Smokers- Why And When Did You Start This Shit?

2»

Comments

• flunkflunk 230 Posts
    ....what are yall poofs?

flunk

• i think everyone without exception started on some "monkey see monkey do", which is basically along the same lines of "to be cool". you're 14 and see an older person do it and think it looks cool, and wallah. i smoked for about 2 years, but stopped after it started giving me trouble breathing. wasn't meant to be.

Naw, not at all. I thought smoking sucked 'cause my step dad smoked and I hated him at the time. It was the buzz. Cloves, bidis, and marijuana had the same allure. The escape factor.

• first of all i grew up around all smokers. all members of the family. my mom smoked while i was in the womb. so naturally when i started it felt as sort of a homecoming to me. i held out for a loooooong time. started smoking occasional grass at about age 25(not my thing makes me sleepy) then started smoking cigs at age 27 in nuremberg germany. we were on a tour that was endorsed by LUCKY STRIKE. so in eu/uk they smoke pot mixed with tobacco. when the weed ran out i asked for a cig from one of the LUCKY STRIKE crew members it was all free smokes all day. in german 80% of all blubgoers are smokers. so it was kinda a cant beat em join em thing. i quickly graduated to 1.5 packs a day. did that for 6 years. presently i've not smoked in over 3 months. although it's an ongoing daily struggle i think ive licked it. i will post how i did this in the near future when i'm more confident that ive quit for certain. peace, stein. . .
    oh yeah. if youre thinking of starting DO NOT DO IT!!!! never in my life have i experienced such a baffling addiction. i am a recovering alcoholic and alcohol is a cinch compared to nicotine.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I started about 10-12 years ago.

The reason:

I was smoking a joint with my man and he said "Nothing like a newport after a joint. Gets you higher"

Allright, let me have one. Have been smoking on and off ever since. At first, through college and single life i smoked about a pack a day. I have been on and off for about 3 years now. I mainly buy cigarettes when Im going to drink or when i am going on a long drive.

But, I LOVE how a cigarette tastes. I love how it feels. I love everything about smoking EXCEPT: How I feel the day after, and how I smell the day after.

• back in the day when the communist party was a pretty big thing in this country they used to have organizers and recruiters smoke. no better way to start up a conversation then offering a smoke, bumming a light, sharing a smoke, etc.

when people ask me if i smoke i let them know, "not cigarettes"

my ma smoked when she was pregnant with me. when i was 3 i ate 2 of her cigarettes and got brought to the hospital or threw up or something. never liked that shit. in my vietnam vet run little league, sign ups would be in this smoky vet hall...id be in there 45 minutes and catch a cold every year from exposure to second hand smoke.
    i guess it weakens kids immune systems?

isnt tobacco a ceremonial native plant? it took western "culture" to come over, partake in a sacred ritual and figure out that they wanted that ceremony to be 20 times a day. weak.

• word. I smoke American Spirits which coopt this "it's supposed to be a ritual don't do it every day" thing... bullshit

I started smoking my senior year of high school, totally a mushroom/pot-induced "help me come down" feeling. I will only smoke a pack a day if I've been drinking all night or driving long distances or perhaps up early for flea/swap/show action. I can't really take more than 5-10 cigs a day I feel terrible, but then I also smoke like the strongest shit out there.

My cousins used to yell at me NEVER PICK UP A CIGARETTE. They were smokers, and I know why. It is hell having to kick. I've tried several times with little results. Partially because I fucking love smoking a cigarette. After a drink, after a meal, with coffee, after sex. It is a wonderful feeling. The problem is containing it... if I could realistically NOT smoke except for special circumstances then it would be great. But whenever I try to limit it, I always somehow end up being back on 8, 9 cigs a day. I have tried to replace it with weed (helped my brother kick) but I can't be high all day, I need to have my wits about me. Record game has lots of down time, whether waiting for a dealer at a flea or slow times at the shop, so cigs take up the time.

Phill, to non-smokers that shit is disgusting. Do you know that me NOT smoking a couple nights ago changed a date situation from WAH-WAH to GET IT IN. She knew I smoked but shit was like, "you can have a cigarette, but then this won't be going any further" haha... but yall don't understand... THAT SHIT BE CAAAALLLING ME MAN

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    70 percent of all good looking girls between 16-23 smoke (occasionally) where I'm from, you do the maths.

Why don't american people roll shag tobacco ?

Don't know why but the graphic design of the packs attract me...

• my uncle in italy used to have a 8 pack a day habit of those bitches.
    plus about a bottle of 4 roses a day.

somehow he quit at 65 years of age.

jp, what about the other way round? a recent girl i was with would have to light up every time afterwards. me:"do you gotta do that?" her: "yes" me: "umm, ok" I saw so many fine women in italy and even stalked a couple...but right when id corner a couple, theyd light up

• Tony never had that problem because I smoke. Her: "I want a cigarette" Me: "Yeah"

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I started about 10-12 years ago.

The reason:

I was smoking a joint with my man and he said "Nothing like a newport after a joint. Gets you higher"

Allright, let me have one. Have been smoking on and off ever since. At first, through college and single life i smoked about a pack a day. I have been on and off for about 3 years now. I mainly buy cigarettes when Im going to drink or when i am going on a long drive.

But, I LOVE how a cigarette tastes. I love how it feels. I love everything about smoking EXCEPT: How I feel the day after, and how I smell the day after.

That's exactly how I got started. Smoked a bong or two, then had my first Newport.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I started in college when my college girlfriend broke up with me. (She is now my acutal gf.) But when she did, I had never had a cigarette before, but she smoked. So I just asked for a cig and then I smoked the whole pack that night. By the time we got back together she had quit and I had the habit.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Like Einstein said, European friends, European joints.

Spontaneously deciding to chill out I've only smoked two in the last 48 hours whereas I usually do 12-15 a day. SMOKING RULES and FOR SURE it makes you cooler if you're already cool -- it's the extra push that puts you over the top in cool. Like, two supermodels, one smokes, the other doesn't -- who's cooler? But two old ladies playing bingo? Actually bad example because the one smoking is probably cooler.

For years before I started (at 25!) I was really upset by anti-smoking people, their rhetoric, tactics, attitude. I still think they're a bunch of health nazis and can go to hell.

All that said, be smart and don't start, and BSides let me know how the Welbutrin works and Einstein please PM me with your method if you don't want to post it here cause I would like to quit.

d