Best of the soul clan

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central

So i have a few records by these artists but it seems like I never fully grasped their music and although they are legendary in the birth of soul I need to add to my collection

What are the best records by
SOLOMON BURKE
ARTHUR CONLEY
BEN E. KING
DON COVAY
JOE TEX &
WILSON PICKETT

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    for starters:

Most of his other work doesn't do much for me, though.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Joe Tex had an infinity for novelty, comedy, songs. Least essential of the group.

Arthur Conley and Don Covay were writers first, singers second, in my estimation.

If you don't have much Burke, Ben E King or Wilson Pickett, any hits collection is a good place to start.
    Their hits sold lots of 45s, they should not be too hard to find at good prices with great b sides.

Same goes for Otis Redding, the most important member of the group.
    None of these artist made a bad record for Atlantic in the 60s, in my way of thinking.
    You can skip the live albums until you have all the studio stuff you want.

Burke made good soul and gospel records in the 80s and 90s for small labels.
    None of them did much of interest in the 70s, IMO.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Joe Tex had an infinity for novelty, comedy, songs. Least essential of the group.

I disagree, His 60's output is amazing. His track "The Love You Save" is heartbreakingingly sad and beautiful. I've filed many of his 60's releases and take them out to listen often when I want to hear a solid southern soul album

^ That's what I meant to say.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    great advice lazer..the only solomon stuff i have is the electric magnetism
    i have tobacco road and a few others cheapies by joe tex...i will be keeping an eye out for singles

i am looking any LP that people cherish in there collection from these artists that i should just cop on site or a special song
    so thank you so far and keep it up

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

None of them did much of interest in the 70s, IMO.

I have to disagree when it comes to Ben E. Kings later Disco songs.
    I especially love these:

• The only thing I have is Solomon's Electric Magnetism - which I bought off PCMR in August hahaha

I've always loved that Joe Tex song though!

Solomon Burke did some nice lps in the 70s.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I haven't pulled it out for a while but I remember liking Solomon Burke's 1972 LP "We're almost Home".

• Guzzo said:
    LaserWolf said:

I haven't pulled it out for a while but I remember liking Solomon Burke's 1972 LP "We're almost Home".

I have this album. The only good song, to me, is the version of Ray Charles'"Drown In My Own Tears" with acoustic guitars only. That was the reason I bought it and the reason I kept it. Nothing else on the LP is as good.

To me, Solomon's prime recordings are on Atlantic and Bell, plus the Don't Give Up On Me CD from 2002.

As far as Joe Tex, this might be more than you want, but I penned a Joe Tex record guide for Roctober, ten years ago. Yes, it's online: http://www.roctober.com/roctober/joetex.htmd. I'm an all-out fan, so I'm not gonna put any kind of bad thing on him. Those novelties had depth, and when he went serious, the truth hit like a hammer.

Don Covay? His career has been fairly consistent, although Different Strokes From Different Folks (from 1972) is iffy. Some classic, can't-miss tunes are on the LP, like "Ain't Nothing A Young Girl Can Do" and "Where There's A Will, There's A Way," but you have to wade through crap to get to them. That Philadelphia Int'l LP he did (Travelin' In Heavy Traffic) is horrendous. But nearly everything else is quite good.

Ben E. King? Get a greatest-hits album, plus assorted non-hit singles.

Arthur Conley probably has the slimmest discography of everybody here, but most everything I've heard is good.

Wilson Pickett on Atlantic will never be topped. Buy anything you see by that artist on that label. His first album, It's Too Late on the Double L label, is essential as well. It's been reissued a thousand times by a thousand different companies under different names. Titles include "It's Too Late," "If You Need Me," "Down To My Last Heartbreak," "I Can't Stop," "I'm Gonna Love You," etc.. That early in his career (1963) and already he had it together.

• LaserWolf said:

Same goes for Otis Redding, the most important member of the group.

Otis died before the Soul Clan plan could come to fruition.

None of these artist made a bad record for Atlantic in the 60s, in my way of thinking.
    You can skip the live albums until you have all the studio stuff you want.

The only member of the Soul Clan to make a true live album was Solomon Burke, and that was in the eighties.

Of course, there was Joe Tex's Live & Lively (from 1968), but that was faked.

Really like this one. Suspect Duane Alman on guitar.