boiler room

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
love the sets
but how cringe worthy are the "audiences"?

might see

on saturday

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Bolier Room is a gay bar in NYC.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    but how cringe worthy are the "audiences"?
    The audiences in those videos always strike me as behaving more or less like most people here would behave. Some are into it, some are not, but the majority are just trying to figure out where to look and what to do with thier hands.

You gonna go and turn it up, though?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There was a good parody version on youtube called 'Toilet Room' featuring a guy from Swamp 81 djing and a bunch of people dancing in a toilet. It was surprisingly vibesy. unfortunately it's been made private.

• james said:
    just trying to figure out where to look and what to do with their hands.

my thoughts on basically every "cool" party in toronto i've been to in the last decade

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    there was one in montreal with a great lineup

and man what a mess on the audience level..so many get me on the guestlist annoyance and this irritating girl camera hogging doing vogue poses for like 45 minutes i am sure you can figure out who she was

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    pcmr said:
    girl camera hogging doing vogue poses for like 45 minutes i am sure you can figure out who she was

lol Not really...I am seeing three potential candidates

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bassie said:
    pcmr said:
    girl camera hogging doing vogue poses for like 45 minutes i am sure you can figure out who she was

lol Not really...I am seeing three potential candidates
    Ditto. Though I'm assuming that pcmr is referring to miss lady in the foreground working the Thandie Newton/Minnie Mouse, there's a lot of contenders in that frame.

Shout out to all my long-haired ladies in the clurb who use the "lifting my hair to cool off" gesture as a smokescreen for spending inordinate amounts of time striking goddess poses.

Same shout to all my dudes with dreads running that same game--I see you, players!

Yes, yes--we all see you....

• I watched a boiler room set with Q-bert last night, and there is such a sorry looking group of wall-warts standing around looking at phones and hands in pockets that you wonder how the fuck they made it to that place at that time to see qbert?

*an extra note on that - is Qbert and/or mix master mike going to get past this uncomfortable "I look like I am using Serato/Traktor for the first time" bullshit, I lot of the time it just looks like they are trying to figure out WTF is exactly going on - staring at their laptop trying to make sense of it all, and it seems like its impossible for him to "get into" what he's doing

• dj_cityboy said:
    *an extra note on that - is Qbert and/or mix master mike going to get past this uncomfortable "I look like I am using Serato/Traktor for the first time" bullshit, I lot of the time it just looks like they are trying to figure out WTF is exactly going on - staring at their laptop trying to make sense of it all, and it seems like its impossible for him to "get into" what he's doing

Haha! that's just what every microwave user looks like.

The Pete Rock one is so bad on so many levels

• I love Q-Bert, but let's be honest here, you don't really go to see him if you want to dance.

• prof_rockwell said:
    I love Q-Bert, but let's be honest here, you don't really go to see him if you want to dance.

true but still its not like he was going nutso-futso on the ol 1's and 2's, he was completely letting beats play and just cutting over them, I saw Qbert play during the QFO release - that shit was un-dance-able..

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    There's just one going on now in Chicago. Seeing Paul Johnson DJing so close to the CDJs in his wheelchair, crowd jubilant, token cute Asian girls dancing up front, Paul heavily EQing the disco house - it all almost brought a tear to my eye. And yet I'm so out of the loop that I don't even know what club it's taking place.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    This ones pretty guud:

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    facesd said:
    This ones pretty guud:

Yup. I'm a fan of DJ Rashad and that juke/footwork sound in general. Looking to see what he does in 2014.

• vintageinfants said:
    james said:

my thoughts on basically every "cool" party in toronto i've been to in the last decade

co-signed like whoa.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I think it's a great idea to experience a DJ's set, but would prefer them if the cameras were somehow less intrusive so the crowd aren't so awkward. Some good sets to be heard though. Think I prefer the ones where the focus is on the music as opposed to how 'wild & crazy everyone is getting'...

• dj_cityboy said:
    I watched a boiler room set with Q-bert last night, and there is such a sorry looking group of wall-warts standing around looking at phones and hands in pockets that you wonder how the fuck they made it to that place at that time to see qbert?

Maybe he's finally tired of making the same scribbly sounds after 20 years.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Fantastic...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    tech12z said:
    vintageinfants said:
    james said:

co-signed like whoa.

Cool is so 2004. Time to move on to "good" and "fun" and "not on Ossington/Queen W/Dundas W".

:lalala:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i think a lot of the "boiler room audiences are lame" thing is b/c so much of the music played at boiler rooms (at least the ones i'm interested in) is dance music with heavy roots in the Local Black Experience, whether Chicago juke or East London grime... and almost every one i see at boiler room looks like some rookie A&R guy who networked his way in and doesn't really know anything about any of the music being played... so, even when the music is great, the audience just seems like they are taking from the DJ as opposed to giving back any energy... and obv this is magnified 10x when you're at home watching your favorite DJ killing it at a gig you'd give your left nut to be at, and the entire room looks like a) they could give a fuck b) they don't know a single track being played...

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I think it depends on the jock a bit.

One of the Boys Noize ones the people went mad. Same for Optimo b2b w/ Dominic & Harry, also Ame b2b w/ Dixon.

For others, yeah, people stand around. Doesn't really bother me, since I only care about the music being played, and how it's played.

YMMV.

• There used to be a clip on Youtube that compiled all the awkward boiler room moments but I think it was deleted for copyright reasons. That was really great.

• Here is one of the best DJ's on the planet 'Mr Thing' using the novelty factor of vinyl records & shitting over all digital DJ's in the process.

• You know you've really made it when you're shitting on people, especially if you do it quietly.

• Boiler room posturing isn't anything to think too hard about.

It's pretty clear that these cats just aren't drunk enough.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    DOR said:

Hahah! Yup. Juke/footwork style of dancing looks silly most of the time, but some of the music is killer to me.

• I get anxiety with the crowd so close to the DJs, but other than that, as the sober dude in the club, I've seen how folks get down. These Boiler Room folks look pretty damn suave compared to some people I see.

On that note, I've grown to appreciate the weird dancers. As a young'un, I used to sit on the sidelines and laugh at "those weirdos" with my crew, now as an adult and as a DJ, I applaud them. Eff what anybody else thinks, just do your thing. I've even gone so far as to get on the mic and clown the clowners while giving props to the ones feelin' it however they see fit.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Sobriety Won said:
    Here is one of the best DJ's on the planet 'Mr Thing' using the novelty factor of vinyl records & shitting over all digital DJ's in the process.

Is it too obvious to say this is DJing to me? So much better watching a DJ make & correct mistakes (juggle @ 17 mins - "Fuck it!"), and his scratching, cuts and selection are near flawless.

The beat juggle with faderless scatch @ 27 min! :melt: