Toronto Storm

LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central

Ya'll cool down in TO???

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I got off easy... My commute home was just doubled and no water damage at home.

Shit is real out there though!! Dudes wading through raw sewage to save their wives b/w marine unit police evacuating peeps from commuter train!!

I hope my fellow strutteurs in the city are doing ok and don't have any damage!

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Double

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I tried to wait out the subway closures, but ended up walking, streetcar-ing, bus-ing and cab-ing it home. 45min commute took five or so hours. Back-up battery to the sump pump ran out of juice and my basement was shin-high in water. I have an Expedit down there....but being mindful of it being in the basement, have never filled the bottom shelf. My Dad came over with provisions - apples and what he calls "chewy bars", flashlights, candles, tools and his lifting back. We bucketed water into the basement bathroom toilet and sink for two hours until the power came back on and the sump pump got to work. I am thankful it was clean water and didn't rise to power outlets or into the furnace room. I am thankful for there being a bathroom in the basement. I am thankful for my father who as he left my house after 1am said "You phoned at the right time. I had just put ice in my glass, had opened the ginger ale and the whiskey bottle was on the counter when you called." I didn't tell him I downed two generous shots of Hennessy before he got to my gate. It was all I could do to not cry from being exhausted and hungry from the trip home and terrified at all the water in my basement.
    Tomorrow - the clean up and damage assessment.
    I hope all my Toronto peoples are OK.

• in typical canuck fashion, i grilled all the meat and drank all the beer in the fridge. then the drunk lights came back on at 11:30p and had to eventually send the neighbors home because we might be back to work.

just woke up to found out my jobsite is underwater, i guess 5 inches in two hours will do that. thinking about going up north to the cottage to get my jet ski and go shred some highways.

b/w

this guy

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Man, it all happened so fast. The storm missed Ottawa, but it's only a matter of time befote we get hit. It's the 2 yr anniversary of the Blusfest stage collapse here: mother nature's a beast. Smart lady keeping the bottom shelf empty Bassie!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    jobsite is underwater

I empathise. The data centre here was a foot deep (it has a raised false floor for cabling). Foll and foll were strolling around in rubber waders looking to unplug the million volts worth of kit that must have been live at the time. Nobody died other than a few pieces of kit.

Stay safe Toronto.

Where is Rob Ford in your hour of need?

• J i m s t e r said:
    vintageinfants said:
    jobsite is underwater

I empathise. The data centre here was a foot deep (it has a raised false floor for cabling). Foll and foll were strolling around in rubber waders looking to unplug the million volts worth of kit that must have been live at the time. Nobody died other than a few pieces of kit.

Stay safe Toronto.

Where is Rob Ford in your hour of need?

i went round the spot and saw that the house i'm building is now lakefront property, which is good for someone i suppose. there are a lot of people who've had their lives interrupted by this, but i cant quite say it's an out and out tragedy. sure we got more rain in two hours than that of a whole hurricane in the 50s, but by all accounts no deceased and no major incidents. it's a little compounded by the fact that it's been one of the wettest summers already, but like..... i think so far as canadian crises the unmanned oil tanker train rolling into a quebec town and promptly exploding killing dozens takes top priority.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Sounds like everybody's safe up there. Stay strong! And if you need to vent some frustration, I'm sure there's a global warming denier somewhere nearby who'd be happy to give you the proper provocation. I'm particularly picturing you, Joel, as someone who could probably use an excuse to slap a fool. 'Cause you can't slap a rainstorm.

• it's the third MAJOR flood in canada in a year. montreal had their shit in the winter, calgary last month and now toronto. but so far as natural disasters go, i'll take it. plus we all take canoes to work anyways, right?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    plus we all take the moose to work anyways, right?

Anyways, what's the plural of moose?

Mooses? Meese? Not moose, surely.

Fuggit, elks will do.

Or elk.

Not that I care, it's not like I need to raise the alarm because a herd of elk or moose is storming down Peckham Hill Street.

Or is there some wacky collective noun, like cabal, or coven, or mob.

A mob of Meese.

HM's loyal subjects to speak on it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    I hate Meeses to pieces.

I thought Canadaman was driving a Ice Trucks (sic) or jockeying like, a one-engined Dakota or somesuch to work.

They are now, anyway.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    skel said:
    Or elk.

Not that I care, it's not like I need to raise the alarm because a herd of elk or moose is storming down Peckham Hill Street.

It's when they stop running that you need to be alarmed:

one beer/eight beer
    one moose/14 moose
    same rule

a herd of moose could not compel me to be loyal or subject to that mauve ninny.

I find it strange that all those environment people missed the magnitude of what was coming, but J is right, this could have been a lot worse for all of us. Count them blessings.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    bros and bassie

any ideas if this will hit vancouver
    might go this month but kinda dont want to deal with anything like this

• PatrickCrazy said:
    bros and bassie

no. just toronto. and barely the 25m surrounding toronto. on some sodom & gomorrah type shit. outlying cities got a light dusting.

plaese to remember that canadia is larger than texas. it's like asking people in NY if they got rain in portland.

[bad example, considering the answer would be most assuredly 'yes']

bassie said:
    one beer/eight beer
    one moose/14 moose
    same rule

This makes me sad. Check it out:

Beer follows the same rule as soup. If you are discussing the quantity of soup in a manner that it is not divided into individual, countable units (bowls for example), then a larger or smaller quantity of said soup is still referred to as "soup". If you are discussing the quantity of soup in a manner that it IS divided into individual countable units (bowls for example) than you have one "soup" or two "soups". Beer is the same. You can have more or less beer in the same container and it is still "beer". If they are in individual, countable units (which is implied by your use of the counting number 8), the correct usage is "8 beers".

This cool story about pluralization rules brought to you by bro.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    mutha naytcha is on some serious shit these days

DB_Cooper said:
    bassie said:
    one beer/eight beer
    one moose/14 moose
    same rule

This makes me sad. Check it out:

Beer follows the same rule as soup. If you are discussing the quantity of soup in a manner that it is not divided into individual, countable units (bowls for example), then a larger or smaller quantity of said soup is still referred to as "soup". If you are discussing the quantity of soup in a manner that it IS divided into individual countable units (bowls for example) than you have one "soup" or two "soups". Beer is the same. You can have more or less beer in the same container and it is still "beer". If they are in individual, countable units (which is implied by your use of the counting number 8), the correct usage is "8 beers".

This cool story about pluralization rules brought to you by bro.

Don't be sad, it wasn't entirely serious - people say beers, too.
    I'll be sure to correct them if they stray from the rule, but before they get to number eight!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:

lelz great post

vintageinfants said:

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP MILLHOUSE!

To this day I say that whenever I unexpectedly get a lucky break.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    ..... i think so far as canadian crises the unmanned oil tanker train rolling into a quebec town and promptly exploding killing dozens takes top priority.

the photos are crazy
    http://www.petitpetitgamin.com/2013/07/06/des-photos-spectaculaires-de-lexplosion-au-lac-megantic/

ps- stay safe n dry, TDot!

• cove said:
    vintageinfants said:
    ..... i think so far as canadian crises the unmanned oil tanker train rolling into a quebec town and promptly exploding killing dozens takes top priority.

the photos are crazy
    http://www.petitpetitgamin.com/2013/07/06/des-photos-spectaculaires-de-lexplosion-au-lac-megantic/

ps- stay safe n dry, TDot!

holy fucking pulitzer

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I'm still having a tough time looking at those images of Megantique. I have a family cottage in the Townships and this hits close to home. Before this accident I always associated the Megantique region with Eden at it's wildest. The views are infinite, filled with a sea of trees and large rolling hills, and the immense Mount Megantique massif always dominates. Now the Devil has spewed up his bile into the heart of this region and it makes me want to cry. I hope they figure out what the hell happened here and we make sure it never happens again.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

I've been away, so I missed everything. But this is so perfect.