Pansexual Dwarf Squashes Beef, Rants Publicly!

TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
Anyone see the latest installment of The Kanye Show? "Kanye Goes on Jimmy Kimmel"?

Individually, the things he's saying make sense, but as a cohesive train of thought, I'm just not sure.

What think the Strut?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    link?

• TheKindCromang said:

the addition of "21-time grammy award winner" pretty much says it all.

• yeah, he is entertaining. i suspect that he knows his behaviour gets him a lot of attention that probably translates into decent exposure and ultimately bucks in his pocket, but on another level i think there is also something likely seriously pyschologically off with him. he may have some form of personality disorder, he may be manic or bi-polar. if that is the case, maybe he needs our sympathy rather than our scorn. one moment he is seemingly effeminate and self-effacing and the next moment he is ranting and exuding menace and bravado. the only thing consistent about his public persona is that he seems to be in a near constant state of personal flux and upheaval.

hang on to your ego!

• he's allowed to pretend he's an asshole if everyone else is allowed to pretend they're not.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    yeah, he is entertaining. i suspect that he knows his behaviour gets him a lot of attention that probably translates into decent exposure and ultimately bucks in his pocket, but on another level i think there is also something likely seriously pyschologically off with him. he may have some form of personality disorder, he may be manic or bi-polar. if that is the case, maybe he needs our sympathy rather than our scorn. one moment he is seemingly effeminate and self-effacing and the next moment he is ranting and exuding menace and bravado. the only thing consistent about his public persona is that he seems to be in a near constant state of personal flux and upheaval.

hang on to your ego!

I think it's a lot simpler than this.

he's effeminate and self-effacing when sober in front of a live camera/audience.

he's a braggadocious dick when drunk in public or when no one is watching (read: in the booth or a one-on-one interview).

pretty normal human behavior.

• rootlesscosmo said:

I think it's a lot simpler than this.
    he's effeminate and self-effacing when sober in front of a camera/audience.
    he's a braggadocious dick when drunk in public or when no one is watching (read: in the booth).
    pretty normal human behavior.

maybe. but my point is, more or less, that he seemingly swings between these extremes from minute to minute. it would not surprise me if he is self-medicating.

• at least he can say, that if he did nothing else for us as a culture, he talked long enough to get the arctic monkeys bumped.

so for that i thank him.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Doesn't beef get quashed, rather than squashed?

• metaphorically speaking, yes.....
    physically, no
    ;)

• crabmongerfunk said:
    it would not surprise me if he is self-medicating.

He is self-medicating, he's constantly high on his own ego.

• skip to 14:00 for the fireworks.

What is with his pathological inability to look at the person he is talking to?

• It feels weird to hear Kanye obsessively complain about not having proper means of distribution or production.
    Jay-Z isn't having any trouble taking care of business. What's up with this dude?!?! Is he just totally isolated?

• He has to be on some drugs or something?
    This reminds me of that charlie sheen breakdown, he ended up being on drugs too

• Can you imagine being in a relationship with this guy? How does Kimdashian even DEAL?!?!?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Where do I sign up to become one of these gazillionaire slaves?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    you can tell sway wanted to put those things on him but kept his cool. kinda have a new respect for sway as a interviewer now.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Where do I sign up to become one of these gazillionaire slaves?

Yeah, it seems like a pretty good gig.

• i love kanye's music and that.... BUT....

when it comes to talking about anything else it's like listening to a syphillitic mad man babble in his sleep. him and russell brand should hold hands and jump into a hole in the earth.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts

These recent interviews are actually making me like Kanye a bit more than I have. He obviously expected to walk into these other industries like fashion and have the same influence he does in music. I don't know or care about the details of that so a lot of what he says makes me glaze over but when it comes to his music, what is good or bad, creative process etc, I've got time for that.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    I have to say that after Sway scolded Baby Kanye, he actually got pretty lucid there (okay, RELATIVELY lucid) explaining how, between all of his different endeavors, he only has so much time and energy to go around, and he needs to be able to rely on economies of scale to get his ideas turned into products. I mean, regardless of what you think of his "output", he's clearly a really productive person; so that makes sense and it was compelling... if only for a moment.

• ketan said:
    I have to say that after Sway scolded Baby Kanye, he actually got pretty lucid there (okay, RELATIVELY lucid) explaining how, between all of his different endeavors, he only has so much time and energy to go around, and he needs to be able to rely on economies of scale to get his ideas turned into products. I mean, regardless of what you think of his "output", he's clearly a really productive person; so that makes sense and it was compelling... if only for a moment.

This is right on the money, unfortunately Kanye has a horrible way of explaining this so the average person can understand. His short temper and ego don't help at all either.

• Seriously guys?!?! I mean... no offense, but I highly doubt Kanye's creative limitations are due to a shortage of time or energy

• Not if we can go by his shockingly bad last video with equally shite music to match........."ok, huney"

TheKindCromang said:
    Seriously guys?!?! I mean... no offense, but I highly doubt Kanye's creative limitations are due to a shortage of time or energy

Yeah, I was being serious. When you think about all of the different things that he's been involved with producing (broadly) over the last few years, it sounds like a lot to take on (in addition to being a supportive, caring family member; good friend to his kin; and doing whatever else he does to relax and enjoy life). If nothing else, he's always seemed like a meticulous guy who is driven to fully realize his ideas (even if you don't personally like them...). So, yeah, I can see how someone like him might value partnerships to realizing one's ideas.

Edit: And when I say, "someone like him", I also mean someone who is clearly driven to amass enormous amounts of wealth and power. So it's not like I think he's a noble soul whose experience of injustice is cry-worthy... I'm just trying to relate.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ketan said:

Yeah, I was being serious. When you think about all of the different things that he's been involved with producing (broadly) over the last few years, it sounds like a lot to take on (in addition to being a supportive, caring family member; good friend to his kin; and doing whatever else he does to relax and enjoy life). If nothing else, he's always seemed like a meticulous guy who is driven to fully realize his ideas (even if you don't personally like them...). So, yeah, I can see how someone like him might value partnerships to realizing one's ideas.

How is this different from all the other creative, driven, ambitious, perfectionist people who have families and friends they support and care about? I think I am missing your point.

It seems like Pharrell has basically achieved everything West is trying to, through partnerships and with success....and without the ridiculous antics and tastelessly desperate need for white corporate validation. It is possible.

ketan said:

Edit: And when I say, "someone like him", I also mean someone who is clearly driven to amass enormous amounts of wealth and power. So it's not like I think he's a noble soul whose experience of injustice is cry-worthy... I'm just trying to relate.

I think cultivating an outrageous sense of entitlement might help.

The world doesn't owe Kanye West shit.

bassie said:
    ketan said:

How is this different from all the other creative, driven, ambitious, perfectionist people who have families and friends they support and care about? I think I am missing your point.

It seems like Pharrell has basically achieved everything West is trying to, through partnerships and with success....and without the ridiculous antics and tastelessly desperate need for white corporate validation. It is possible.

Not for nothing: Pharrell seems like a fellow with an even keel, while Kanye seems like an egotistical, control freak.

Oh wait, was the point to focus on what a freak Kanye West seems like? I'm sorry, pretty much everyone else who uses the internet is already dong that! I was just trying to empathize and humanize the guy with my original post.

Also, I do think the big corporations have cachet with their products that makes it much easier to have your designs/products seen by the masses and purchased by the masses. And I think you can get many different types of products (e.g., sneakers, as well as some ridiculous and ridiculously expensive t-shirt that only Kanye would design) into the hands of the masses by working with the big corporations who dominate each of those worlds.

So, while you think he's going for white corporate validation, I think he might just be trying to get his products sold.

(Edit: He might also want to own those companies to show them that he can come up and do it. And that's making me realize why I'm continuing to defend him on here. He's always referring to Mandela and Malcolm and Martin; he's clearly got a sense of his popular power and possible trajectory in a fair and unracist/classist world; and I think it's tacky to just focus on his crazy side because it suggests that this is the only thing holding him back in life. While that may be true - and who the f*ck knows - it would be really naive to ignore the possibility that he's also experiencing his own glass ceiling.)

And we're both speculating here, amirite?

bassie said:
    ketan said:

I think cultivating an outrageous sense of entitlement might help.

The world doesn't owe Kanye West shit.

I won't disagree. And while I wonder how many people are offended by his reference to Martin and Malcolm (I really don't know); if a black man wants to be the artist-ruler of CorporatePlanetEarth on some Andy Warhol-on-steroids shit, and he perceives that corporate rulers are making irrational decisions to hold him back, then I can see why he thinks they're being classist. (I really don't know why Nike didn't offer him a fantastic deal.)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    There is absolutely no doubt Kanye is human, he just hasn't got the memo.

Sway asked it, as have lots of other people, why not do it on your own? He's just trying to get his product sold? Who isn't? Let him do the work, cut his teeth, get focused and then go seek partnerships.

Classist? Like expecting to just get into the fashion industry because you are rich and famous and Kanye West?

Anyway - we see it different on almost every level. You are much kinder to his plight than I am.

Cool. I think we're probably analyzing his situation for different reasons, so we're basically talking past each other.

• kanye speaks hyperbolically with the intentions of not being checked up on it, but has the luxury of saying "i was only speaking hyperbolically" when someone actually does point out the flaws in his statements. it's a very efffective way of making a point with no blood on your hands, but the people who know that you're dead wrong will always know so, regardless of how creatively you've put the thought forward. this is not the letter of the law we're talking about here, this is very simply a matter of being a sanctimonious asshole, and a hypocrite to match. for him to so vociferously bemoan how we're slaves to money and materialism while condemning those worlds for not including him is equivalent to denouncing racism while setting fire to a cross in my opinion.