How to childproof an Expedit?

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
I'm sure some of you have been through this before. There's got to be a way to keep teh babies from pulling your records out fo the bottom shelves.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    something like this?

fireplace accessory places might have something usable

there may be baby gates that are long enough with ends that can bend/wrap and connect to the expedit or wall depending on where your unit is .

pretty soon his reach will extend to the bottom two and then three...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Pack the records really tight.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Just pack them tightly enough into those lower shelves so that little hands can't pull them out and they'll soon lose interest. The more elaborate the safeguards you come up with, the more tantalising the forbidden fruit seems to those evil little geniuses.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Awesome advice! Now I just need to figure out how to baby-proof a bunch of other stuff.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    You should just world-proof the baby!! Problem solved!!!

:D

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Raers on the top shelves.

• "what is your fascination daddy's forbidden closet of mystery?"

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "Keep your legs together, that's how."

(┬® My Aunt Cindy)

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    "what is your fascination daddy's forbidden closet of mystery?"

that made me chuckle

• chicken wire for everything. including contraception.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Easy: throw the records away and fill the shelves with books and toys. You won't have time to listen to them anymore.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Strategically placed thumb tacks...That'll learn 'em.

Packing the bottom records tightly, mixed with putting the least desirable/valuable records on the bottom shelves should do the trick.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts

www.hireamidget.com

• whatwhatwhatwhat 89 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Easy: throw the records away and fill the shelves with books and toys. You won't have time to listen to them anymore.

Cosine this! Raers on top, everyday listening in the middle rows, stuff for the kids in the bottom rows.
    Also, make sure the Expedit is well anchored to the wall. You never know when Spiderman will ascend the Tower of Vinyl!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    - Buy one shelf's worth of crappy albums

- Sprinkle liberally with hot sauce

- Place them on the bottom shelf

- Let the lil' critter have at them

- Problem solved

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

pack them tightly (use books to fill gaps if your genre section is not filled to the brim)
    dont let the plastic sleeves stick out
    pray

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Attach doors, or just get a piece of ply and add some brackets to the edges of the shelves that will allow you to slide free or un-attach the cover.

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Cats, not kids are my problem, sharpening their claws on the spines, I just can't use bottom shelves at all