Questlove. (Zzzzzzz related)

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
I need some kind of perspective on this one Strut!!

I used to find Questlove engaging and interesting. His obsession with the Roots' sound and overall passion for hip hop were things I admired about him.

Now anytime I hear/read him talking about anything I instantly want to tune out. It's like he has the ability to make even topics I love seem uninteresting. It's part cold, historian vibe. Part aging grumpy self centered hipster with a holier than thou attitude about culture. I am totally uninterested in his opinions about anything.

Am I off base here? How does the Strut weigh in? Or should I take this okayplayer.com...

Comments

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    No, don't waste you time/money on this bum.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    While I'm really impressed with all The Roots have accomplished and the sheer amount of work they do, this dude is way over exposed and I don't really care about his opinion on any subject at all.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Form your own opinion

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    It's your own fault for thinking you needed his opinion to begin with. Just because you like someones music doesn't mean you have anything in common with them other than their music.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    He's a drummer.

• He does good stuff. Is he interesting as a person? Wouldn't know.

But he's working hard to get D'Angelo to put out more music, so he can't be all bad.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    OptimusLime said:

...he's working hard to get D'Angelo to put out more music, so he can't be all bad.

Wow...thanks for posting this. Made the thread, for me.

BeatChemist...your answer is above.

EDIT: Goddammit...as usual, the above video sent me spiraling downward into a youtube k-hole...and I came across this:

BeatChemist...maybe you've already seen it and classify it as 'ZZZZZZZ' but I enjoyed this interview with D and ?.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Welcome to 12 years ago.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Welcome to 12 years ago.

Yeah, that's true. But still the new music promise makes me happy. Still listen to Voodoo.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Never got into the D'Angelo hype. Dude just mumbles in his sexy voice over weaksauce hip-hop lite.

Not that I hate him or anything. I've liked some of his music alright. But he's not someone I'm actively missing from the musical landscape.

But yeah, when I mentioned 12 years ago, I was talking about ?uestlove. Once he started letting himself become readily known through the okaplayer website...ANY FORMER MYSTIQUE TERMINATED.

But again, not a situation of hate. Dude is cool doing what he does. I'm just not very interested in the drumming, let alone the retrospective blah blah blah.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Jeeezzz... I didn't mean to give the impression I was at some sort of life crisis where I didn't know whether to trust the dude to tell me what's what. I was just surprised at how far my dislike had come, and I wanted to see if the Strut felt the same way. Seems like a resounding yes... hahaha

As far as D'Angelo goes... I've never been a huge fan. He's got a few great songs, but I think Harvey kinda summed it up. I think this is one of the first times I've ever completely agreed with Harvey!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Rarely do I think of this dude much anymore, but as noted above, I still respect their (the Roots) ability to be involved with a lot of projects. Good for them.

With that said, his whole vibe to me was kinda summed up with the little episode last fall with the Michelle Bachman interview on Fallon. Like, cool...you try and pull some social commentary stunt by droppin some obscure Fishbone song that most of the audience wouldn't know about....but then you feel the need to flaunt it to your 500K followers on social media.

Basically he's a cool dude who REALLY wants you to know he's a cool dude.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Who would have ever thought back in the '90s that in 2014 the Roots would be the Tonight Show Band? It's like they always had a pretty white audience but not the whitest audience.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    He's a drummer.

You know what they call a guy that hangs out with a bunch of musicians....?

billbradley said:
    Reynaldo said:
    He's a drummer.

A DJ?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Never got into the D'Angelo hype. Dude just mumbles in his sexy voice over weaksauce hip-hop lite.

The "Devil's Pie" beat was hot. Of course, D'Angelo had nothing to do with that.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    JectWon said:
    billbradley said:
    Reynaldo said:
    He's a drummer.

A DJ?

Ha! A more appropriate punchline here than "a drummer".

billbradley said:
    JectWon said:
    billbradley said:
    Reynaldo said:
    He's a drummer.

A DJ?

Ha! A more appropriate punchline here than "a drummer".

Both are probably spot on. I consider myself both and would say both are equally ridiculous at times.

My favorite drummer joke:

What do you say to a drummer in a suit?
    "Will the defendant please rise?"

EDIT: Jesus, I typed 'both' a lot....fuck it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    He's a drummer.

This is pure, undiluted ether.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:

The "Devil's Pie" beat was hot. Of course, D'Angelo had nothing to do with that.

yeah that beat is amazing.

whoever did that beat must be very talented.

(i know who did that beat).

jlee said:

Yes. This is exactly what bothers me.

BeatChemist said:
    jlee said:

Yeah, because no one on Soul Strut does that at all. Oh wait, we do it every time we post.........

I don't think that's true at all!

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    volumen said:
    BeatChemist said:
    jlee said:

Yeah, because no one on Soul Strut does that at all. Oh wait, we do it every time we post.........

You just did it!

I'm doing it right now!

:post_modern:

BeatChemist said:

I hope your kidding. It's pretty much what every post based web site (and a lot of journalism in general) is doing. Yes their is a lot of usefully info and discussion, but ultimately it's people saying "here's all the great knowledge and insight I have to offer", Once you have no use for that knowledge the go from cool to pontificating.

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    volumen said:
    BeatChemist said:
    Once you have no use for that knowledge the go from cool to pontificating.

Yes, quest offer nothing in the way of knowledge, and this guy has finally come to this conclusion. Too bad more people
    don't realize early how useless most of this entertainment garbage really is. I think if the guy who started this thread watches
    the video of Quest's day in the life, it may solidify the distaste.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    JectWon said:

My favorite drummer joke:

What do you say to a drummer in a suit?
    "Will the defendant please rise?"
    Mine is: "What has three legs and an asshole?"
    "A drum stool".

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This probably isn't for you, then:

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/questlove-talks-mo-meta-blues-more-with-npr.html

"The book, due in June, is co-written by Thompson and Ben Greenman. The title of the book is a nod to the bandleader???s obsession with Metacritic ratings, while the book itself is a narrative of his life as told through choice musical selections, pop culture references, run-ins with other celebrities and groundbreaking performances"

EDIT: Had to look up 'Metacritic' - Ugh.

• ?uest klosterman