Let's talk about pizza

124»

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    guanciale

LMSYRT.

That stuff tastes like crispy back sweat.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    in my time working with food and such i have never messed with egg on my pizza not once, i am not really a fan of sunnyside up eggs either , so the thought of a completely runnin egg yolk all over my pizza almost kills it for me..

i havent gone back through all the posts but does anyone mess with Gluten free pizza dough? and have any recipes? i need to step up this portion of my pizza game...big tyme!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    Gluten free pizza dough?!

That is a sticky wicket. Gluten is what gives pizza dough its chewiness and holds it together. I've made a variety of whole wheat and multigrain doughs, and have had to add vital wheat gluten or high-gluten bread flour to keep the dough from falling apart.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:

i havent gone back through all the posts but does anyone mess with Gluten free pizza dough? and have any recipes? i need to step up this portion of my pizza game...big tyme!

Yes. I do gluten free pizzas all the time, but I call them tacos.

oh i know not foxing with the gluten is a messed up game - i go and buy gluten free pita's and make pizza from them, but i need some "doughy like texture" for once... the wive has been messing with xanthum gum and gluten free flours and a variety of other stuff, but nuthin concrete yet...a lot of stuff that has come out like concrete though.. blech!

*i hate being gluten free 15 years ago i worked in a resturant and could eat whatever i wanted whenever i wanted...and now things done changed for the worst... no chance of looking back now, unfortunately

Polenta is gluten free?
    I would happily eat grilled pizza toppings with polenta.

^^ true i never thought of that...not sure if you could make a pizza out of it though, but it might be worth a try.. but i would imagine it would crumble apart on you?

I would grill or roast the veggies and meat and cheese separate.
    You could throw them on the pizza stone.
    Heat the polenta separate, you can try to do it firm.
    Put your sauce over the polenta, then throw the toppings on top of that.

It will not be pizza. It will be polenta with all kinds of good stuff on top. Eat with a fork.

My opinion is always don't try to make fake food, dairy-less cheese, gluten free pizza crust, meatless burger, sugar free cake.
    Polenta can't substitute for pizza dough, but it is delicious in it's own right.
    Just my way of thinking.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Where I used to live a really good pizzeria sprang up out of nowhere. They had a wood burning stove and everything despite the fact that the majority of their clientele would've been happy with just above frozen pizza standards. Of course they didn't last and closed down within a year or so but.. they made a really good gluten free pizza. like so good you could barely tell. They also sold ready made gluten free bases. There's a loads of options out there these days, so you can make a pretty darn good gluten free pizza. They use stuff like cassava starch or rice flour in place of bread flour iirc.

My dad had to go gluten free for a while back in the 80s early 90s. Shit was an absolute nightmare back then because barely anyone had heard of such a thing, modified (wheat) starch was in absolutely everything, and the gluten free options you could find were fucking awful cardboard gack. These days you're spoilt for choice.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    despite the technological advances there is still yet to be a good gluten free base for a few reasons, the only way you might get one to taste reasonable is if you have an amazing oven (stone base/wood fired), even then its an uphill battle

yeah i knew it wasn't going to come easy and there would have to be some effort, i don't mind a thin crust pizza, but going to a grocery store and buying some processed "glutino pizza flatbread" is a sausage killer for me...its good to have the option available to me though at the same time, but when i used to make my own dough, i added herbs and spices, garlic and "rocked it out", the good thing is that there are options and loads of different gluten free flours on the market, just need to find the right combo of ingredients and boom goes the dynamite..

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I actually saw gluten-free doughs at the supermarket last weekend from a company that usually makes very good doughs, so I guess it's possible. I'll check the ingredient list if they're there this week and report back.

On tap for this weekend: chipotle chicken pizza with corn, black beans, red peppers, and cheddar. the question is, do i go with tomato sauce or salsa for the sauce?