I celebrate their entire catalog Pat II

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

LMSYRT

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The Beatles come close, but they have a few clunkers.

Willis Alan Ramsey
    RCO All Stars
    Robert Johnson
    James Carr
    Billie Holiday
    Paul Butterfield's Better Days

I want to say Duke Ellington, but I think he did one record where he sings.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    The Beatles come close, but they have a few clunkers.

Willis Alan Ramsey
    RCO All Stars
    Robert Johnson
    James Carr
    Billie Holiday
    Paul Butterfield's Better Days

I want to say Duke Ellington, but I think he did one record where he sings.

Funny enough their are purist that will even say Robert Johnson was just repeating others earlier work. I think he's great but he also only record a few songs and died young. Billie is a good one. Just her voice makes a song.

/No doubt RJ lifted freely. Doesn't diminish his small catalog.

Yeah, I like BH's recordings with strings after her voice was shot. She can do no wrong.

LaserWolf said:

I agree. I'm just saying it's easier to say everything is great when you only have 20 songs. Not that being black in his time and dying young was easy.

At lot of band like Kool have stood the test of time and have had to change with the times even if it wasn't to my liking. So I'm willing to forgive the "Forever" LP. Leave it to Batmon to shit on Kool and the Gang!

kala said:
    eddie bo

ps
    burzum and carol kaye in the same post is the meaning of diverse volumeean-respect!

Thanks. I just love music! Of course most people think I'm nuts when my iTunes is on shuffle and their favorite song gets followed by Silver Apples or the Frogs or Mayhem.

Fun Fact: Brought the Trap Door mix to a Dead Head/Rocker beer pong party just to mess with them......and they loved it!

volumen said:
    LaserWolf said:

I agree. I'm just saying it's easier to say everything is great when you only have 20 songs. Not that being black in his time and dying young was easy.

At lot of band like Kool have stood the test of time and have had to change with the times even if it wasn't to my liking. So I'm willing to forgive the "Forever" LP. Leave it to Batmon to shit on Kool and the Gang!

Entire has a new meaning?

volumen said:

I agree. I'm just saying it's easier to say everything is great when you only have 20 songs.

Thats what I was going for. His catalog is larger than Willis Alan Ramsey and the RCO All Stars and about the size of BP'sBD.

Gives me a chance to post

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Batsumi.

• volumen said:
    Thanks. I just love music! Of course most people think I'm nuts when my iTunes is on shuffle and their favorite song gets followed by Silver Apples or the Frogs or Mayhem.

The Frogs! Yes!

Should be on my list.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    NICK DRAKE

Three fantastic albums. Such a shame he died so young.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Michael Franks
    Otis
    Herbie (there is one tepid, "..Da Drum" but, meh...)
    Booker Ervin
    Lee Morgan (although I may have not heard everything)
    Billy Childs

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Michael Franks
    Otis
    Booker Ervin
    Billy Childs

Da Drum was the album that stopped me in my Herbie tracks....another toe-curling record by a musical great and their less great adult offspring.. What's worth checking after that?

Not so much a case of celebrating the entire catalog as happily forgiving their worst trangressions:

Meditation Singers
    Esther Phillips
    George Benson (he's got a lot to forgive)
    Bill Evans
    Eddie Cano
    Tony Joe White
    Ellen McIlwaine
    Horace Silver

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    After that, "River" is good if you like the Joni catalogue. Particularly, the Norah Jones and Tina Turner tracks on that are nice.

I'll check it - thanks.

Flomotion said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Michael Franks
    Otis
    Booker Ervin
    Billy Childs

Da Drum was the album that stopped me in my Herbie tracks....another toe-curling record by a musical great and their less great adult offspring.. What's worth checking after that?

Not so much a case of celebrating the entire catalog as happily forgiving their worst trangressions:

Meditation Singers
    Esther Phillips
    Bill Evans
    Eddie Cano
    Tony Joe White
    Ellen McIlwaine
    Horace Silver

Esther Phillips is pretty solid. I was going to do some gospel groups, but decided not to. I wanted to do more jazz people, but the ones I was thinking of have huge catalogs. Ellen McIlwaine has that unlistenable lp on UA and also more recent stuff I have never heard.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    de la soul
    ghostface
    slim smith (with the techniques, the uniques and solo)

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Personally, Sonic Youth. I know they get tedious for a lot of people but I always find interesting stuff in the way they fuck with guitar tunings and sounds. Now the side projects, LMSYRT...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    volumen said:
    LaserWolf said:

im saying though...kng kept churning out classics well past the disco era, but EVERYTHING certainly wasnt dope.
    its real real hard imo for artists with over 4-5 records. super strong early ends of the catalog usually take a dive as new eras force changes. the great ones can transition, but rarely with not a clunker

i hated to be boring with jimi, bob, beatles, but they seem to be the solidest over a span.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Co-sign Ghostface.

U.G.K.
    D.J. Screw
    Big Mike
    Scarface

ive hardly kept up with him in the years after Mmmm Food, but prior to that, id say MF DOOM

• asstro said:
    Personally, Sonic Youth. I know they get tedious for a lot of people but I always find interesting stuff in the way they fuck with guitar tunings and sounds. Now the side projects, LMSYRT...

Nah, they ruined it with a couple of volumes of that 1-7 or whatever it was.

Bands that run for that long inevitably run out of steam.

Except for the Dead C.

LaserWolf said:
    Flomotion said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Michael Franks
    Otis
    Booker Ervin
    Billy Childs

Meditation Singers
    Esther Phillips
    Bill Evans
    Eddie Cano
    Tony Joe White
    Ellen McIlwaine
    Horace Silver

Esther Phillips is pretty solid. I was going to do some gospel groups, but decided not to. I wanted to do more jazz people, but the ones I was thinking of have huge catalogs. Ellen McIlwaine has that unlistenable lp on UA and also more recent stuff I have never heard.

I know exactly what you're saying about Ellen McIlwaine but she still holds a certain fascination for me. Even the unlistenable stuff ... I guess it's that force of nature thing she has going for her.

How about Prince?
    Who has heard the entire catalog?
    I think I like all the lps I know. Maybe a few eh songs, but can't think of a complete loser.

LaserWolf said:
    How about Prince?
    Who has heard the entire catalog?
    I think I like all the lps I know. Maybe a few eh songs, but can't think of a complete loser.

Come is questionable as a full LP.

linton kwesi johnson
    evrything i heard up to and including the More Time LP were solid

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    asstro said:

sonic youth falls in the opposite category for me. along with frank zappa and the moi, i love most of sonic youth's stuff, but there is alot of crap in between

for me, tribe, galt macdermot and thelonious get pretty much unconditional love

• Donovan
    Boards of Canada