boiler room

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    tech12z said:
    vintageinfants said:
    james said:
    just trying to figure out where to look and what to do with their hands.

my thoughts on basically every "cool" party in toronto i've been to in the last decade

co-signed like whoa.

Come come, a few beers in and the choices are endless*

Morph the playing of an 8ft-high air-keyboard (a la Bobby Enriquez) into the ringing of simultaneous doorbells into illustrating the dimensions of a box in three planes, into Kung-Fu Vogue into The Mashed Potato into hitching a ride into scrolling "Peace" Shades (a la Travolta/Thurman) into the Cossack.

Repeat.

BONUS : If they put the strobe on, do the Echo & The Bunnymen "Self Boxing" move.

If you didn't come to party, don't bother ringing my simultaneous doorbells.

*Requires willpower.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Sobriety Won said:
    Here is one of the best DJ's on the planet 'Mr Thing' using the novelty factor of vinyl records & shitting over all digital DJ's in the process.

Oh shit...this one is sick. Thanks for sharing. Just so you know, though...

Even your personal 'Best DJ on the planet' is a microwaver...which is fine. It's simply a question of do you use it as a tool to legitimately perform or do you hide a lack of skill behind it...this dude clearly does the former.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Well...this damn thread tossed me head first into a deep BoilerRoom clip search. There are some truly cringe worthy awkward goings on at these see-and-be-seen circle jerks...this one might be my favorite. DJ is drunk as fuuuuuuuuck....

I love when DJ's try to make fucking with the EQ look like a performance. Also accidentally stoping the sound altogether multiple times is pretty enjoyable too.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Product Placement In Da Clurb.

The landscape has changed for the worst.

I remember when it were all trees around here...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sobriety Won said:
    Here is one of the best DJ's on the planet 'Mr Thing' using the novelty factor of vinyl records & shitting over all digital DJ's in the process.

The transition between songs at 3:45.

I've never seen a dj work so hard for such a simple segue. He was changing the pitch, bringing it back 15 times over in his headphones the minute leading up to the song change. I was like damn, what kinda crazy thing is he about to do? And then...eh, I guess just that.

I dunno know about this dude, dudes.

Which is why I don't want to see what the dj is doing. Get back up in the booth where you belong. We're here to listen/dance to music, not to watch a nerd being all technical.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Which is why I don't want to see what the dj is doing. Get back up in the booth where you belong. We're here to listen/dance to music, not to watch a nerd being all technical.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I will not dispute your larger point, but at pretty much every function I've ever been to where shit really got taken around the corner, the dj was at floor level.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    I will not dispute your larger point, but at pretty much every function I've ever been to where shit really got taken around the corner, the dj was at floor level.

Yes.
    And we've even seen photos of Harvey playing at floor level and I have no doubt he turns it out.

I don't know what the magic crowd + DJ formula is...being at floor level encourages spectating over dancing to some degree, but I've been to parties where the DJ is on a large stage and still there are teams of people standing around facing the stage, looking up toward where you can't see what his/her hands are doing anyway. Lamest vibe ever.

james said:
    HarveyCanal said:

It's the opposite for me. As soon as you place a visual target in the midst of a club experience, where people are doing drugs in order to get fully lost in the music, it's no longer a club experience but more of a concert experience.

And nowadays when you do that, you automatically get the 20 dorks standing there recording that visual target on their phones.

HarveyCanal said:
    I've never seen a dj work so hard for such a simple segue. He was changing the pitch, bringing it back 15 times over in his headphones the minute leading up to the song change. I was like damn, what kinda crazy thing is he about to do? And then...eh, I guess just that.
    I was actually somehow more revolted by some sequence in there where while he's got one 45 playing, he not only re-sleeves the last 45 he played, but takes a minute right there to put it back in its little plastic record bag. I ain't heard of that.

james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    I was actually somehow more revolted by some sequence in there where while he's got one 45 playing, he not only re-sleeves the last 45 he played, but takes a minute right there to put it back in its little plastic record bag. I ain't heard of that.

Ha, I noticed that too.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    james said:
    HarveyCanal said:

LOL, YUNV?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

And nowadays when you do that, you automatically get the 20 dorks standing there recording that visual target on their phones.

I cannot understand this for the life of me. The recording is going to be both unwatchable and unlistenable. You know damn well that's how it's going to be. So why must you experience everything by way of your phone?

DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I cannot understand this for the life of me. The recording is going to be both unwatchable and unlistenable. You know damn well that's how it's going to be. So why must you experience everything by way of your phone?

It doesn't have to be anything to get recorded either. It could be someone just grabbing the mic to say that drinks are a dollar off the next hour and some fool will be recording it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:

It doesn't have to be anything to get recorded either. It could be someone just grabbing the mic to say that drinks are a dollar off the next hour and some fool will be recording it.

Not surprisingly, I read recently that people's memories of events that occurred while they were taking videos of them were poorer than if they were just experiencing them. These people are failing at life on every level.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you record shit so you can throw it up on the internet to talk about where you're at
    minute by minute

• DB_Cooper said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Not surprisingly, I read recently that people's memories of events that occurred while they were taking videos of them were poorer than if they were just experiencing them. These people are failing at life on every level.

there was a study conducted by neurologists a few years back that proved that the separation of self through perspective [in this case, 'cellphone'] has an immediate affect on it's transmission of information to and from the brain. to vaguely summarize their results, if you burn your hand on a stove you could reduce the amount pain experienced by looking at the affected extremity through reversed binoculars. the sensation of experiencing that phenomena as 'further away' caused the brain to think it was a part of something else entirely, thus modifying the amount of impact on the brain.

so yeah....

cellphones man.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    the sensation of experiencing that phenomena as 'further away' caused the brain to think it was a part of something else entirely, thus modifying the amount of impact on the brain.

so what you're saying is that people recording concerts on their gigantic ipads are getting a fuller experience?

They're afraid that if they look at something directly, instead of via a mirror or through a phone, that they'll turn to stone.

I blame Burgess Meredith.

ppadilha said:
    vintageinfants said:
    the sensation of experiencing that phenomena as 'further away' caused the brain to think it was a part of something else entirely, thus modifying the amount of impact on the brain.

so what you're saying is that people recording concerts on their gigantic ipads are getting a fuller experience?

No, quite the reverse.

• I know Mr Thing uses Serato to play new music to children to get paid & J Dilla tribute gigs.

I would not have posted that for obvious reasons.

The fact he took a while to drop another record, well sometimes it takes a while to try something but it just doesn't work out.

That's live DJ'ing with records for you, you cant just push a button to another track or edit point.

And yes he puts his records back in his sleeves.

?

Yeah, the archival drive of memory is based on a presupposition of loss. We remember things as a way of keeping them. If there's less danger of something going away, we have less motivation to remember it.

A little while back I was talking with my man about this interview I read with Mark Leckey, the artist who did Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore (which, to keep it somewhat on-topic, is among other things a lot of really excellent footage of nightclub dancing). Leckey said that he felt personally and creatively crippled by his nostalgia for the club-going of his younger days, burdened by always trying to remember and recapture that era, and that a big part of the reason he assembled this video is so all that stuff would officially be documented and on the record, fully archived and accessible, and so maybe he could quit thinking about it so fucking much.

I somehow doubt that's what all these cellphone drones are about, but, you know, there it is.

It's a pre-cursor for no longer needing to remember shit, as the more we get plugged into the hive mind, the more we can just download our memories from an outside source. And fuck it, might as well artificially enhance that shit while we're at it.

Better living through circuitry.

james said:

Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore (which, to keep it somewhat on-topic, is among other things a lot of really excellent footage of nightclub dancing).

I usually turn the volume off for this, it's brilliant:

I somehow doubt that's what all these cellphone drones are about

If somebody had pitched Facebook to me 20 years ago I would've grossly underestimated people's desire for a full/real-time self-editable vanity project. But then I'm no Warhol.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Amercian culture is a sped up Amen braek.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Sobriety Won said:

The transition between songs at 3:45.

I dunno know about this dude, dudes.

Ummm...maybe it's because it wasn't the right time to bring it in yet so rather than just stand there still and awkward he just spent a little extra time preparing the segue? I do that shit all the time. It's like jogging in place when the crosswalk is red.

But yeah, like you said...don't watch him. Or, in other words,
    Just don't click on the thread.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

there was a study conducted by neurologists a few years back that proved ... if you burn your hand on a stove you could reduce the amount pain experienced by looking at the affected extremity through reversed binoculars.

Ummm, did these neurologists have people burn themselves on stoves and then look through the wrong end of the binocs? Or did they go out and find people who had burned themselves on stoves while looking through the wrong end of the binocs and interview them on how it felt?

Herm said:
    It's like jogging in place when the crosswalk is red.

Exactly! It's a crime against humanity.

Really, Herm, you job in place at red lights?

• HarveyCanal said:
    Herm said:
    It's like jogging in place when the crosswalk is red.

Exactly! It's a crime against humanity.

Really, Herm, you job in place at red lights?

I assume you don't jog in the city or DJ with records.