Hurricane Katrina

fhillysubtle1fhillysubtle1 355 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
This is the third category 5 hurricane to hit the US, this bitch has winds of 175 miles per hour, my bro just called and said hes way up north now, and that there was a mandatory evacuation of new orleans. we've had more hurricanes than last year already Bush is gonna speak on it at 12:30 today.

Comments

• All NOLA boyos and ladies stay safe! Can't believe it's a category 5.... she wasn't that strong when she came through here, barely a hurricane, and if you look at the map you'll see it looked like it was going to plow thru central florida but make a 45 degree turn at miami.

PS: Will bush talk about global warming???

• Options
    Bush is gonna speak on it at 12:30 today.

Problem solved!

• good luck to the NO strutters and stay safe. This might be the one. From an excellent National Geographic article that was published last October on the erosion of wetlands surrounding New Orleans:

"The killer for Louisiana is a Category Three storm at 72 hours before landfall that becomes a Category Four at 48 hours and a Category Five at 24 hours--coming from the worst direction," says Joe Suhayda, a retired coastal engineer at Louisiana State University who has spent 30 years studying the coast.

To qualify the "worst direction" from the same article: The storm hit[s] Breton Sound with the fury of a nuclear warhead, pushing a deadly storm surge into Lake Pontchartrain.

Which is from the southeast. This description is a little too close to Katrina.

I don't mean to signal doomsday on the Big Sleez. I have a lot of family there, and I grew up on the Alabama coast so I am generally fascinated by hurricanes.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Just spoke to my best friend on the 'phone - he reached Houston @ 4 AM in the mornin' after leavin' NO yesterday afternoon (crazy diverted traffic and lineups the entire way)... Hope storm passes through w/ little damage/loss of life (none if possible)...

• i have 2 grandparents, 2 aunts, 2 uncles, 5 cousins and my parents all living just inside the mississippi border from new orleans, long beach to be exact. my mom called me this morning and said they were headed to north mississippi and that every one else was gonna hole up at my aunts house which is farther from the coast(maybe 5 miles??) than everyone elses house. she then called me back saying they were headed to mobile, AL because the daughter(40) of the couple they were gonna stay with seemed "cool" about them coming. the tv is saying mobile still might not be a great place to be either. its crazy though, i always have heard my grandparents talking about how hurricane camile was such a gnarly storm but yet they are refusing to leave. this is lining up to be worse than that.
    man i just dont know. hope everyone makes it thru, especially you new orleans people.

• here's to hoping everyone makes it out. I'm already hosting Aleit at my house for the storm.

is this it for NOLA rercords? Or were they all gone already? I wish I had gone to eddie's a few more times.

on my 45s...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I wish everyone from that area the best,and also you should heed the warnings.Evacuation seems to be your best option,175 miles an hour winds are nothing to play around with.

• Katrina was a pain in the ass down here in miami as a cat 1 -- I went through Andrew, and a cat 5 ain't nothing to mess with -- get out and be safe and hopefully the city will get an indirect hit and get scared into fixing the levee problem.

and We'll see you vets on november 30th at one eyed jacks

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Katrina was a pain in the ass down here in miami as a cat 1 -- I went through Andrew, and a cat 5 ain't nothing to mess with -- get out and be safe and hopefully the city will get an indirect hit and get scared into fixing the levee problem.

and We'll see you vets on november 30th at one eyed jacks

Man Andrew was no joke. South Dade was a wasteland. Katrina took my out my power for a few days, but what folks are about to go through in NO is heavy.

Stay Safe and out of danger to everyone!