speaker placement question

meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
so I am looking into getting some built-in shelving in my living room for record storage and to house my stereo. The configuration of the room also means that a space for one of my speakers will have to be incorporated into the built-in shelving. The designer asked me 1) can the speaker be laid horizontally and 2) can the speaker be elevated off of the ground

I didn't really know what to tell him

The other speaker will be on the floor

Thoughts?

I assume a little off the ground would be ok, but not sure about horizontal vs vertical.

I have a pretty powerful stereo (sansui G-7500) with these sansui speakers

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    It's almost always best to not have the speaker directly on the floor.

Horizontal is OK, but they should be symmetrical and at least 2 feet or so off the floor. Generally you'd want the tweeters on the outside.

• Horseleech said:

Horizontal is OK, but they should be symmetrical and at least 2 feet or so off the floor.

Thanks.

I assume by symmetrical you mean both speakers should be oriented in the same direction (both vertical or both horizontal)?

• Equidistant from the listening position for accurate stereo reproduction!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i dont have the dopest system, i have an ART SLA4 amp and some old (really great sounding) Paisley Research Speakers, i had mine on horizontal and vertical and never noticed any difference, i did buy some Auralex Studio Monitor Isolator pads and my sound system completely changed...

i know speaker placement matters, but these isolaters were the best change i made, i had moved my speakers a few times and never had any change at all until i bought the isolators...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

For optimal sound, your speakers should be centered (forming a triangle) equidistant from your typical seating position. The speakers should be placed a minimum of 6" from the wall.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak