David Bryne = "New York has changed"

Comments

• there is a whole subsidized economy here that when it crashes will wreck.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    once new york had this amazing building:

now we have this:

it was always a place that dragged it's residents where it went, kicking and screaming. for better or worse. enjoy the ride.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Tl;dr but if Byrne doesnt see the inherent fuckery of a bikeshare program emblazoned all over with Citigroup logos and limited to the rich parts of town then I don't even know.

seriously, in battery park city, there are every 2 blocks and none in queens or the bronx... they are made only for tourists to ride across the brooklyn bridge to dumbo and wall street dudes to ride from murray hill to work...

i have ridden these bikes in montreal, toronto, boston, and DC, and as far as i know, the only place they have a corp name as opposed to one reflecting the city itself is NYC... wack...

In London, they are sponsored by Barclays bank.

They have to make them look shit, and kit them out with non-standard size everything, to stop folks stealing them and parting them out. Also, the pigeons like to roost on them and shit all over the saddles. But pigeons will do that anywhere in a city.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    This thread is funny. After the initial Byrne-is-old-dude-yelling-at-clouds, all the New Yorkers in here are getting their grumpy-old-man on :lol:

Horseleech said:

They aren't driven or inspired, except to seek greater comfort for themselves.

They? Well, I don't pretend I'm different. Anyone partaking in the great game of capitalism fits into this demographic. The late '90s-'06 boom was fuelled by the housing market, and the end result is the same in cities all over. Rents go up, and people living on the fringes, the outliers, the avant garde, the creatives, the hippies, the crusties, they all get squeezed out (along with the drugs, the dirt & the crime). Arts degrees are next to useless unless you're part of the top 5% or whatever who are gifted enough (or rich enough) to stay in higher education or teach. The western way of life isn't rich enough in today's competitive world to afford shit like it used to. This isn't a NY thing. Everybody has to work harder to get by.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    BATMON, my girl got mad at your ivory coast reference but couldn't really argue against it, haha. she's been there for about a year and a half and shits changed quite a bit even in that amount of time. it is what it is. all i know is that i can get to work in 20 vs 40 minutes and now have a doorman.

love fairway but shits too far and there's a best yet a few blocks away. unfortunately much easier for me to order stuff i would get at fairway from fresh direct or amazon

and yo p gunn that dog story is fucked up

and i put a shitibike sticker on some citibike kiosk thing this weekend. am i helping in the battle against evil corporate sponsorship?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    there is a whole subsidized economy here that when it crashes will wreck.
    really the only thing that will usher in the lack of __________ that everyone bemoans here tho

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    love fairway but shits too far and there's a best yet a few blocks away. unfortunately much easier for me to order stuff i would get at fairway from fresh direct or amazon

interneting your food = FAIL.

Support the local markets. youll be right above the Upper West side. pick up some fresh shit.

Your schedule is that tight? As youve mentioned.

• Morningside farmers market is solid. 110/Manhattan

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    batmon said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

interneting your food = FAIL.

Support the local markets. youll be right above the Upper West side. pick up some fresh shit.

Your schedule is that tight? As youve mentioned.
    I meant for like bulk shit that i'm not hauling around. like im not about to buy a case of coconut water and not only pay more for it locally but then have to throw taxi $ into it also. come on bro, where i'm from is all about farmer's markets and shit. I rarely eat dinner during the week so every time I've bought produce it's been a complete waste but it's nice to have like some fruit or some shit to eat when I get home.

my schedule is tight so I can hopefully outsource most of it to the gf...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Morningside farmers market is solid. 110/Manhattan
    yup yup yup

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    NYC has been slowly castrated over the last 20-30 years. Gentrification and Genericfication. Watching non-native NYers lament the "old" NY is amusing. NYC was always known for it's "character" and that character was politically incorrect, mean and rough around the edges. Ratso Rizzo's Times Square was transformed into DisNYC to create some family friendly safe haven so Mom & Dad can safely visit their 20-somethings that have turned once urban areas into their own little year round trust fund Summer camps. The "social outcasts" with the hideous NY accents are spitting on Junior's pizza that he pays for with Mommy's debit card. The homeless woman who would curse at all passerbys outside Penn Station was swept away into the night like human trash in an attempt to "clean up" the city.

NYC used to be a monster that would chew up and spit out any transplant that didn't have the balls to face it's cold hard reality. The city that was once touted "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere" has been transformed into just another anywhere. The NYer's of that golden age would never let anyone dictate what they could eat, drink or how loud their music can be. Social outcast crotch grabbers would tell you "I got ya Big Gulp right here". Subway level 42nd street record stores where the chickenhawks hung out and junkies sat in puddles of subway juice have turned into "boutiques". What gave NY it's character was that it was a down and dirty, nasty and scary place. You can't white wash a city with sanitizer and expect it to still be a petri dish of bad ass.

• Rockadelic said:
    Watching non-native NYers lament the "old" NY is amusing.

I'm glad you are amused, but when I moved here nearly 20 years ago the city was (still) much different than it is today.

Ironically, it's much more like D/FW now.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    rock you think I would have survived the old nyc or got spitten out

• The biggest singular change I've noticed as far as recent arrivals to the city is that when I first came, pretty much everyone that was here wanted to escape the generic shopping mall shit or whatever it was where they were from. I wanted to escape the cloying Petes Coffee + Volvo liberalism in Berkeley that now dominates neighborhoods like Park Slope and the Upper West Side. We all adapted and discovered how to make it in the city on very little money. Huge plates of spanish food as has been mentioned above, $4-5. Egg+cheese and Bustelo for $1.50. Subway tokens for $1 and bags of weed for $5 (or $3, although that really predates my arrival). Loosies for 10 cents or a quarter. Pass out flyers all week on Broadway to get in the club for free. My first apartment was a rat and roach den on Convent Ave split between four dudes, I think the rent was $600 and that seemed expensive. I saw that exact apartment on CL two years ago for $2500. We all worked shitty jobs, folding khakis at The Gap or making sandwiches at Au Bon Pain, selling incense and t-shirts at House Of Nubian on 8th Street or whatever. Nowadays, kids want to bring all the comforts of home with them and the city is all too happy to provide for them, though many will just move away once they decide to settle down and have kids... they never really wanted this particular life, they just wanted to bend it to their own comfort until they were done. I remember plenty of kids at NYU giving up and transferring out when I was there. That shit doesn't happen anymore, that's for sure. The president of NYU while I attended openly sought out-of-state applicants from rich families and gutted every program that subsidized local city kids' tuition. That process bears significant responsibility in how downtown has been reshaped.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    NYC has been slowly castrated over the last 20-30 years. Gentrification and Genericfication. Watching non-native NYers lament the "old" NY is amusing. NYC was always known for it's "character" and that character was politically incorrect, mean and rough around the edges. Ratso Rizzo's Times Square was transformed into DisNYC to create some family friendly safe haven so Mom & Dad can safely visit their 20-somethings that have turned once urban areas into their own little year round trust fund Summer camps. The "social outcasts" with the hideous NY accents are spitting on Junior's pizza that he pays for with Mommy's debit card. The homeless woman who would curse at all passerbys outside Penn Station was swept away into the night like human trash in an attempt to "clean up" the city.

NYC used to be a monster that would chew up and spit out any transplant that didn't have the balls to face it's cold hard reality. The city that was once touted "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere" has been transformed into just another anywhere. The NYer's of that golden age would never let anyone dictate what they could eat, drink or how loud their music can be. Social outcast crotch grabbers would tell you "I got ya Big Gulp right here". Subway level 42nd street record stores where the chickenhawks hung out and junkies sat in puddles of subway juice have turned into "boutiques". What gave NY it's character was that it was a down and dirty, nasty and scary place. You can't white wash a city with sanitizer and expect it to still be a petri dish of bad ass.

I think the grit just gets moved, not removed. The rough edges are still there, just in different places.

• if you want rough edges I recommend Newark.

I don't think the "not removed, just moved around" theory holds much water. Unless by "moved around" you mean "to other cities and states"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Ha! A common slogan down here in response to new transplants is:

Don't Dallas our Austin.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Ha! A common slogan down here in response to new transplants is:

Don't Dallas our Austin.

I feel like there's a Dallas Austin joke in there somewhere.

"hi....Fresh Direct.....yeah....account number 4926...thanx,......"

"Yes, I 'd like -

The three pack of Nutella
    A case of Coconut water, just see the brand on my last order, thank you.
    The Vanilla Soymilk thingy
    Uhhhhh......one box of Glad forceflex w/ the Freebreez scent
    The medium pack of dried cranberries
    Three large bags of Cool Ranch Doritos
    One tub of Phildelphia Cream Cheese
    One 12 pack of Ultra soft two-ply Charmin
    Uhhhhhhh.....One bag of autumn apples
    one box of Clementimes
    Three containers of the freshly squeezed Grapefruiy juice
    Two packages of Kale
    Half dozen Green/Red Bell peppers
    One bag of Bazmati rice
    One bag of Jasmine rice
    One Pre-cooked Organic chicken
    HONEY do u want anything im ordering NOW!

The service door is on Frederick Douglass if the driver doesnt know, Thanx a Bunch! Toodles!"

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The biggest singular change I've noticed as far as recent arrivals to the city is that when I first came, pretty much everyone that was here wanted to escape the generic shopping mall shit or whatever it was where they were from. I wanted to escape the cloying Petes Coffee + Volvo liberalism in Berkeley that now dominates neighborhoods like Park Slope and the Upper West Side. We all adapted and discovered how to make it in the city on very little money. Huge plates of spanish food as has been mentioned above, $4-5. Egg+cheese and Bustelo for $1.50. Subway tokens for $1 and bags of weed for $5 (or $3, although that really predates my arrival). Loosies for 10 cents or a quarter. Pass out flyers all week on Broadway to get in the club for free. My first apartment was a rat and roach den on Convent Ave split between four dudes, I think the rent was $600 and that seemed expensive. I saw that exact apartment on CL two years ago for $2500. We all worked shitty jobs, folding khakis at The Gap or making sandwiches at Au Bon Pain, selling incense and t-shirts at House Of Nubian on 8th Street or whatever. Nowadays, kids want to bring all the comforts of home with them and the city is all too happy to provide for them, though many will just move away once they decide to settle down and have kids... they never really wanted this particular life, they just wanted to bend it to their own comfort until they were done. I remember plenty of kids at NYU giving up and transferring out when I was there. That shit doesn't happen anymore, that's for sure. The president of NYU while I attended openly sought out-of-state applicants from rich families and gutted every program that subsidized local city kids' tuition. That process bears significant responsibility in how downtown has been reshaped.

This is pretty spot-on, and I've had similar experiences, though I haven't been here quite as long as you (I did also live on Convent for a while, though).

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I wanted to escape the cloying Petes Coffee + Volvo liberalism in Berkeley that now dominates neighborhoods like Park Slope and the Upper West Side..

How do you think this happened?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    if you want rough edges I recommend Newark.

I don't think the "not removed, just moved around" theory holds much water. Unless by "moved around" you mean "to other cities and states"

I'm not sure people move away from their city that easily. Central London property prices and clean-ups have just pushed the have-nots further out but they're still here. My area is rough and getting rougher as the two neighbouring boroughs get smarter and cleaner.

• Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I wanted to escape the cloying Petes Coffee + Volvo liberalism in Berkeley that now dominates neighborhoods like Park Slope and the Upper West Side..

All the people I wanted to escape from followed me.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

I'm glad you are amused, but when I moved here nearly 20 years ago the city was (still) much different than it is today.

I guarantee you NYC 1975 was hella different than NYC 1995....by the time you arrived that shit was done....and as you state, has only gotten worse.

People move to a place supposedly because of what it is and try to change it into something it never was.

• Flomotion said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    if you want rough edges I recommend Newark.

I'm not sure people move away from their city that easily.

I mean, this isn't mere conjecture. You can look it up for yourself if you're so inclined. I want to say maybe two years ago, there were a bunch of articles on this stuff, where people were moving to (Atlanta and the Poconos were pretty high on the list iirc), and whether that constituted a "reverse migration". But it's an actual thing. Sure, the poor in NYC are being pushed to the perimeter but the larger issue is that people are actually leaving as it becomes more and more expensive and untenable to live here under a certain income level.

Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

I guarantee you NYC 1975 was hella different than NYC 1995....by the time you arrived that shit was done....and as you state, has only gotten worse..

1994-2001

When I got to the East Villlage in the mid-90's there was one ATM for the area of Houston to 10th from 1st Ave to Ave D.
    By 2000, there were smoking bans, noise "radar guns" being directed towards bars, dudes getting checked for jaywalking, and more ATMs around. By the time I left DJing the bar in 2005, Laptop DJing had began its shit, Jersey/B&T traffic had moved from the West Village, condos were starting up, and Williamsburg had out-cooled EV.

Getting the homeless off the street was a BIG deal.

• Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

I guarantee you NYC 1975 was hella different than NYC 1995....by the time you arrived that shit was done....and as you state, has only gotten worse.

People move to a place supposedly because of what it is and try to change it into something it never was.

Eh... I think you're eating around the edges of something and not really saying it.

In 1985 I was eight years old and the Bay Area in the 80s was just as messy and weird and fucked up as NYC was. When I did come here it was for exactly what was happening at that moment, 1994/5... I wanted to be a part of that. I didn't come here for it to be 1975 or 1985. I'm not old or cynical enough to pretend to have nostalgia for that shit when I never lived it. I am merely hoping that somehow we can make this city better than it is TODAY. I have agency, we all do in some way. What we support, what we allow, how we cater to it. I am trying to resist the pressure to cater to this shit in my record store. Kids walk in dressed like the New York Dolls, $1000s of dollars on vintage gear and ink and they want to buy fucking Tattoo You. I'm not having it. To that end, it's good that Byrne is speaking on it (like AK said).

I'm totally aware of my role. I'm a white dude in Harlem with a Eurasian baby and a station wagon. There were drug dealers in the lobby when I moved into this building, now it's 75% white. Doesn't mean you have to be an asshole, or not be respectful of your surroundings and people that have lived here for generations. I dunno man. People adapt to cities, cities adapt to them, it's a delicate balance that currently is tipped all the way to the latter.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    batmon said:

"Yes, I 'd like -

one box of Clementimes
    Two packages of Kale
    One bag of Bazmati rice
    One bag of Jasmine rice

The service door is on Frederick Douglass if the driver doesnt know, Thanx a Bunch! Toodles!"
    haahahaa

ive used fresh direct maybe 2-3 times total. im just saying for non-perishable shit that I like to stock up on, im not being the dude with 15 trader joes bags on the train (whole foods bros would have uber service) and i'm not throwing money at a cab on top of more than likely paying more for identical shit

PatrickCrazy said:
    batmon said:

"Yes, I 'd like -

one box of Clementimes
    Two packages of Kale
    One bag of Bazmati rice
    One bag of Jasmine rice

haahahaa

ive used fresh direct maybe 2-3 times total. im just saying for non-perishable shit that I like to stock up on, im not being the dude with 15 trader joes bags on the train (whole foods bros would have uber service) and i'm not throwing money at a cab on top of more than likely paying more for identical shit

I hear ya....just hazin' , you Uptown newbie.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

All the people I wanted to escape from followed me.

you're just escaping from yourself, man!

Embrace your inner limousine liberal, stop living in conflict.