Ramen Strut (noodles-r)

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
I am enjoying a delicious Tonkatsu Miso ramen from Kenzo in Toronto.
My favourite though is a spot called Kinton Ramen. They have a Spicy Garlic ramen that has so much fresh garlic that you need mints hours later. Not date food! But damn soooo fucking good!!

Rep your local ramen experience!! No instant noodles allowed!!

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    are there any ramen noodles that aren't drenched in sodium and fat?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    whoops, sorry, u weren't talking instant.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    People will tell you the only good ramen in the Bay is south of the City, but in SF I ride for Suzu and Tampopo.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    There's a new spot on Grand Ave in south sf that I like. I'm no expert, but it tastes good to me. I've been to the San Mateo spots too. I don't know sheeit about ramen besides eating it.

you know how sometimes you hear/read something that's not only wrong but actually totally fucking backwards? like beyond just wrong and veering into some parallel opposite universe?

there is one spot in SF called Katana-Ya that consistently ranks #1 on Yelp and has a line outside at all hours.

not only would I not rank it highly among ramen spots, it actually sucks; it's actually a *bad* ramen spot and I cram to understand how this obvious fact is lost on so many people....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I keep going between Santouka and Sansotei in Toronto. But I still always find my same dilemma. I find a broth I like, but not crazy about the noodles (Or vice versa). But both those spots are pretty decent.

I also hit up Raijin at Yonge & Gerrard since it's close to my place.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Wish there was ramen here in the Kane.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    you know how sometimes you hear/read something that's not only wrong but actually totally fucking backwards? like beyond just wrong and veering into some parallel opposite universe?

there is one spot in SF called Katana-Ya that consistently ranks #1 on Yelp and has a line outside at all hours.

not only would I not rank it highly among ramen spots, it actually sucks; it's actually a *bad* ramen spot and I cram to understand how this obvious fact is lost on so many people....

I ride for Katana-Ya, But I wouldn't say it's the best. Not by a long shot. I do think that Ramen Dojo in San Mateo is worth the hype. I drove 80 miles to have it last week with one of my line cooks.

http://thirstyreader.com/the-ramen-run-down-six-lunchtime-options-in-the-bay-area-2/

http://thirstyreader.com/lunch-dinner-the-garlic-pork-broth-ramen-ramen-dojo-san-mateo/

nah dude Katana-Ya is not even remotely good.

but hey different strokes I guess.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    People will tell you the only good ramen in the Bay is south of the City, but in SF I ride for Suzu and Tampopo.
    There is a Tampopo in Chicago too! (Though I hear Wasabi in Logan Square is better) I think the restaurants are named after the classic "Ramen-Western" film Tampopo. Which is an excellent, often times outrageous, movie about ramen and filmed in a spaghetti-western style.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092048/

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    SoundOutLoud said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    There is a Tampopo in Chicago too! (Though I hear Wasabi in Logan Square is better) I think the restaurants are named after the classic "Ramen-Western" film Tampopo. Which is an excellent, often times outrageous, movie about ramen and filmed in a spaghetti-western style.

DUDE.

my sister told me to watch this last week saying she 'literally laughed out loud' and thought it was 'hilarious'. about 20 minutes in i started to look for the door ashton kutcher was going to pop out of in my house. incredibly UNhilarious.

my opinion might be skewed by the fact that, despite my brother in law being born and raised in japan, my taste for a 'naked gun'-like lampooning of japanese cultural nuances isn't even remotely funny to me. primarily because i don't get it.

• vintageinfants said:
    SoundOutLoud said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

DUDE.

my sister told me to watch this last week saying she 'literally laughed out loud' and thought it was 'hilarious'. about 20 minutes in i started to look for the door ashton kutcher was going to pop out of in my house. incredibly UNhilarious.

my opinion might be skewed by the fact that, despite my brother in law being born and raised in japan, my taste for a 'naked gun'-like lampooning of japanese cultural nuances isn't even remotely funny to me. primarily because i don't get it.

I could understand that, I saw it with a friend who knew what was up and explained stuff to me . Its a strange movie, which I guess is another reason why I liked it. Its is so different from most comedies. Also getting some proper ramen afterwards was kinda icing on the cake.