Leon Thomas - Blues and the Soulful Truth

VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I just picked up this album. I am really enjoying it. What can anyone tell me about him. I know he worked with Pharoah Sanders a bit. Didn't he play with Santana for a while also? What other albums should I keep an eye out for. Thanks, KeV

Actually, I just found a good article on the Thomas/Santana connection.

Article

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Leon Thomas had one of the most unique voices in jazz. He is especially remembered for his soulful yodel that sounded like it was channeling the Spirits. I read on an album jacked that he used to only want to play percussion when somebody heard him singing one day and really encouraged him to give it a try. You already know the rest of the story...

Along with Blues & Soulful, the albums above complete the serious trilogy of solo albums for Leon.

This one is also great, but it's really not essential.

There's also Full Circle (a later sounding Leon) and Gold Sunrise on Magic Mountain (his "out" album).

And definitely avoid the Leone (sic) Thomas 45 on DON (King) label.

Also check for his name on Pharoah albums, all quality appearances.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Drewn is a confirmed Leonologist, but he left out a couple other LP appearances that are well worth seeking out.

this contains Leon's classic vocal rendition of 'Little Sunflower'

and

which has a great song called 'Sun Song'

and Santana's 'Welcome' is maybe my fave Santana LP, but Leon's contribution is not what it could have been.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Leon Thomas had one of the most unique voices in jazz. He is especially remembered for his soulful yodel that sounded like it was channeling the Spirits.

A fellow Leonologist told me how he acquired his yodelling style. Something about he managed to cut his mouth prior to a gig for Pharoah Sanders, I think, and so got the wound stitched up. All he was capable of doing was that yodel. Anybody else heard that story?

I'll find out some more.

Ah yes, good pick-up Birdman!

How did I forget!?

• theres also the 'piece of cake' lp on palcoscenico records italy from about 1979 featuring freddie hubbard, has missed the reissue program at the moment and seems to be hard to locate. has a nice version of 'night in tunisia'.

Years back i was talking to Joe Lee Wilson who lived up the road from Leon and Pharoah Sanders back in the day, Joe was the original vocalist scheduled in for 'creator has a masterplan' but he missed the appointment for the recording session after doing the rehearsals, so Leon stepped in on the day, and the rest, as they say, is history... he was a bit bummed out about it..

also check santana 'welcome' lp feat leon and flora purim, and i think he's on another santana but can't remember which.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    That Leon Thomas yodelling style explanation, goes something like this -

'I believe he was booked to play a gig with possibly Pharoah Saunders, some festival. A day or so prior he was in his abode and the phone rang: he used to test his will and fate, all that spiritual lark, and decided that he should walk on his hands to answer the phone. If he made it there in time it was meant to be, if he didn't then no loss. On the way he slipped and landed on his face splitting his lip so badly he needed stitches. He showed up to the gig in no less of a state and stood there panicking about what he was gonna do when it came to his sections, as he could barely open his mouth. He prayed to god to help him through and as he began to sing with his mouth shut, he felt the notes forming in his throat and thus began the Thomas yodelling style'

he used to test his will and fate, all that spiritual lark, and decided that he should walk on his hands to answer the phone.

I might have to start "testing my will and fate!"

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    this is that shit you need meng

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    That Leon Thomas yodelling style explanation, goes something like this -

'I believe he was booked to play a gig with possibly Pharoah Saunders, some festival. A day or so prior he was in his abode and the phone rang: he used to test his will and fate, all that spiritual lark, and decided that he should walk on his hands to answer the phone. If he made it there in time it was meant to be, if he didn't then no loss. On the way he slipped and landed on his face splitting his lip so badly he needed stitches. He showed up to the gig in no less of a state and stood there panicking about what he was gonna do when it came to his sections, as he could barely open his mouth. He prayed to god to help him through and as he began to sing with his mouth shut, he felt the notes forming in his throat and thus began the Thomas yodelling style'

WOW! How was he walking on his hands?? Im trying to picture it.

Another good one is "Full Circle." One of my favs actually. Dont be alarmed by his pimped out outfit on the cover. No pimp music, just more throat singing.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    So what's the story re: that Leon Thomas Blues Band release from the eighties?

• shape your mind to die

shape your mind to die

...and this means...?

• you'll know when you hear it.

check blues and the soulful truth...

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Thanks for all the input folks. I'ma go get me some rackords now.

Leon Thomas had one of the most unique voices in jazz. He is especially remembered for his soulful yodel that sounded like it was channeling the Spirits.

A fellow Leonologist told me how he acquired his yodelling style. Something about he managed to cut his mouth prior to a gig for Pharoah Sanders, I think, and so got the wound stitched up. All he was capable of doing was that yodel. Anybody else heard that story?

I'll find out some more.
    Many readers will have wondered where the yodelling comes from and what it's all about! Leon Thomas recounted in a recent interview with Straight No Chaser how he injured his mouth and was unable to sing but still made a gig, when it came to his turn to scat the sound just came out. In his own words : "The ancestors had arrived and I realised they had given me what we call throat articulation. I call it Soularfone, it can never be perfected. Sometimes I reach for it and it ain't there. It surprises me. The pygmies call it Umbo Weti. This voice is not me, my voice is ancient. This person you see before you is controlled by ego but my voice is egoless." So, the voice is related to the language used by pygmies to sing to the forest asking forgiveness as they entered to search for food.

you'll know when you hear it.

not till i get somebody else's advice (on the Leon Thomas Blues Band elpee) - i aint buying just any old damn leon thomas, he could have jumped the shark by then (1988)

not till i get somebody else's advice (on the Leon Thomas Blues Band elpee) - i aint buying just any old damn leon thomas, he could have jumped the shark by then (1988)

'shape your mind to die' is on 'blues and the soulful truth' from 1973 on flying dutchman, and is one of his finest moments, you will be glad you bought it. it could be on a 1988 lp, but i wouldn't buy that version likewise as its a biiiit of a dodgy period production wise.

lots of info here:

http://members.aol.com/ilebaba/adeleke/discthomas.html

-P

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    you'll know when you hear it.

There is some confusion here.

I think that 'Shape Your Mind To die' is on Blues and the Soulful Truth and that LP is essential listening for anyone interested in Leon.

Flying Dutchman also released a pretty easily obtainable 'best of' called Facets that is a good intro.

His 'Blues Band' late 80s work I have never heard good stuff about. I think he was pretty sick in his last years, and I honestly couldn't say if that work coincided with that illness or not. There was a website done by a friend of his from the perspective of 'the ecstatic spiritual experience' or somesuch, and I think on there dude talked about that stuff a bit. I really would look for his Flying Dutchman output and go from there.

Here is some of the heat.

Shape Your Mind to Die.......

'Shape Your Mind To die' is on Blues and the Soulful Truth and that LP is essential listening for anyone interested in Leon.

like he clarified its on the blues and the soulful truth. like i said you'll know it when you hear it. shit melted my face off many times over. doesn't mean it will do that to everyone. i haven't heard the blues band lp, but if i saw it for $1 at the swap i'd test drive.

• Here is some of the heat.

Shape Your Mind to Die.......

nice one!

thanks. my turntable at work is broken.

• I've really come to like on of his later recordings with

Pharoah Sanders from the 80's.

Oh Lord, Let me do no Wrong[/b] LP on Doctor Jazz.

Could anyone shed some more descriptive light

on that Gold Sunrise on Magic Mountain[/b] LP?

(might wanna grab it for $10...)

Danke.

(images aren't working for me)

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    shape your mind to die

And off the same album, 'Let's go down to Lucy's' is a nice enough funk cut where Leon flexs standard vocal styles.