Snowden's interview with NBC was the truth...

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited May 2014 in Strut Central

EDIT:

Currently (as of ths post) functioning youtube link to vid:

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Regardless of what you think of his actions dudes personality is complete and total douchebag.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Regardless of what you think of his actions dudes personality is complete and total douchebag.

Really? That's funny..I got the total opposite vibe from him. I've met a lot of tech-oriented dudes who talk like he did (answering all questions with "right, the thing to think about that is...") which can be annoying but overall he seemed kinda genuine to me.

I am a total douchebag, though...so, there is that.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Who cares. As long as he's dropping the truth.

In an interview with Susan Rice.....somebody is lying!

ÔÇ£HeÔÇÖs now saying he was an undercover, clandestine officer working as a highly trained spy for the United States,ÔÇØ Blitzer said of Snowden. ÔÇ£Is that true?ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£No,ÔÇØ Rice replied, succinctly.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Video no longer available. Did he say he was "clandestine officer working as a highly trained spy"?

Susan Rice: "contractor working for the NSA and other elements of the intelligence community".

Spy is a big leap from his previously held position as just another tech guy.

The original set up reminds me of Christopher Boyce. I recommend reading Falcon and the Snowman.

LaserWolf said:
    Video no longer available. Did he say he was "clandestine officer working as a highly trained spy"?

Here is one that is working at the moment:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    JectWon said:
    Rockadelic said:

Really? That's fucking bollocks

Fixed.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Glad it was a dropout member of the complacent generation that pants'd the NSA. Fucking boomers forgot about the constitution; and the former fogey whistleblowers didn't have the smarts and/or the guts to force the NSA's bare ass out into public.

A true patriot.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Glad it was a dropout member of the complacent generation that pants'd the NSA. Fucking boomers forgot about the constitution; and the former fogey whistleblowers didn't have the smarts and/or the guts to force the NSA's bare ass out into public.

A true patriot.

one of the few times i have to agree with you

Rockadelic said:
    In an interview with Susan Rice.....somebody is lying!

ÔÇ£HeÔÇÖs now saying he was an undercover, clandestine officer working as a highly trained spy for the United States,ÔÇØ Blitzer said of Snowden. ÔÇ£Is that true?ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£No,ÔÇØ Rice replied, succinctly.

I was reading up on the Snowden interview. Blitzer misrepresents.
    Snowden said he did his computer work overseas for the CIA and the NSA. And to do that he had to have a cover. There was nothing new there, except that the Administration likes to portray him as someone who just stumbled on the info he shared.

kala said:
    Reynaldo said:

A true patriot.

one of the few times i have to agree with you

+1

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    what do you think he turned over to the Russians for asylum? You have to be naive to think the Russians are letting him stay out of the goodness of their hearts.

The_Hook_Up said:
    what do you think he turned over to the Russians for asylum? You have to be naive to think the Russians are letting him stay out of the goodness of their hearts.

Nothing of course...this dude is just a whistle blowing do-goodski trying to get the truth out to the masses and Putin is just a nice guy and gave him asylum and a state sponsored lawyer like he does to all the other U.S. refugees out of the goodness of his heart.

Nothing else to see here.....move along.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Nothing of course...this dude is just a whistle blowing do-goodski trying to get the truth out to the masses and Putin is just a nice guy and gave him asylum and a state sponsored lawyer like he does to all the other U.S. refugees out of the goodness of his heart.

Nothing else to see here.....move along.

I don't consider myself to be naive, but even without the assumption that everyone is lying, there's A LOT to gain for Russia by giving Snowden asylum. They have him and his wealth of secrets to hang over the US if they're not given some slack on tings. Like, I don't know, annexing part of a neighbouring country.

The_Hook_Up said:

It's worth granting Snowden asylum just for the points scored over the-land-of-teh-free... on the one hand Putin is criticised at home and abroad as being authoritarian and repressive (gay rights, democracy etc etc which I believe he is), on the other hand he's protecting a dissenter. The world is laughing hard at America over this, and with or without any secrets Putin is laughing hardest. Look for a conspiracy if you want, but sometimes the simple answer is the simple answer.

The west has had everything it's own way for a long time, and doesn't like it when somebody answers back. America says it has misgivings about a Russian election, I LOL'd when Putin responded that he also watched Bush's transparent election. Britain moans about ten page visas, Russia snaps back that the equivalent for Russians entering the UK is 30 pages.

There is no question that the United States is the worst country on the planet

Except for all the others

Very mature. This isn't a who's-the-best v who's-the-worst. USA & allies (the 5 eyes?) have been shown to be hypocrites. The political points scored from this is the story. Why is Ecuador giving shelter to Assange? It looks good to stick your fingers up at the west.

Duderonomy said:
    Very mature. This isn't a who's-the-best v who's-the-worst. USA & allies (the 5 eyes?) have been shown to be hypocrites. The political points scored from this is the story. Why is Ecuador giving shelter to Assange? It looks good to stick your fingers up at the west.

Send me a postcard from Ecuador or Russia preferably with you maturely sticking your finger up at the West.

http://www.transparency.org/country

What I have learned on soulstrut is the stuff Edward Snowden gave to the press everyone here already new.
    I also have been told by strutteratti that Edward Snowden was a low level employee, douche bag, and didn't have access to any real secrets.
    I have been told by those at soulstrut who are in a position to know that he was not a spy.

Now I am hearing from those same geniuses that he gave the Russians secrets in exchange for asylum.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Now I am hearing from those same genii that he gave the Russians secrets in exchange for asylum.

Fixed

• Duderonomy said:
    It's worth granting Snowden asylum just for the points scored over the-land-of-teh-free... on the one hand Putin is criticised at home and abroad as being authoritarian and repressive (gay rights, democracy etc etc which I believe he is), on the other hand he's protecting a dissenter.

B.I.N.G.O.

Seems to be a decent amount of chatter in this thread that attempts to boil this (incredibly complex) issue down to simple "with us or against us", "'merica sucks" vs "love it or leave it" type bullshit...the world has never been that simple; pretending that it is is just a waste of time.

If anyone would like to see how incredibly complicated the various pieces of this whole argument are, I suggest watching Frontline's two part documentary on it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/united-states-of-secrets/

Part one mostly covers territory that we've already known about for a long time (the shadowy/unprecedented developments that occurred immediately after 9-11) and different peoples motivations/arguments for doing what they did. However, there are many pieces of new info that I personally gleamed from Part One and I strongly suggest watching it. Part two goes into the Snowden developments.

It is certainly the most encompassing narrative that I have found on this topic.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Duderonomy said:

Send me a postcard from Ecuador or Russia preferably with you maturely sticking your finger up at the West.

so speaks the guy whoose biggest trip/cultural exchange abroad was to scotland? the uk? germany so you could collect those special dolls with your wife?

check out vietnam, cambodia ,panama , jamaica or amsterdam and then start talking about what you know about freedom

kala said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Duderonomy said:

so speaks the guy whoose biggest trip/cultural exchange abroad was to scotland? the uk? germany so you could collect those special dolls with your wife?

check out vietnam, cambodia ,panama , jamaica or amsterdam and then start talking about what you know about freedom

Fuck my personal experience.....or yours for that matter....did you bother to investigate the link I posted? Understand it?

Calling the U.S. hypocritical from Putin's standpoint is like a serial killer calling one of the jurors that helped convict him a hypocrite for once getting a speeding ticket.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    JectWon said:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/united-states-of-secrets/

Part one mostly covers territory that we've already known about for a long time (the shadowy/unprecedented developments that occurred immediately after 9-11) and different peoples motivations/arguments for doing what they did. However, there are many pieces of new info that I personally gleamed from Part One and I strongly suggest watching it. Part two goes into the Snowden developments.

It is certainly the most encompassing narrative that I have found on this topic.

Came here to post this doc. Watched it last night. Pretty good.

Rockadelic said:

Calling the U.S. hypocritical from Putin's standpoint is like a serial killer calling one of the jurors that helped convict him a hypocrite for once getting a speeding ticket.

???????????????????????

It's not from Putin's standpoint, it's from the position the USA (and the democratic West) has placed itself, in relation to the highly, highly touted personal freedoms at home and decisions foreign policy (ie wars) have been based upon.
    Your response is like that of so many politicians and political parties at the moment; criticism from one side is never met with an answer, instead fingers are pointed back, "I know you are, but what am I" style. Has Putin ever pretended to be spreading democracy, fair play, transparency, or Mom's apple pie? No. I don't think the guy is imaginative enough to think about changing or enhancing quality of life for anyone but himself and his cronies.
    This is politics (PR, bluster, words, whatever), and Putin's a winner until America can swallow it's pride and grant Snowden immunity. Which they won't do.
    It's like Putin has your wife's panties and he's flying them from a flagpole in his front yard.

• Duderonomy said:

It's like Putin has your wife's panties and he's flying them from a flagpole in his front yard.

:face_melt: