Eric B (R.I.P?) - Is this true?

DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Just got this info - can anyone confirm?---------------------------------------------------------------------------------One man died and another was seriously injured during a shooting at a barber's shop, police said.Two men, aged 24 and 39, were taken to hospital following the incident in Long Island on Saturday afternoon.The 39-year-old, Eric BarrIer also known as Eric B. who lived locally, died from his injuries.The 24-year-old, also from Long Island, is said to be in a serious but stable condition in hospital.West Camden Police were called to reports of several shots being fired in and around the barber's shop at the junction of Lozells Road and Wheeler Street.A force spokeswoman said no arrests had been made and appealed to anyone who witnessed the incident or had any information about it to contact police.One of rap's most influential acts during the 1980s, Eric B & Rakim made the sampling of James Brown records the main source for hip-hop's sound during the late '80s and early '90s, beginning with their stellar debut, Paid in Full.While Eric B dazzled listeners with his turntable techniques, Rakim pointed the way toward the easy-rollin' style of the '90s with his laidback raps, though forceful in content. Each of the duo's first three albums achieved gold status, and they even managed the Top Five R&B hit "Friends" in 1989.While working as a mobile DJ for New York's WBLS during 1985, Eric Barrier met William Griffin, a top MC who had grown up on Long Island. The two began recording together and emerged with "Eric B Is President."The single appeared in 1986 on Harlem's Zakia label, and became a streetsensation. Signed to 4th & Broadway the following year, Eric B & Rakim released their debut album, Paid in Full.The LP's success led to a contract with Uni/MCA in 1988, and their second album, Follow the Leader, was released that year. Two more albums followed, Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em (1990) and Don't Sweat the Technique (1992), after which the duo broke up. By the mid-'90s, Eric B. had emerged as a solo act on his own 95th Street label.

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I hope not. Where did you find?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    yeah.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Heard it was a rumor. Lets hope anyway.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I'm trying to confirm too, cuz all i got was the text.....

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    http://www.allhiphop.com/rumors/?ID=809

ERIC B DEAD?

No, No, No??? Here it is y???all ??? as far as I know Eric B is still alive and well. The source of this wack rumor is some bone head that thought it was cute to write a fake news story stating that the famous DJ was shot and killed. Well, it???s not true (to my knowledge) and, if you read the story, you can easily tell it???s a fraud. Eric B for president still???I think he could do better than the current commander-in-chief.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

While Eric B dazzled listeners with his turntable techniques

I guess this should have been my clue it was fake...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

While Eric B dazzled listeners with his turntable techniques

zing

• Haha all of you saying I hope not, RIP etc don't know nann... Eric B is the biggest scumbag in the rap world, extorted Large Professor for most of those beats, extorted Paul C, extorted Rakim, I believe extorted G Rap. Laid the blueprint for Suge Knight. That motherfucker deserves to get shot and burn in his own special level of hell.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Haha all of you saying I hope not, RIP etc don't know nann... Eric B is the biggest scumbag in the rap world, extorted Large Professor for most of those beats, extorted Paul C, extorted Rakim, I believe extorted G Rap. Laid the blueprint for Suge Knight. That motherfucker deserves to get shot and burn in his own special level of hell.

Well, I have heard the same things, but I still hope he didnt get shot. I dont wish that on anyone.

• Hm. Well, that dude definitely has some karma to pay off. I wouldn't shed one fucking tear, that's for sure.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    The source of this wack rumor is some bone head that thought it was cute to write a fake news story stating that the famous DJ was shot and killed.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    so are you saying you wouldnt piss in his mouth if his teeth were on fire?

whatever gossip people got on him, one thing is obvious... dude sucked as a dj. straight up.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Eric B is the biggest scumbag in the rap world, extorted Large Professor for most of those beats, extorted Paul C, extorted Rakim, I believe extorted G Rap. Laid the blueprint for Suge Knight.

yeah, what all did he do, as opposed to what did he get credited for? i heard he didnt do a whole lot...

excpt, i guess, a bunch of extortion.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    A Google news search turned up nothing on this. Looks like someone pasted an Eric B. promotional bio on the bottom of a news story about another Eric B., or else just put his name in there, or made up up the whole thing.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    yeah, what all did he do, as opposed to what did he get credited for?

bodyguard and investor, I believe...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    so are you saying you wouldnt piss in his mouth if his teeth were on fire?
    i'm going to use this in conversation tonight, if that's okay.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

bodyguard

he his big as shit. i actually kinda thought he looked like r's bodyguard on most of those pic covers.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

bodyguard

he his big as shit. i actually kinda thought he looked like r's bodyguard on most of those pic covers.

And you may remember him in some old publicity photos posing with a bat. From what my sources tell me, this was not just a prop.

Eric B made me wanna become a dj. Emabarassing but oh well. But seriously how many many different producers did extra P ghost for? Follow the Leader and Let the Rythm Hit em definately have their own sound, and dont sound like like large prof.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Check your post count

Large Professor did "Follow the Leader"? I thought Rakim and his brother did most of that album.

Check your post count

Large Professor did "Follow the Leader"? I thought Rakim and his brother did most of that album.

Oh snap, gotta get rid of that.

Forgot about Stevie griffin.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Eric B didn't even do the cuts right?? Wasn't it Johnny Juice??

I remember seeing Eric B & Rakim on Yo! MTV Raps and Eric B just looked like a stunned mullet high on coke not knowing what the fuck to do...

peace.

• Haha all of you saying I hope not, RIP etc don't know nann... Eric B is the biggest scumbag in the rap world, extorted Large Professor for most of those beats, extorted Paul C, extorted Rakim, I believe extorted G Rap. Laid the blueprint for Suge Knight. That motherfucker deserves to get shot and burn in his own special level of hell.

stories/details plaese
    i like this kind of thing.

• Options
    to hospital following the incident in Long Island on Saturday afternoon.

The 39-year-old, Eric BarrIer also known as Eric B. who lived locally, died from his injuries.

The 24-year-old, also from Long Island, is said to be in a serious but
    stable condition in hospital.

West Camden Police were called to reports of several shots being fired in and around the barber's shop at the junction of Lozells Road and Wheeler Street.

There is no town called West Camden on Long Island.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

And you may remember him in some old publicity photos posing with a bat. From what my sources tell me, this was not just a prop.

Eric B for Sergeant at Arms.

• While Eric B dazzled listeners with his turntable techniques

zing

It does bother me when I hear people say "Eric B had such great beats, classic material" when Rakim made the beats AND did the lyrics. And we all know the great scratching ability he possessed.....(crickets chirping)........but on the positive side, he was very involved in various quality hip hop projects and was instrumental with street marketing and Djing shows, so for that motivation alone he gets some credit.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    It wouldnt really surprise me if this had happened though....

Anybody see the "real 50 cent" dvd Jimmy Henchman put out?

If eric B wasnt a gangster, he sure as hell hung around a lot of them.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Eric B is the biggest scumbag in the rap world, extorted Large Professor for most of those beats, extorted Paul C, extorted Rakim, I believe extorted G Rap. Laid the blueprint for Suge Knight.

yeah, what all did he do, as opposed to what did he get credited for? i heard he didnt do a whole lot...

excpt, i guess, a bunch of extortion.

My understandin' is that Marley Marl handled the bulk of the production work on 'Paid in Full' includin' the scratches on the title track...

• mooneymooney 48 Posts
    Eric B didn't even do the cuts right?? Wasn't it Johnny Juice??

I remember seeing Eric B & Rakim on Yo! MTV Raps and Eric B just looked like a stunned mullet high on coke not knowing what the fuck to do...

peace.

Isn't Johnny Juice is part of the "Terminator X didn't do his own cuts rumor".

Funny story because I DJ'd at a club with X years ago and introduced him to NC's favorite hip hop scholar who asked him about it. X got real mad and when on and on anout how he did some real early work for PE.

X claims to have done the rest of the cuts including the often questioned "To The Edge Of Panic". It was real funny because he got kind of heated. In a nut shell he told us that Johnny Juice got some money, broke out of PE real early, bought a bitchin Camaro, and years later he drove around in the same beat up ride telling people he did the cuts.

Hanging with Norm aka Termintor X was defenitley one of my favarorite back in the day memories.