Anyone want to hear some new Dave Chappelle? (Fucking finally-R)

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    ...five minutes in and I am still waiting for him to tell a joke.

• knewjak said:
    ...five minutes in and I am still waiting for him to tell a joke.

i couldn't even make it that far before throwing in the towel. sad to see he has slipped so far.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I havent been anticipating him at all, but the last 20 he does his thang.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Chappelle is on tour right now with the Flight of the Conchords across the U.S.

• batmon said:
    I havent been anticipating him at all, but the last 20 he does his thang.

Yeah it took a while to get going but I enjoyed that. A couple of the bits really got me laughing.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    i'm still early on but i think all the stuff about how much he hates the hartford crowd, racism and his own celebrity is hilarious.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    To each their own, but I loved it.

The reality of Dave's stand-up career going forward is this...at any given show he will have to deal with the fact that (sometimes) the majority of the crowd are there because they "liked his show on comedy central" and most of those folks have NO idea how to watch a comedian (that sounds stupid as shit but it's true). That group of Dave fans end up screaming random lines form his tv show (I'm rich! WHITE POWER! CRACK!, BLAHBLAHBLAH) the ENTIRE GODDAMN SHOW. I guarantee you that is what happened at the Connecticut show along with the usual heckling and, occasionally, he has no choice but to slash and burn the whole shit.

I had the unfortunate experience of seeing this first hand years ago. I was at one of the last stand-up gigs he did before dropping off the grid and it was the biggest shit show I have ever ever ever seen...I couldn't hear him over the cacophony of goddamn fuck faces that were literally screaming at him the entire time (as if to try and convey 'hey bro I really love your show I'm going to shout your lines at you so you know that'). At times some local piece of shit would literally yell "DAVE! I LOVE YOUR SHOW MAN! I LOVE YOUR SHOWWWWW!"....

Going forward he will always have to deal with this and he is most likely rich enough and feels entitled enough to say "fuck this, fuck you, I'm out"....and I agree with him.

When he nukes the rest of a large venue gig, I'm sure he feels entitled to riff on it at the next gig...to get it off his mind, to try and be funny and to try and hint at the current crowd 'hey, don't do this shit at this show because I'll fucking leave'....if he has to take 7-10 minutes to fill the morons in on how NOT to watch stand-up comedy, I'm cool with it.

I loved the bit on how his kids think he's their older brother. I thought overall it was classic Dave and exactly what I've been waiting for.