criminal? Taking any other country in the world out of the equation. Is there anything patriotic to what he has done?

Deciding if someone is a criminal is not based on "feeling".

He stole and leaked classified government documents which does make him a criminal by definition.

If, as the Obama administration claims, he put American lives in danger they will decide if he is a criminal or a traitor.

Whether or not I believe what he did was morally right is besides the point.

BTW....I also believe the NSA overstepped their legal bounds and should be punished accordingly.

Two wrongs never make a right.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Duderonomy said:

It's like Putin has your wife's panties and he's flying them from a flagpole in his front yard.

This gif makes all the side bar arguments worth it.

• Rockadelic said:

brought to you by the country that spies on its citizens for security, bombs for peace and uses guns to keep away guns.

vintageinfants said:
    Rockadelic said:

brought to you by the country that spies on its citizens for security, bombs for peace and uses guns to keep away guns.

No, actually it was brought to you by a citizen of said country who has plenty of problems with some, but not all of it's governments actions.

And I certainly understand why folks outside the U.S. are reveling in this....probably the same feeling I get when the NY Yankees are in last place.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    And I certainly understand why folks outside the U.S. are reveling in this....probably the same feeling I get when the NY Yankees are in last place.

Well damn. That was all Duderonomy was ever saying.

Rockadelic said:

He stole and leaked classified government documents which does make him a criminal by definition.

No.
    Leaking CGD is a daily affair by the most highly regarded members of our government including every modern president.

Being convicted in a court of law is what makes someone a criminal.

Duderonomy said:
    hasn't a Congressional Oversight committee already said that the NSA was acting beyond it's remit?

Yes and the president, and a bi-partisan majority of the House of Representatives.

LaserWolf said:

This is correct.

John Kerry has called him a Traitor, a crime punishable by death.

Eric Holder has filed criminal charges against him which he has avoided by seeking asylum.

In 2013 Snowden was apparently(according to the NY Times) willing to plead guilty with a promise of minimal prison time.

He has admitted doing all of the things he is accused of doing, he just denies they had the impact the Obama Administration claims they have.

Technically he is not a convicted criminal and like I stated earlier it is up to the Federal Government to try him and decide if he is a criminal or a traitor if he ever comes back to face a trial.

I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing he did if in that situation, however, that doesn't make it any less of a crime.

• Rockadelic said:
    LaserWolf said:

This is correct.

John Kerry has called him a Traitor, a crime punishable by death.

Eric Holder has filed criminal charges against him which he has avoided by seeking asylum.

In 2013 Snowden was apparently(according to the NY Times) willing to plead guilty with a promise of minimal prison time.

He has admitted doing all of the things he is accused of doing, he just denies they had the impact the Obama Administration claims they have.

Technically he is not a convicted criminal and like I stated earlier it is up to the Federal Government to try him and decide if he is a criminal or a traitor if he ever comes back to face a trial.

I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing he did if in that situation, however, that doesn't make it any less of a crime.

It certainly does make it less of a crime - there's no way he's getting the death penalty, for instance. And there's a very good chance a deal gets made down the line which will result in a minimal penalty.

In any event you've broken the law many, many more times than Snowden has, without repentance, punishment, or any plans to stop doing so. Which is fine with me, but please don't tell me for a minute that you have more respect for the law than he does.

You do not.

LazarusOblong said:

please don't tell me for a minute that you have more respect for the law than he does.

You do not.

I didn't make any such claim

b/w

Since the only law that you know/assume I have broken is the same law our President has admitted breaking I assume you feel the same way about him....not bad company, but can you say false equivalence?

• Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:

please don't tell me for a minute that you have more respect for the law than he does.

You do not.

b/w

Since the only law that you know/assume I have broken is the same law our President has admitted breaking I assume you feel the same way about him....not bad company, but can you say false equivalence?

There's no false equivalence because you continue to break the law every day (or so you have said) and Obama (as far as I know) does not.

As for what claims you make, you constantly portray yourself as an authority-loving law and order sort.

LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:

You do not.

b/w

There's no false equivalence because you continue to break the law every day (or so you have said) and Obama (as far as I know) does not.

As for what claims you make, you constantly portray yourself as an authority-loving law and order sort.

Yep...comparing an act that is legal in some states, and a misdemeanor in others to an act that our Secretary Of State claims could carry, and has resulted in the Death Penalty is no false equivalence whatsoever...ever think about getting into Law?

If and when I am caught breaking the law, regardless of the act, I will respect the law and accept my punishment...if that means I love authority, so be it.

Mark it down, 04 June 2014 03:54 PM, Rock (for the second time) quotes John Kerry to support his position.

LaserWolf said:
    Mark it down, 04 June 2014 03:54 PM, Rock (for the second time) quotes John Kerry to support his position.

It's almost unfair, isn't it.

• Rockadelic said:
    LaserWolf said:

INCEPTION BRONG!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

vintageinfants said:
    Rockadelic said:
    LaserWolf said:

INCEPTION BRONG!

Ever notice how Putin looks like a young George Steinbrenner?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    All I saw was a jury pool being tainted.

• Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:

You do not.

b/w

Yep...comparing an act that is legal in some states, and a misdemeanor in others to an act that our Secretary Of State claims could carry, and has resulted in the Death Penalty is no false equivalence whatsoever...ever think about getting into Law?

If and when I am caught breaking the law, regardless of the act, I will respect the law and accept my punishment...if that means I love authority, so be it.

Yeah, sure. You'd just roll over and plead guilty. Sure you would. Even if those forfeiture-loving Texas cops took your house away as a result.

And though I know you love the death penalty (so much that you feel compelled to capitalize it for no apparent reason) there is less of a chance that Snowden will get the death penalty than there is that Elvis Andrus will ever win a MLB batting title.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts

If this is actually footage of Snowden first meeting as a whistleblower (first on the record interview?), then I can't wait to see this.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    ketan said:

If this is actually footage of Snowden first meeting as a whistleblower (first on the record interview?), then I can't wait to see this.

Looks dope. I'm in.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Great documentary! Watch what you say around those VOip phones!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    The John Oliver interview with Snowden is worth seeing!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts

RAJ said:

Great documentary! Watch what you say around those VOip phones!

+1