Who is the only artist to have recorded on both Strata East and...

2»

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    The Emotions (had a Motown record in the 80s) and Kim Weston are "two" of the women.

• Horseleech said:
    Nigerian percussionist Gaspar Lawal

wow, i wasn't even close, so far off the trail. i never even heard of this guy, what p-funk is he on? i went through my whole p-funk bin last night working on this, man are some of those liner notes tough to read the way they are printed over the illustrations.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Horseleech said:

wow, i wasn't even close, so far off the trail. i never even heard of this guy, what p-funk is he on? i went through my whole p-funk bin last night working on this, man are some of those liner notes tough to read the way they are printed over the illustrations.

didn't he also play in the Lion King soundtrack? Ajomase and Abiosunni are pretty nice records, cheap too.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Horseleech said:

wow, i wasn't even close, so far off the trail. i never even heard of this guy, what p-funk is he on?

On the first album. There's a lot of uncredited musicians on that one, Earl Van Dyke, Ray Monette, Bob Babbitt etc

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Electrode said:
    The Emotions (had a Motown record in the 80s) and Kim Weston are "two" of the women.

Kim Weston. That's one. Three to go.

I didn't know the Emotions were on Motown. New one on me. I was thinking of another female artist who worked as a solo. Recorded for Motown early on, although she's better known for her Stax sides.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I got Mable John and Kim Weston right off.

But the men have me stump.
    I am thinking (based on your clues) they are Jim Nabors or Scatman Crothers type celebs. But I can't think of anyone like that who ended up on Stax.
    Or perhaps someone like Dean Taylor, but no.

Was also thinking of blues guys, Albert King on Stax, Luther Allison Motown, but no crossover.
    Also thought of MLK, with the Black Forum record, but I don't think Stax did any spoken word.
    Thought about gospel, but still couldn't think of a shared artist. Did Motown have any true gospel records?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Was also thinking of blues guys, Albert King on Stax, Luther Allison Motown, but no crossover.
    Also thought of MLK, with the Black Forum record, but I don't think Stax did any spoken word.
    Thought about gospel, but still couldn't think of a shared artist. Did Motown have any true gospel records?

Okay, I'll give it up. The two male artists I was thinking of were Bill Cosby and Billy Eckstine.

Eckstine had three Motown albums in the sixties, then did three more for Enterprise (Stax subsidiary) in the early seventies.

Cosby had a singing album on Partee (Stax's comedy label) in 1974. In 1982, he had a straight comedy LP on Motown.

Stax's answer to Black Forum was Respect. Jesse Jackson was on that label, but never recorded for Motown.

Motown had Rev. Columbus Mann (one Tamla LP) plus an entire gospel subsidiary, Divinity, in the early sixties.

Shoot, I don't think I have ever seen a Divinity record. Thanks for the knowledge. There is a terrible "In Memory of..." record on Motown with Motown stars singing overly orchestrated gospel standards. (At least that's how I remember the record.)

Never would have gotten the Cosby and needed a few more days to come up with Eckstine.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    tabira said:
    Electrode said:
    Harold Vick (on Walter Bishop's "Coral Keys") and Charles Tolliver (Doug Carn's "Spirit Of New Land")

i hadn't thought of Tolliver, well done. That's 2 out of 3 then There's a least one more, probably the hardest to find.

K, I'm back after dealing w/ a ridiculous head cold that has decided to play out its end game in my ears.

This is pretty easy but in keeping w/ the original question:

Who are the Four Artists that have lead or co - lead sessions for both Stata East and Blue Note? One I didn't know about until today, which got me thinking...

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    tabira said:
    Electrode said:
    Harold Vick (on Walter Bishop's "Coral Keys") and Charles Tolliver (Doug Carn's "Spirit Of New Land")

i hadn't thought of Tolliver, well done. That's 2 out of 3 then There's a least one more, probably the hardest to find.

K, I'm back after dealing w/ a ridiculous head cold that has decided to play out its end game in my ears.

Who are the Four Artists that have lead or co - lead sessions for both Stata East and Blue Note? One I didn't know about until today, which got me thinking...

Harold vick, Clifford Jordan, Charlie Rouse and, if you accept post 1990's reconstituted blue note, Max Roach

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    tabira said:
    LoopDreams said:
    tabira said:
    Electrode said:

Harold vick, Clifford Jordan, Charlie Rouse and, if you accept post 1990's reconstituted blue note, Max Roach

Kenny Cox, Charles Tolliver?

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I was thinking of Shirley Scott, who did one on Blue Note w/ her husband: Common Touch. But it is just "featuring Shirley Scott", though she's on the cover . Not a memorable set I think. I want that Harol Vick BN, it really lovely with GG on guitar, but it never turns up on the street and I don't want to shell for it.