M.C. HAMMER APPRECIATION THREAD

Comments

• BUT he was the pioneer for this hip-hop entertainer shit. Definitely paved the way for Diddy (good or bad thing). Stage skills, dancing was all very very top notch. And of course repping Oakland hella hoooaaarrd.

Not everything is about sitting around in a cypher rhyming words like "automatopeia".

I don't know what you came up liking or listening to, but when "Let's Get It Started" was out so were these:

And when "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" was out, so were these:

And when "2 Legit To Quit" dropped, it was in the store next to this

G[/b]

H[/b]

I don't know bout you man

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    About three years ago, Hammer came to my school, Columbia College, to give an inspirational speech (and promote his upcoming VH1 biopic). I was working for the college newspaper at the time and got word of his trip via a small limo. Hammer snubbed me about twice but it still was a priceless exchange.

I saw his manager in the school's lobby and said Hammer would be down for an interview. I walked out to the limo and they rolled down the window. No interview now, Hammer said, but after his speech.

During his speech, Hammer was telling his uplifting rags-to-richs-to-rags tale, with some religious undertones. Then he took questions. I don't remember too many aside from this middleaged woman who stood up and praised Hammer for being a good role model.

"My kids had all of your records and the doll too," she said. "We loved all of your hits: 'Pray,' 'Adams Family Values,' and 'You Can't Touch That.'" -- she actually said that instead of this. It was so hilarious. Hammer clearly was taken aback, I'm not sure exactly why, while all of the students laughed.

After the talk, he agreed to sign autographs. I went up to him again to inquire about the interview. He scuffed. Ironically, I was wearing an Oakland A's T-shirt. I don't think he liked that. Anyway, he must have signed 150 autogrpahs -- for everyone in the place as well as their little sisters -- before I bounced. Oh well.

My favorite Hammer hit: "2 Legit to Quit."

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    BUT he was the pioneer for this hip-hop entertainer shit. Definitely paved the way for Diddy (good or bad thing). Stage skills, dancing was all very very top notch. And of course repping Oakland hella hoooaaarrd.

Not everything is about sitting around in a cypher rhyming words like "automatopeia".

I don't know what you came up liking or listening to, but when "Let's Get It Started" was out so were these:

And when "Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" was out, so were these:

And when "2 Legit To Quit" dropped, it was in the store next to this

G[/b]

H[/b]

I don't know bout you man

I agree 100% and I have nothing to add really except this

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

this was the first tape I ever bought/S> shoplifted

• dayday 9,611 Posts

this was *one of* the first tape(s) I ever bought/S> shoplifted

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

That's like comparing 50 Cent to Supernatural.

Ok, not exactly, but my point is that it's completely obvious that they're obviously going for completely different effects/crowds/whatever. Nobody expected MC Hammer to be like Guru/Gangstarr - the comparison doesn't make any sense.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I think he's saying, in the time period that Hammer's records came out, there were MANY other albums to choose from that were 1000X better.

Dude can typewrite like nobody's business but he also paved the way for these folls and for that, he can never be forgiven:

Dude can typewrite like nobody's business but he also paved the way for these folls and for that, he can never be forgiven:

But he was the original.
    Plus, like I mentioned in the other thread...

[MC Hammer]
    Kickin on the ave 'bout a quarter to 9
    All the homies gettin blind in an eight ball line
    Now on this tip they started runnin at the lip
    Jumped in their deuce and took a little trip
    Hit the block about 12 on the tick
    The windows went down and the nines went click
    People started yellin, bodies started bailin
    Bullets cold flyin sendin some to hell and
    It's gotta stop, we don't need all the violence
    Peace in the hood and a moment of silence
    We got together not for ego or fame
    We got involved cause we're all in the same gang

Hammer was HARD[/b] :P

• I think he's saying, in the time period that Hammer's records came out, there were MANY other albums to choose from that were 1000X better.

This is exactly what I'm saying. In retrospect Hammer paved the way for a lot of different, and sometimes good, trends in hip-hop today. That doesn't make him any better of an MC.

I cringe when I go back and listen to those cuts man. And yes, I did own Let's Get It Started and Plaese Hammer...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    This is exactly what I'm saying. In retrospect Hammer paved the way for a lot of different, and sometimes good, trends in hip-hop today. That doesn't make him any better of an MC.

I cringe when I go back and listen to those cuts man. And yes, I did own Let's Get It Started and Plaese Hammer...
    did someone claim he had tight lyrics in here??

That was my point originally. His whole thing wasn't really to have tight lyrics. And yes there were better albums out but those were on a different tip.

When I wanted to think about killing people, I turned to NWA.

When I wanted to think about glittery parachute pants, I turned to Hammer.

• This is exactly what I'm saying. In retrospect Hammer paved the way for a lot of different, and sometimes good, trends in hip-hop today. That doesn't make him any better of an MC.

People are proclaiming some of his output to be "the jam".

"The Jam" may have nothing to do with lyrics. "The Jam"s are danceable, or catchy. Many songs recognized as "The Jam" have little/no redeeming lyrical content:

I.E.

"THE JAM"

• This is exactly what I'm saying. In retrospect Hammer paved the way for a lot of different, and sometimes good, trends in hip-hop today. That doesn't make him any better of an MC.

"The Jam" may have nothing to do with lyrics. "The Jam"s are danceable, or catchy. Many songs recognized as "The Jam" have little/no redeeming lyrical content:

I.E.

"THE JAM"

Dude if you are driving by rocking "Here Comes The Hammer" and "Ditty" I am like who is that fag

I.E.

"THE JAM"

Dude if you are driving by rocking "Here Comes The Hammer" and "Ditty" I am like who is that fag

I think that was mentioned before - in 2005, yeah, Hammer has become a joke. Back in the day...

"LET'S GET IT STARTED"

and don't act like you didn't dance around with your yellow waterproof Walkman bumpin Ditty.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Then he moved to Tracy, California, and lived next door to my dude's aunt in a gated community. Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em Park Your MiniVan In Front Of Our Driveway!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    this thread is forcing me to "LOL"

• I am picturing you riding through in a Camaro with some electrical tape in 1992 bumping Ditty and Here Comes The Hammer. It is hella loud out your front speakers on some "Uh Oh! Uh Oh uh Oh!" I am like who is that fag

You have vanilla ice hair.

i think the words were actually, "kinda[/b] the jam"

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    dude are you talking about Paperboy too?

stop man, please, PAYCHECK DON'T HURT EM

You have vanilla ice hair eyebrows.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Then he moved to Tracy, California, and lived next door to my dude's aunt in a gated community. Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em Park Your MiniVan In Front Of Our Driveway!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I remember reading an interview with Muggs in Rap Pages years ago, where he completely wrongfooted the interviewer by saying he liked Hammer. His argument was that Hammer never pretended to be anything he wasn't. He was never hardcore or gangsta, he came out dancing and that's how he got paid (a similar thing could be said about Will Smith as well, for that matter). When he came back out wearing Raiders gear and acting like he was the Godfather of G-Funk, I guess it became a different matter. But then again, while he was up on stage in harem pants like a dancing fool, he was calling out hits on 3rd Bass, so what the fuck would I know?

• You have vanilla ice hair eyebrows.

Hell yeah dude. That was a bad look even then.

I knew a dude in college (circa '95) that still rocked the three notch stylee.

I am picturing you riding through in a Camaro with some electrical tape in 1992 bumping Ditty and Here Comes The Hammer. It is hella loud out your front speakers on some "Uh Oh! Uh Oh uh Oh!" I am like who is that fag

You have vanilla ice hair.

Ha.... Please.

I am like who is that fag

When he came back out wearing Raiders gear and acting like he was the Godfather of G-Funk, I guess it became a different matter.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    someone please tell me more detail about the hit on Serch, cause of the gasface thing? that can't be true!?

anyhow for me it wasn't hammer but young mc, i remember seeing him on "roller games" with skinny minny. y'all remember that show? gangs on rollerskates going on these crazy courses and pushing people off the ledge and fighting aligators and young mc performing bust a move

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I guess 3rd Bass dissed Hammers mother and he went berzerker

My friend used to dance for Young MC in those glorious days of Gumby fades and Simpson's t-shirts.

I guess 3rd Bass dissed Hammers mother and he went berzerker

My friend used to dance for Young MC in those glorious days of Gumby fades and Simpson's t-shirts.

I am like who is that fag

Those were wonderful times.

anyhow for me it wasn't hammer but young mc, i remember seeing him on "roller games" with skinny minny. y'all remember that show? gangs on rollerskates going on these crazy courses and pushing people off the ledge and fighting aligators and young mc performing bust a move
    thats like when American Gladiatorz came on in the wee hours of the AM right?