Dudes who listen to The Fall

2»

Comments

• This site is your friend when it comes to Fall lyrics: http://annotatedfall.doomby.com/

And The Fall Online have threads on best albums, advice for people wanting to know where to start etc:
    http://z1.invisionfree.com/thefall/index.php?

Me, I always tell people to start with the most recent one, then Hex, then any three at random so long as they are at least 4 years apart. And then just get them all.

• LazarusOblong said:
    soulcitizen said:
    Does the content translate outside the north of England, it's very of its time and place? (Genuine question)

No, it really doesn't.

But it doesn't matter to me. I don't care what the lyrics mean. It's not relevant to the appeal of the band.

I don't agree with this at all. There is an element of Salford-specificity, especially maybe early on. But it's not remotely true of The Fall's output as a whole. And even where the lyrical inspiration is Northern, he most often writes cryptically and in cut-up fashion, which means the songs can be universalised. Perhaps when The Fall started out they had the aim of reflecting their own local experience, but MES rapidly outgrew that. You know, although he always returns to Prestwich, he's lived in the States, and in Edinburgh, and has had an American wife while his current wife is Greek via Germany. You can't accuse him of parochialism!

Many of the songs are about or mainly concerned with London, like Deer Park. And there is also Edinburgh Man, which is self-explanatory.

There are songs about other countries, like Iceland.

There are songs concerned with the U.S, like Chicago, Now!, L.A., Pittsville Direkt, The Steak Place.

• Scott said:
    So with 20+ studio albums, what are the live shows like? One song from each LP, or do some just get ignored?

Well, the songs played at their most recent gig were (with first release date):

Victrola Time (2012)
    Hungry Freaks, Daddy [Frank Zappa & The Mother of Invention cover, from Freak Out, 1966. First (live) appearance on record by The Fall, 2006]
    Wolf Kidult Man (2008)
    I've Been Duped (2008)
    Strychnine [Sonics cover. First covered live 1992, first appearance on live album, 1995]
    Mister Rode (2013)
    Remainderer (2013)
    White Lightning [Big Bopper cover, first recorded release 1990]
    Cowboy George (2010)
    Amorator! (2013)
    Theme From Sparta F.C. (2003)

• I'm Into CB!

• dannyno said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    soulcitizen said:
    Does the content translate outside the north of England, it's very of its time and place? (Genuine question)

No, it really doesn't.

But it doesn't matter to me. I don't care what the lyrics mean. It's not relevant to the appeal of the band.

I don't agree with this at all. There is an element of Salford-specificity, especially maybe early on. But it's not remotely true of The Fall's output as a whole. And even where the lyrical inspiration is Northern, he most often writes cryptically and in cut-up fashion, which means the songs can be universalised. Perhaps when The Fall started out they had the aim of reflecting their own local experience, but MES rapidly outgrew that. You know, although he always returns to Prestwich, he's lived in the States, and in Edinburgh, and has had an American wife while his current wife is Greek via Germany. You can't accuse him of parochialism!

Many of the songs are about or mainly concerned with London, like Deer Park. And there is also Edinburgh Man, which is self-explanatory.

There are songs about other countries, like Iceland.

There are songs concerned with the U.S, like Chicago, Now!, L.A., Pittsville Direkt, The Steak Place.

Yeah, okay. See post #30 in the thread, where I sort of backtracked on that earlier post. I like your cutup/universalized insight.

Smith wrote some songs which are totally clear - take "How I Wrote Plastic Man," for instance, one of his best - but that cutup process definitely allows listeners to enjoy Fall songs without being in on the underlying meaning.

I THINK this song is about an addict dying before Christmas, but maybe not:

No Christmas for John Quays
    Come on get a bit of fucking guts into it
    What what
    Well the powders reach you
    And the powders teach you
    But when you find they can't reach you
    There is no Christmas for junky
    He thinks he is
    More interesting
    Than the world
    Ah but five fags
    Puts him in a whirl
    I'll have a packet of three-five fives
    You fucking [full of money] or something for Christ's sake?
    I'll have a packet of three-five fives
    I'll have 20 of those over there
    I'll have 20 No.6 for a headache
    And I've had enough right there, stop
    (Why is this)
    Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah
    He spits in the sky
    It falls in his eye
    And then he gets to sitting
    Talking to his kitten
    Talking about Frankie Lymon
    Tell me why is it so?
    Tell me why is it so?
    Why did the sky break today?
    Why did this happen today?
    He gets out of his face with the Idle Race
    He gets out of the room with this tune
    Although the skins are thin
    He knows its up to him
    To go out or stay in
    I'll stay in
    I'll stay in
    Have a break
    You
    Me
    X-Mas
    X-Mas
    Well the powders reach you
    And the powders teach you
    But when you find they can't reach you
    There is no Christmas for junky
    There is no girls
    Just the traffic passing by
    Bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye
    Open the room, there's a cloud of smoke
    Will you fucking get it together instead of showing off?
    Give me one
    Give me B
    Give me three
    Give me D
    No X-mas for John Quays