M.C. HAMMER APPRECIATION THREAD

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
From my post in the VMA thread:
mc hammer.
When did Hammer come out? I fast-forwarded to the highlights last night (namely the Kanye performance) and never noticed Hammer.Herm
Diddy kind of just sprung it on after Ludacris I think, maybe later, I was in and out a lot. He was actually pretty good...it was the looks on people's faces in the crowd that were priceless! Beyonce just looked stunned, mouth hangin' open, that was pretty common.
Just saw it now. Bringing out Hammer was dope! What made it more enjoyable for me is the fact that Kanye, Jay-Z and couple other dudes were STANDING UP for his performance. And Will.I.Am ran up closer all giddy-like to watch it. Fresh! I'da done the same thing.By the way, Hammer deserves an appreciation thread. I've always had much respect for him, even idolized him a bit in my youth. (Granted, the "Pumps & A Bump" video and his "gangsta" phase was a bit
, but still, dude earned the right to make a few questionable calls.)Herm
Give it up to one of Hip Hop's greatest entertainers, y'all!

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Plaese Herm, don't hurt 'em.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    his pants were untouchable. not much more I can say for dude. whack how he tried to get Serch snuffed.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    his pants were untouchable. not much more I can say

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Pump It Up...........................

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Plaese Herm, don't hurt 'em.

I am...strong like a lion, no denying
    I'm in effect and you suckas are trying
    To get with me, you can't hang
    Movin' like this I'm in with a bang
    Goin' BOOM like thunder and you wonder
    How in the world can the Hammer be underneath me?

his pants were untouchable. not much more I can say

Oh how I wish I could find the pic of me in my black & white polka dot Hammer pants.

I was killin' 'em with my "typewriter" BITD.

Herm

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    whenever I saw him perform I was always watching for that one dancer with that weird hat that was like a triangular version of the pope hat.

Dude killed it in the Taco Bell commercial

• He's on the Team's remix. He does the last verse. I really wanted dude to come with it on some "YO! I'M BACK SO PEEP GAME!" but he was pretty weak, almost as bad as Bus Driver. Well he wasn't that bad but it was .

whenever I saw him perform I was always watching for that one dancer with that weird hat that was like a triangular version of the pope hat.

I believe that was his HAIR. I can't remember dude's name, though. He was in the Haunted House mini-movie/video, too. Which reminds me, Hammer dancing with The Ghost Of James Brown's Past was mighty .

Herm

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I believe that was his HAIR.

but seriously though...

THAT MAKES LIKE 1000 TIMES DOPER!!!!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    STOP-STOP-STOP-STOP

This thread is already 13 posts too long.

• whenever I saw him perform I was always watching for that one dancer with that weird hat that was like a triangular version of the pope hat.

Dude killed it in the Taco Bell commercial

that was his hair if i'm not mistaken

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    STOP-STOP-STOP-STOP

This thread is already 13 posts too long.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Don't care what anyone says. I have mad appreciation for Hammer. I started picking up his singles again a year or two ago and they're as hot as ever. I don't see how anyone can hate on this guy. Crazy entertainer, dope beats, always on-point. I never picked up his later stuff (I hear it's not that good) but he gets respect from me.

Favorite Track: Pray

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    you are kidding right?

Turn This Mutha Out is far superior.

It's All Good

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Don't care what anyone says. I have mad appreciation for Hammer. I started picking up his singles again a year or two ago and they're as hot as ever. I don't see how anyone can hate on this guy. Crazy entertainer, dope beats, always on-point. I never picked up his later stuff (I'm sorry it's not that good) but he gets respect from me.

Yep, you can't touch MC Hammer (sorry )

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I don't see how anyone can hate on this guy.

Exhibit A:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

you are kidding right?

Word up. "Turn This Mutha Out" is kinda the jam. "Hammer, you ain't hittin' in New York!" But I didn't really care about anything he did after that.

Oh yeah, I think the triangle-haired dude was Too Bigg MC?

you are kidding right?

Word up. "Turn This Mutha Out" is kinda the jam. "Hammer, you ain't hittin' in New York!" But I didn't really care about anything he did after that.

No.. Too Bigg was his back up hype man in the early years.. Big guy...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    4th grade, I was all about MC Hammer.

I had the tape, I had the doll.

Hammer was the shit.

All that Funky Headhunter stuff didn't help him any though.

But Please Hamemr Don't Hurt 'Em and prior were good.

you are kidding right?

Oh yeah, that's right. Dur. I remember him now.

you are kidding right?

Oh yeah, that's right. Dur. I remember him now.

• Sorry to rain on you guys' parade... seems we have a lot of Hammer fans/apologists up in here....

Hammer always sucked, as an MC. I feel like, if you were *actually* listening to hip-hop at the time you could see dude was really really wack, compared to the styles and flows coming out at that time...

BUT he was the pioneer for this hip-hop entertainer shit. Definitely paved the way for Diddy (good or bad thing). Stage skills, dancing was all very very top notch. And of course repping Oakland hella hoooaaarrd.

But stop fronting, dude sucked. Then again, I never had the doll maybe I'm just jealous

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Oh how I wish I could find the pic of me in my black & white polka dot Hammer pants.

I was killin' 'em with my "typewriter" BITD.

Herm

Holy shit, the image of you rocking those and scooting across the floor has me dying over here.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    BUT he was the pioneer for this hip-hop entertainer shit. Definitely paved the way for Diddy (good or bad thing). Stage skills, dancing was all very very top notch. And of course repping Oakland hella hoooaaarrd.

Not everything is about sitting around in a cypher rhyming words like "automatopeia".

But stop fronting, dude sucked. Then again, I never had the doll maybe I'm just jealous

Don't worry.. I'm getting you one off ebay right now. It's my x-mas gift to you! But you have to wait til Christmas tho to get ur hands on it...

Even back in the day I never got into Hammer in anyway. But I always found his video's (And his numerous appearances on Arsenio Hall) gave me a good laugh.

I thought the most important thing Hammer (Or any other big selling artist IE: Vanilla Ice) brought to us, was the lessons on how to not make a shit load of money and see it go all down the tubes. Props Hammer!

Side note: He was far more entertaining on Surreal Life than anything he ever released on reckord.

Side note: He was far more entertaining on Surreal Life than anything he ever released on reckord.

Yeah, this is true. Dude walked into every town/situation/location like he was the king of it. It was pretty cool to watch, actually.

• If anything, hammer was like a martyr. He caught hell back then for shit that people are celebrated for now. oh well.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

the back cover of this 12" is just the image of his smile from the front, tiled over and over