Radiohead (what-do-you-ride-for-R)

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
I had a bit of a Radiohead binge the other night. Hadn't revisited the Ok Computer --> Hail To The Thief stuff for a long time. It got me thinking about their whole catalogue and arc of style/sound.

What are your favourite Radiohead albums? Songs?

Or are you not feeling them at all? I have a few friends who just cannot get down. I think Thom as a frontman turns them off...

Ok Computer stands up as one of my favourite rock albums of all time. It certainly has a nostalgia/sentimental aspect - the first large concert I went to was their OK Computer tour in Toronto. Experiencing music at that volume and scale really left an impression on me. But, ignoring that, I still think it's almost a perfect album. Personal taste of course. I think it has a really great mix of electronic/"produced" sounds along side more traditional rock/pop sounds.

Kid A and The Bends are probably tied for my #2 spot. The Bends was a soundtrack to my teenage years, and also got me interested in playing guitar. But Kid A has some textures and things going on that still sound fresh to me now. Everything In It's Right Place, How To Disappear Completely, Idioteque are all stand out tracks for me.

Hail To The Thief and In Rainbows both have a lot of songs that I enjoy, but I don't find myself often coming back to listen to them.

King of Limbs made me ZZZzzzzz through a lot of it. I wish they'd veer a little bit back towards more traditional song structures. I also can't keep up with all the remix 12"s and stuff. If it was 2002 I'd be making sure I had everything they were releasing... nowadays I just can't be bothered.

I don't remember too much talk about Radiohead on the Strut, but I'm sure it's come up. Sorry if this had already been talked about!

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've tried at different times but can't find a way to get into their brand of mad boring.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    BeatChemist said:

Kid A

prolly the only record of theirs i listened to a lot.

usually not mad when i hear any of their songs on the radio, other folks playing um or whatever.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I've tried at different times but can't find a way to get into their brand of mad boring.

• Possum SlimPossum Slim 353 Posts
    Don't like them at all really.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    The Bends and OK Computer were a big part of my teenage years. I liked Kid A and Amnesiac/Kid B when they came out, but I've steadily lost interest in them over the years.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    Definitely ride for OK Computer. Once of my favorite rock albums of all-time. I really like The Bends, Kid A, and Amnesic as well, and would never part with those albums. I started losing interest after "Hail to the Thief" (their worst album, in my opinion), but I somewhat enjoyed "In Rainbows" and "King of Limbs".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

I have friends, old people like me, who think they are the greatest rock band evah.
    I respect my friends opinions, but whenever they put RH on I just hear a monotonic monorhythmic drone.

• OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
    Maybe it's just that everyone else went full retard over Radiohead, but I never got into them.

I find it annoying that Tom Yorke always sounds like he's singing with a mouth full of marbles. Not a clue what that dude sings about.

There are songs I do like though. OVerall I'd pass.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I have friends, old people like me, who think they are the greatest rock band evah.
    I respect my friends opinions, but whenever they put RH on I just hear a monotonic monorhythmic drone.

THIS.

b/w

"Because this website/magazine says they are the greatest rock band evah."

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I ride for that Radiohead Shreds video someone posted on here recently HEAVY!

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I can't really do OK computer and earlier. I started at Kid A and really fell hard for it and most albums afterwards. I still pick up every limited release. They're great for stormy nights with no lights on, watching the wind and rain outside. I like Yorke's solo albums. I like the new Atoms for Peace - AMOK album.

I know they get hate as hipster white kid music, but I guess that's what I am.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    They just get better and better.
    In Rainbows and The King Of Limbs are so heavy for me I can hardly handle it, almost too exhausting for me to listen to.
    And yes, I do own both gimmicky limited edition vinyl packages.

The Bends is probably my favorite, the nostalgic factor is too strong with that one.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I like Karma Police. They had a string of great videos that accompanied singles from their first couple of LPs. Wouldn't call myself a massive fan, but they're local boys done good, 'ennit. One of them used to own and run the one decent music venue in Oxford but sold it off about 6 years ago... it's shite now

For the haterz: Thom Yorke's Boiler Room set is further (and compelling) evidence that technology has democratised DJing a step too far.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I was always a fan, but didn't REALLY get into them till "Ok Computer." (Stan Status) For me it's a toss up between "OK Computer" and "Kid A". At first I didn't like "Kid A", but that album just grew and grew on me. I've honestly never had an album grow on me like that. I went from pretty much hating it to it being on heavy rotation. As for their newer stuff... I kind of tuned out after "In Rainbows". I probably didn't give it a proper listen, but at the same time I'm never in a mood to listen to it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    At first.. I didn't like Radiohead either, I didn't re-discover them until around Hail to the Thief (which is my favorite Radiohead album).

Ok Computer & HTTT are the 2 albums I enjoy the most.. the others are pretty hit & miss for me.

I still dig em though. I even like the Thom yorke solo shit. Atoms for Peace is good. DEFAULT goes hard!!!

- s p i d e r s

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    After further meditation on this topic i realized that Thom Yorke and his Radiohead have been responsible for some really great musical moments in my life and though at first and even still I am hesitant to outright say that I am a big fan of their music i must admit that they have been highly influential and have opened the doors for myself and many other musicians such as myself.

So for that they have deeply earned my respect as artists.

for whatever that's worth..

- dieguito

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    "The Bends" is one of the few I've listened to and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Been bumping "In Rainbows" lately.