Fall clothing thread -- jackets

youknowyouknowyouknowyouknow 264 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central
Does the strut do blazers? denim jackets? spaghetti stained heather gray hoodies?

What're you guys rockin this season?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Copped one of these M&S joints while I was back in the UK.

Corduroy is a difficult line to walk for a man of my advanced years, as you're getting very close to Grizzled, Real Ale-Supping Academic With A Study Full Of Folkways Raers territory. Nevertheless, I see it all as one long extension of what Mike D once described as The B-Boy Fashion Risk - you have to be prepared to get it wrong in order to have any real chance of getting it right. After all, those natives of the five boroughs who initially appropriated Kangols, Cazals, Russian fur chapkas, Bally slippers, Triple Fat Goose jackets and so on as the cornerstones of hip-hop style probably got laughed off the block at first.

But I digress. As the leaves turn, I expect I'll be defaulting back to the old favourites once more.

Spiewak peacoat when you need to look a little smarter;

Guy Cotten fisherman's rainie for those Biblical torrents;

Nike Windrunner teamed with a fleece or hoodie when the rain isn't so ferocious;

Then, when the dark nights are upon us in earnest, begins the difficult task of balancing the desire to look good with the need to get through the winter. But that's another thread.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I've had the same tweed blazer forever, the lining is beat to hell so it's smart on the outside but hobo on the inside. Works for me.

I used to have a red leather jacket that I picked up at a thrift store in Indianapolis that was my other fall jacket. I forget the brand (some slightly upscale 80s designer that was more famous for ladies boots and purses), but it was along the lines of a member's only, some fashionista had told member's only had copied it in the 80s. It was a great jacket, but it got stolen at a bar on my birthday, during my last week in New York before I moved back to Brazil. I asked the bartender if she had seen my jacket, she said someone had been walking around asking who it belonged to but that person had long disappeared. A few minutes later the bartender calls me over and hands me my brazilian passport. I had just renewed it the day before and forgot it in the inside pocket, whoever stole the jacket was nice enough to leave my passport at the bar before taking off.

DocMcCoy said:
    Corduroy is a difficult line to walk for a man of my advanced years, as you're getting very close to Grizzled, Real Ale-Supping Academic With A Study Full Of Folkways Raers territory. Nevertheless, I see it all as one long extension of what Mike D once described as The B-Boy Fashion Risk - you have to be prepared to get it wrong in order to have any real chance of getting it right. After all, those natives of the five boroughs who initially appropriated Kangols, Cazals, Russian fur chapkas, Bally slippers, Triple Fat Goose jackets and so on as the cornerstones of hip-hop style probably got laughed off the block at first.

I just watched Beat Street last night and that movie is chock full of sartorial gambles.

• Recently bought one of these for the cooler/slightly wetter weather.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Delay said:

Very nice.

Been sporting a Burton X Reggie Yates :pasue: cardie:

"So I said to Hutch, ..."

It does look a bit smarter than Starsky when on. And his didn't have a hood.

So there.

J i m s t e r said:

I've seen a number of hipsteurs here in Porto Alegre rocking these Big Lebowski-style sweaters. Why not go whole-hog and get sweat pants and jelly sandals to go with it?

ppadilha said:
    J i m s t e r said:

I've seen a number of hipsteurs here in Porto Alegre rocking these Big Lebowski-style sweaters. Why not go whole-hog and get sweat pants and jelly sandals to go with it?

Primarily, because I have a wife for a sartorial firewall. She can pick my outfit with a variety of silent looks, but her go-to's are disdain and if-you-must.

I do have smarter stuff, it depends on who I am meeting in the day. If it's not a casual day, then the cardies and hoodies can chill 'cos I got me an Andre Villas-Boas mac:

I had one first, I must add.

Plus Russian army long grey coats, and Bob-Cratchit-Xmas-Bonus-Blowout herringbone finenesses.

• Bought this in the spring thinking I wouldnt get to wear it much, then it pissed down for 2 months. Now back on again, for dem moistening autumnal evenings.

Preferably worn with one of these:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Here, allow me to encapsulate all posts in this thread with a single image...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Yup.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    In the Bay this is all you really need for fall or winter (+ a nice rain jacket):

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Why are dudes dressing up like its first day at primary school?

Man the FUCK UP, people!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• DocMcCoy said:
    Spiewak peacoat when you need to look a little smarter;

Guy Cotten fisherman's rainie for those Biblical torrents;

That looks like a nice peacoat. I have a similarly styled one that I rock when I need to look like an adult.

I have had this North Face coat for 5 years and really love it. The pic above has another inner piece layered with it. I just have the coat shell. It's great for cold, wet weather, but transitions really well to indoors at malls, stores, etc. Of all the coats I own, it probably gets the most use because it fits so many weather conditions.

If money was no object...

After spending several minutes covetously scrutinising Ten c's take on the M-65 field jacket in 14oz on Neue Schonhauser the other week, I can say with absolute certainty that it looks and feels amazing (supposedly made from the same fabric they use for Bentley soft-tops), and is exactly what you'd expect from a company run by a couple of ex-SI/CP Company/Essemplare dudes. The tradeoff is that it will separate you from the thick end of $1300/??800 like that.

• Not a jacket but still fall-y. Any interest is this? 295 freakin' smackeroos. Regardless, I'm tempted. Probably gonna get 2 so I can flip one at some point and bring my cost down on the one. Still lookin' for that '94 indian head knit though.

*cue the peanut gallery*

• DocMcCoy said:

as an occupational hazard, i stay carhartt pretty much day in day out. ill fire on some button ups doe..... and the green army surplus jacket stays mid-range pretty much every year.

• vintageinfants said:
    and the green army surplus jacket stays mid-range pretty much every year.

• Herm said:
    vintageinfants said:

i retract my previous statement. they tend to be de rigeur in odd numbered years. two years ago haggard and used, this year trim and tailored.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Herm said:
    Not a jacket but still fall-y. Any interest is this? 295 freakin' smackeroos. Regardless, I'm tempted. Probably gonna get 2 so I can flip one at some point and bring my cost down on the one. Still lookin' for that '94 indian head knit though.

*cue the peanut gallery*

Herm,

were you in that Heatwave sweater thread from a few months back? There were a few people online willing to make custom designs with cotton/ cotton-poly thread. I think the heatwave design was quoted at $225.

get that exclusive!

• Guzzo said:

were you in that Heatwave sweater thread from a few months back? There were a few people online willing to make custom designs with cotton/ cotton-poly thread. I think the heatwave design was quoted at $225.

get that exclusive!

I was in there. Did anybody ever get 'em done??

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Herm said:
    Guzzo said:

get that exclusive!

I was in there. Did anybody ever get 'em done??

nope, but been looking into a lot of custom silkscreening/ laser printing designs for shirts.

Haven't stepped up to the knitting game yet.

Def liking the peacoat recommendation, Who else is making good fitting peacoats for the fall? I'm talking smedium sizes

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

+

(looks better open)

• Wish I had seen this last year when it was in stock would have got this Alexander McQueen McQ Cotton Military style parka (take on the fishtail).

Also wish I had seen this one by Burberry a couple years ago when it came out.

For fall I stick with my 3 year old North Face shell jacket and winter I will probably wear the Spiewak Fishtail parka I bought last year for 100 dollars unless I find something better soon.

Earth tones FTW

Guzzo said:
    Def liking the peacoat recommendation, Who else is making good fitting peacoats for the fall? I'm talking smedium sizes

go to the army surplus store. The price is good and they come in different sizes, and the peacoat has a pretty good fit to begin with. I had one for years, until it also got stolen at a bar in NYC (drunk pool playing at Sophie's in the East Village-R).

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I can't see why anyone would pay so much for a military style jacket, including the peacoat, which is a navy design. Just find an old one.

I'd also look out for pretty much anything Woolrich made in the 1980s

• Delay said:
    I can't see why anyone would pay so much for a military style jacket, including the peacoat, which is a navy design. Just find an old one.

Or get a new one for $250: http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fabric/wool/classic-32-oz-melton-wool.htm

It will last approximately forever. And they never seem to go out of style.

For the three women who still post here, check out http://www.poppyvonfrohlich.com/. It's run by a friend of ours and all her coats are made in San Francisco. My wife bought two (she couldn't help herself); both will be passed down to our daughter, undoubtedly. They're beautiful and unbelievably well made.