Which artist will you never pass up on for a buck or two?

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,574 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
PIcked up this record this weekend at a thrift:



and I realized that there are a few artist who I will NEVER pass on when it comes to a $1 record, as long as its its an OG and in reasonable condition.

What are some "relatively common" artists that you will always pick up for a $ or two that you know you will enjoy.

My list includes:

Duke Ellington
Ramsey Lewis (pretty much collected them all though...but will always upgrade if the condition is right)
Antonio Carlos Jobim
Astrud Gilberto
Marvin Gaye

How about you?
Who's discography takes up some crazy space on your expedit shelves...but didn't require too much of an investment?

  Comments


  • Ahmad Jamal

  • RishanRishan 443 Posts
    walter_chron said:
    Ahmad Jamal

  • ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 2,652 Posts
    Donovan and Steely Dan

  • skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,028 Posts
    Nick Heyward
    Prefab Sprout

  • leonleon 883 Posts
    Jorge Ben
    Prince
    Roy Ayers

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,518 Posts
    James Brown
    Boscoe

  • the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    anything recorded by RVG

  • ramsey lewis

  • Vintage Kinks LPs in good shape. I like to buy them and find them good homes for free.

  • A buck?
    Shit, I'll buy anything that looks remotely interesting for a buck.

  • FlomotionFlomotion 2,386 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    A buck?
    Shit, I'll buy anything that looks remotely interesting for a buck.

    Me too, hence reams of utter shite and an impressive 10:1 crud to quality ratio on my shelves. No Prefab Sprout, though, so there's always that...

  • Hosono.

    Even if he's only listed as playing triangle on one track, or making green tea.

  • Ramsey Lewis and Beatles/related


  • upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    swissbeatz said:

    much talked about classic soulstrut piece, not a good look i know, but for some reason i never cared to pick this album up.. never listened to it and i do have a hard time imagining anything worthwhile on the sayer, sorry.....please dont put me on the ban list!!!!!

  • upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    still grabbing this one if i see it for a buck


  • leonleon 883 Posts
    upskiboo said:
    still grabbing this one if i see it for a buck

    Yep, me too. Got 4 copies, and nobody who wants to buy or trade them b/c they already own it lol

  • upskiboo said:
    swissbeatz said:

    much talked about classic soulstrut piece, not a good look i know, but for some reason i never cared to pick this album up.. never listened to it and i do have a hard time imagining anything worthwhile on the sayer, sorry.....please dont put me on the ban list!!!!!
    .

    That LP is as appealing as a spider bite.
Sign In or Register to comment.