Preston Love's Omaha Bar-B-Que

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
SOrry if this comes across like a "", but I just picked this up yesterday, and I really don't know much about it.Just curious if this record is easy to come by? It's nice as hell though... figured it'd be more blues, but it's pretty much all funk, accept for two standard blues tracks. This a cheap record...? I paid about 12 bucks for it, which is alot for me, so I'm just curious...

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

SOrry if this comes across like a "", but I just picked this up yesterday, and I really don't know much about it.

Just curious if this record is easy to come by? It's nice as hell though... figured it'd be more blues, but it's pretty much all funk, accept for two standard blues tracks. This a cheap record...? I paid about 12 bucks for it, which is alot for me, so I'm just curious...

I think it's about a $40 record... it's really good, though, which is more important.

• SOrry if this comes across like a "", but I just picked this up yesterday, and I really don't know much about it.

Just curious if this record is easy to come by? It's nice as hell though... figured it'd be more blues, but it's pretty much all funk, accept for two standard blues tracks. This a cheap record...? I paid about 12 bucks for it, which is alot for me, so I'm just curious...

I think it's about a $40 record... it's really good, though, which is more important.

Agreed. I was just curious... It's a nice feeling finding something on the cheap... Wouldn't sell anyhow, I keep everything except multiples, and actually cherish the commons as much, or more, than the rares.

Peace...
    FNM

• REISSUE RIGHT??

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    REISSUE RIGHT??

Looks like an OG - gatefold first issue.

There is a second issue which isn't gatefold, and has some cartooned on orange and red 'flames' emblazoned across a 1/3 of the front sleeve.

Courtesy motown's reviews section -

Some great music, but not the best produced album in the world.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    REISSUE RIGHT??

there isn't a reissue of this, is there????????

"kool aid" is my joint...

• REISSUE RIGHT??

yes. look at that little beret guy in the bottom left hand corner. the same re-issue little guy from the joe jones/prestige re-issues. peace, stein. . .

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    REISSUE RIGHT??

yes. look at that little beret guy in the bottom left hand corner. the same re-issue little guy from the joe jones/prestige re-issues. peace, stein. . .

damn! good eye, nephew!

• The picture is probably from the CD -reissue. No vinyl reissue, exept for the 70??s 2nd issue with the flames. I had the Kent issue once, a very nice record.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    REISSUE RIGHT??

Spotted - BGP logo.

• REISSUE RIGHT??

Naw man, if the reissue has the little guy, than mine is original... Got it at Hard Off. Looks very original to me, and yeah, its gatefold. That pic I just pulled from google search.

Peace...
    FNM

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Wow, somebody used something I said in their location.

I like that record too.

• Yes, that is me I guess. Those were such nice sentences, hope you dont mind.

• Options
    REISSUE RIGHT??

I got a Kent 45 of Kool Aid i anyones needs it.

K.

• Wow, somebody used something I said in their location.

I like that record too.

your life is now complete

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    there we go. Thanks

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Some great music, but not the best produced album in the world.

Isn't this one of those albums where the backing band (minus Love) is basically Johnny and Shuggie Otis overdubbing instruments till the cows come home? It does sound mechanical at times, when they do that (there's a grip of elpees on Otis' Blues Spectrum label with the same setup), but this Preston Love elpee is still a killer.

• actually there is 3 presses of this record...the original (gatefold), the 2nd press (non-gatefold), and the reish reissue...

used to be quite a hot record in the early 90's (I believe it sold for at least $75-125)...I personally like it...got it years ago...and haven't seemed to part with it...I don't see it much...at all...(that includes both the 1st and 2nd press)...