Music listening habits

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
I find I do my best actual "listening" in the car on my way to/from work......

At home, I'm sure it helps to have a room dedicated to listening (which I do not). I feel like listening solely to music is in constant competition with the tube and internet. First world problems for sure.

Curious. How do you dudes get down?

Comments

• a bottle of liquor helps ..... :lush: :lush:

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    best listening on my train commute to and from work, although I find it difficult to choose things to listen to. selecting mp3's off a screen is a lot more difficult than pulling out a record

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Car to work. Got a good "System". Bass-throbs-the-doorpins-R.

At work. Got a 1TB badboy hidden behind the work PC and some good in-ear phones. They leave man alone when he is concentrating on "Technical" stuff [ProcessExplorer and some of it's graphs] ;)

At home, I got about 2 hours in the evening to myself total. Usually catching up with All Other Business.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

My butler changes the records.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Usually before I go to sleep but sometimes I wake up to "SHHHHHHHHHuuuuuuhhhhhhh..........SHHHHHHHHuuuuuhhhhhhh......."

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Yuichi,

I prefer to listen to records upstairs in the music room (aka Stacks Laboratories where I cook up the beats) since it's off in the cut. I listen to joints in the family room on occasion, chillin' on the couch (with scotch).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Lately, rackord enjoyment has become more and more of a luxury.

Good times are when the wifey goes out for a night with friends and I chill to crack a few brews and sit through a few LPs (and burn to the computer while I'm at it so I can also enjoy said records on the train, etc.)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Majority is definitely during bus and train rides to and from work.

I got into a nice little ritual on Fridays in the summer where I got red and blasted music while I picked records for the next day's radio show and hung out on the front porch watching the sun go down.

I go through stages at work - depending on how much I want to block out my neighbours' voices and eating noises.

I particularly enjoy it when my friends are willing to let me blast the raps in their car off my phone.

• my best listening is in the dark with my eyes closed...i am also one to be woken up by whooshing at 5 a.m., that can't be good for the motors in my turntables.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Picture me rollin'...

• 6 pack and a stack of records at the crib

• Always at the gym. I'll listen to a bunch during my drive home. On my drive to work, its all podcasts and half the day at work is podcasts too.

• usually its nuthin but CD's in the car, I recently got my license for a 39yr old dude so I have been rockin CD's for the last few weeks and just now realizing how great of a sound system our VW has. when I am home, we have a sound system in our kitchen so we can rock tunes well we chef shit up and our house is fairly open concept so there is no need for separate system for the living room, and I have a boom-box in my shed where I have a small 4x7 foot canvas set up so before I go painting I can work out color schemes and details and shit, mainly listen to hiphop cassettes and parlay in the erbs. most of the music I listen too gets played in the studio and its where I spend most of my time while I am home and its rare when the 1200's aren't spinning.

I have music on my iPod, but I haven't removed the headphones from the case since I got my iPod5 months ago...

• These day's mostly on the ipod during my commute. Wish i had more time to listen to records at home but my setup is in the living room these day's due to lack of space so the kids tv programs tend to take priority over me . Looking to score a cheap portable on the bay so i can play some wax while i cook.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    my best listening is in the dark with my eyes closed...i am also one to be woken up by whooshing at 5 a.m., that can't be good for the motors in my turntables.

Yup, I do this fairly often......the music sounds so good with your eyes closed and just focused in on the sound...definitely puts me to sleep too..

• about a month ago i got really stoned by myself and put on te noise canceling headphones in the dark in the eames. problem is, i think i just ended up listening to 'jungleland' by springsteen 7 times.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I have 120 or so mixes I've made over the last few years that I listen to when commuting to block out traffic noise. I haven't turned on the radio in over 6 years in my car, and it's mainly because morning/early evening radio is garbage where I live.

I have a bluetooth speaker in my office at work that pairs with my iphone, and a bunch of my mixes are on the phone. So I'll shut the door and play that shit sometimes when working on proposals/reports.

I also have a portable in the living room at home with a bluetooth speaker and a stack of jazz essentials that I'll play as background after dinner now and then for my wife and 1yr old daughter. I prop my daughter up on my shoulders and dance around to the music--her giggles and shrieks of delight are the greatest sound in the universe.

Lastly, I have a setup in my basement, as well as a laptop hooked up to the TV down there. I'll mess around on the decks now and then, and use the laptop to download stuff that I play loud on bluetooth headphones.

On weekends, I'll sometimes pair my phone to the small bluetooth speaker and bring it in the washroom to listen to stuff while showering before heading out.

This thread made me realize that I might be a bit of an addict. Yikes.

"Music is my sanctuary, music is my life..."

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I have a long commute and Spotify, Mixcloud, and Soundcloud on my iPhone have been godsends. I listen to a lot of Spotify in my office at work too, I have a private office so I can listen without headphones which is nice. When I get home I rarely have downtime where I can focus on music anymore, until very recently I didn't even have a turntable set up. Trying to make more time for music at home though.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    As far as records, I tend to throw on a relatively easy-going, jazz fusion joint when I am surfing the web.

And play loud latin or funk when I am cleaning my room.....

• I find myself listening to this playlist quite often while at work which probably makes it the funkiest hotel front desk ever. Ashleys roachclip is on right now.

http://songza.com/listen/washington-d-c-soul-soul51/

• What I choose to listen to has everything to do with environment and company. The truck is where I'll blast the shit I can't blast in the living rm with my wife and kids around: read hip hop. Had Showbiz and A.G. blarin today. That said the truck will also have Inspiration Inspiration or Provisao Do Tempo goin if I'm stressed and need to simmer down. At home the records are in the living room and that's all I listen too: avg about 2 or 3 a night. Got Nucleus' Elastic rock on now. It's loud, the kid's like to here music while they fall asleep, they often ask to have something put on at this time if there's nothing playing. I couldn't fall asleep to this LP, I don't know how they do it. More experimental stuff once they're crashed though: Don Cherry, Sun Ra, Pharoah, etc. When I'm sharing the Livg rm with my wife I have to keep it smoother. The trick is good, accessible, stimulating music that won't scare her away. Though she dig's stuff like Lanquidity...
    I don't listen to music while I'm working, or when I'm exercising, gotta focus I guess. If I'm drawing that's a different story.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    for me, hip hop and rapid-fire breaks and mixes works perfectly in the car because I'm always hyper and stressed while driving. I still listen to my Kon & Amir On Track, Conmen, Soulman, DJ Muro etc tapes on the regular.

on the AM train it's usually jazz as I can concentrate more deeply. PM train is more uptempo, often jazz funk, hip hop.

at home in the evening it's back to jazz. only recently had the opportunity to set my turntable up again, but need to listen through the computer due to space/neighbour restrictions.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    On my ride to work used to be my favorite listening time. Now that has been replaced by podcasts. Joe Rogan & Bill Burr gets the most play. Set my ipod on shuffle while I'm cutting fish at work. Can't really get into it because the volume is usually low. My favorite time to listen to music is when I get home from work andI get to listen to my vinyls.