RIP Margaret Thatcher

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I might tune in to the EPL games this weekend just to watch the minute of silence.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I might tune in to the EPL games this weekend just to watch the minute of silence.

It's not going to happen

B/w

even if it was going to happen, it wouldn't happen

P/w

even if it was going to happen, the only way to make it happen would be to demand a minute's noisy appreciation.
    You'd hear a pin drop.

I'll be at Wembley on Saturday for the FA Cup semi final (come on the Wall) and if there's no anti Maggie chants, I'll fucking start one.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    skel said:
    ppadilha said:

It's not going to happen

B/w

P/w

even if it was going to happen, the only way to make it happen would be to demand a minute's noisy appreciation.
    You'd hear a pin drop.

I'll be at Wembley on Saturday for the FA Cup semi final (come on the Wall) and if there's no anti Maggie chants, I'll fucking start one.

Judging by the 10,000 unsold tickets from the Wigan allocation, there'll be 90 minutes of silence from their end. Which will delight Dave Whelan, I'm sure.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Dave Whelan.

He's talmbout black armbands for the team.
    He's revealed as a prick on all sorts of levels this year.

Odd really, only just noticing this year what a twat dude is.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Glenda Jackson straight bodied that shit.

Bercow at the end as well - most professional sit down and STFU I've seen in a while :beerbang:

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    glad that cold woman is dead with her milksnatching, poll taxing, IRA starving, outdated industry closing ways

b/w

deregulation, breaking down the culture of dependency and entitlement, privatisation of state-owned companies, dismantling the unions has lead to an atmosphere where every Briton chav or pom has the FREEDOM to come up in the world and live the way he/she wants

• Dean RDean R 9 Posts
    skel said:
    ppadilha said:

It's not going to happen

B/w

P/w

You'd hear a pin drop.

I'll be there as well, and was really hoping for the Wigan Chairman to get his wish for that minute of silence.
    But it seems that I'll just have to join in with your chant.

• RIP Dean R

• vintageinfants said:
    RIP pimlicosquirrel

I know #Thatcher is trending right now but it kind of feels a bit like a race to the bottom to my tender sensibilities.

I find the blood lust on FB, Twitter et al fascinating though, this feels like the first time we have collectively and instantaneously thanks to these new platforms showed our asses to be the puerile, piddling barbarians we are.

I wonder will this trend continue, serious question, will we vilify Bush when he's dead, does anyone look forward to it? Does anyone think about Bush dying? Are there others people look forward to castigating after death? It seems wholly bizarre to me that this kind of event may become a normal part of human expression.

It also saddens me to think of the wasted collective breath, as cheese-ball as the whole misguided KONY thing was, it would be great to see living and far, far worse despots receive a tenth of the attention. I've been in Cambodia for the last month and although people saw great suffering under Thatcher, there is some paling in comparison. Ultimately Thatcher was a staunch patriot (no Hitler references please, there is no comparison) with a very real plan to strengthen both the countries sphere of influence and it's economy. The goal seemed clear, no? Regardless of the resultant carnage. In Cambodia there is an entrenched autocrat masquerading as a democratically elected leader controlling a mafia-like structure to benefit himself, his family and his supporting cronies. The people are fucked, daily, they are commodity and a very cheap one. All the usual shit that you associate with these types happens all day every day and there is no plan and no end in sight, it's been this way for 30 years now.

It would be good to see Hun Sen in such brutal light.

I'm yet to be tested as harshly as those in the UK at that time so maybe I just can't empathize enough, but for the record I grew up in commission housing with drug dealing (albeit hippie) parents and a father in jail for armed robbery. I know poverty but I also live in a country where you can pull yourself from it with some ease...in my opinion.

Re-reading the above it comes off a bit pompous but I'm not trying to elevate myself, just express. Don't get your panties bunched. It is possible that these kind of outpourings are a reminder to current leaders that the world is heavily opposed to liberalist oppression and getting louder. It could be that all the voices in the world do fuck all. Bashir, Jong-Un and Assad all get plenty of copy.

The chumming of the waters and resultant feeding frenzy just kind of grosses me out ?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    vintageinfants said:
    RIP pimlicosquirrel

Bashir, Jong-Un and Assad all get plenty of copy.
    Less so when you remember that Bashir and Assad are the same person.

• tabira said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    vintageinfants said:
    RIP pimlicosquirrel

Bashar and Assad are the same person, Bashir is not

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    tabira said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    vintageinfants said:
    RIP pimlicosquirrel

my bad. I felt so clever for a second

• tabira said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    tabira said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    vintageinfants said:
    RIP pimlicosquirrel

they all sound the same anyway, mugabe/mubarak, qassem/hussein, noriega/thatcher, castro/castro

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    tabira said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    tabira said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    vintageinfants said:
    RIP pimlicosquirrel

they all sound the same anyway, mugabe/mubarak, qassem/hussein, noriega/thatcher, castro/castro

Yeah,
    But getting back to the subject, THIS:

pimlicosquirrel said:

I find the blood lust on FB, Twitter et al fascinating though, this feels like the first time we have collectively and instantaneously thanks to these new platforms showed our asses to be the puerile, piddling barbarians we are.

I wonder will this trend continue, serious question, will we vilify Bush when he's dead, does anyone look forward to it? Does anyone think about Bush dying? Are there others people look forward to castigating after death? It seems wholly bizarre to me that this kind of event may become a normal part of human expression.

I find all the "witch is dead" stuff pretty sick and wildly disproportionate. Criticizing her in death? Fine, zero problem with that. But rejoicing? That's fucked and I don't care what anyone thinks. It would only make sense if she had died whilst still in power or if she was a retired mass murdering tyrant. Neither apply. Her death, well into in her second decade post downfall didn't improve the lot of anyone. The only time for "rejoicing" was 23 years ago when she lost power, not when she has a stroke in a hotel room, at a senile and lonely 87. So criticize all you like but folks who danced in the street for the death of a witch who had long since lost her broomstick are just lowering themselves, not her.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    tabira said:
    I find all the "witch is dead" stuff pretty sick and wildly disproportionate. Criticizing her in death? Fine, zero problem with that. But rejoicing? That's fucked and I don't care what anyone thinks. It would only make sense if she had died whilst still in power or if she was a retired mass murdering tyrant. Neither apply. Her death, well into in her second decade post downfall didn't improve the lot of anyone. The only time for "rejoicing" was 23 years ago when she lost power, not when she has a stroke in a hotel room, at a senile and lonely 87. So criticize all you like but folks who danced in the street for the death of a witch who had long since lost her broomstick are just lowering themselves, not her.

b/w

J i m s t e r said:
    I grew up in the North West of England and spent my formative years under her reign. It's hard to put into words the hatred that most of the country has for this woman.

The have always been historic wealth and class divisions in this country, but in our humble day-to-day lives of financial Snakes and Ladders, she moved the counters of the poorest onto snakes the length of which approach infinity. It sucked the f*cking life out of our region for sure. I lived on an estate where only my dad seemed to have a job.

I am seeing some folk on FB talmbout her "Backbone" and "Depth of conviction" but, y'know, you could have said the same about that Third Reich dude. For me, her lack of compassion for humanity is right up there with that guy.

The point being, if you didn't grow up in the UK in the 80s under her rule, your opinion has little value.
    The sheer volume of people who at one end of the spectrum could care less that she's dead, right up to the ones who are actually rejoicing her death just goes to show how much this person was despised. It's not like we're talking about the opinions of a few loony lefties or tin-hat wearers.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    DJBombjack said:
    tabira said:

b/w

J i m s t e r said:
    I grew up in the North West of England and spent my formative years under her reign. It's hard to put into words the hatred that most of the country has for this woman.

The have always been historic wealth and class divisions in this country, but in our humble day-to-day lives of financial Snakes and Ladders, she moved the counters of the poorest onto snakes the length of which approach infinity. It sucked the f*cking life out of our region for sure. I lived on an estate where only my dad seemed to have a job.

I am seeing some folk on FB talmbout her "Backbone" and "Depth of conviction" but, y'know, you could have said the same about that Third Reich dude. For me, her lack of compassion for humanity is right up there with that guy.

The point being, if you didn't grow up in the UK in the 80s under her rule, your opinion has little value.
    The sheer volume of people who at one end of the spectrum could care less that she's dead, right up to the ones who are actually rejoicing her death just goes to show how much this person was despised. It's not like we're talking about the opinions of a few loony lefties or tin-hat wearers.

I wasn't going to say this because I don't think it makes my point any more or less legitimate depending on your persuasion, but as you seem to think that it is relevant, I'll wheel it all out. Not only was I brought up in the UK in the 80s (I'm 40 this year) but I was cautioned at 16 for throwing an egg at Maggy when she visited our local Ice Rink (It missed). We had miners from Creswell collery sleeping on our kitchen floor so that they could demonstrate in Westminster during the 84 strike. I still have the ceremonial Davey lamp that they gave us in thanks. I didn't suffer like many did. But I saw it at first hand and knew many who did. So what? None of this earns me any stripes on my shoulder but my point would hold IMO whether or not I had had these experiences. And to be honest I don't think you need to be English and over 40 to be able to comment. You just need to know your social and political history of that time and place.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    tabira said:
    I wasn't going to say this because I don't think it makes my point any more or less legitimate depending on your persuasion, but as you seem to think that it is relevant, I'll wheel it all out. Not only was I brought up in the UK in the 80s (I'm 40 this year) but I was cautioned at 16 for throwing an egg at Maggy when she visited our local Ice Rink. We had miners from Creswell collery sleeping on our kitchen floor so that they could demonstrate in Westminster during the 84 strike. I still have the ceremonial Davey lamp that they gave us in thanks. I didn't suffer like many did. But I was it at first hand. So what ? My point would hold IMO whether or not I had had these experiences.

Actually I think it completely legitimizes your point. I've heard opinions from a few non-UK residents about how talking ill of the dead is NAGL.
    The fact that you lived through and experienced that first-hand does indeed add weight to your opinion and I can respect that.
    I too lived under her rule. I never liked her when she was alive and have no reason to like her because she's dead either.

• pimlicosquirrel said:
    vintageinfants said:
    RIP pimlicosquirrel

I know #Thatcher is trending right now but it kind of feels a bit like a race to the bottom to my tender sensibilities.

It also saddens me to think of the wasted collective breath, as cheese-ball as the whole misguided KONY thing was, it would be great to see living and far, far worse despots receive a tenth of the attention. I've been in Cambodia for the last month and although people saw great suffering under Thatcher, there is some paling in comparison. Ultimately Thatcher was a staunch patriot (no Hitler references please, there is no comparison) with a very real plan to strengthen both the countries sphere of influence and it's economy. The goal seemed clear, no? Regardless of the resultant carnage. In Cambodia there is an entrenched autocrat masquerading as a democratically elected leader controlling a mafia-like structure to benefit himself, his family and his supporting cronies. The people are fucked, daily, they are commodity and a very cheap one. All the usual shit that you associate with these types happens all day every day and there is no plan and no end in sight, it's been this way for 30 years now.

It would be good to see Hun Sen in such brutal light.

I'm yet to be tested as harshly as those in the UK at that time so maybe I just can't empathize enough, but for the record I grew up in commission housing with drug dealing (albeit hippie) parents and a father in jail for armed robbery. I know poverty but I also live in a country where you can pull yourself from it with some ease...in my opinion.

Re-reading the above it comes off a bit pompous but I'm not trying to elevate myself, just express. Don't get your panties bunched. It is possible that these kind of outpourings are a reminder to current leaders that the world is heavily opposed to liberalist oppression and getting louder. It could be that all the voices in the world do fuck all. Bashir, Jong-Un and Assad all get plenty of copy.

The chumming of the waters and resultant feeding frenzy just kind of grosses me out ?

It's not the first time. Remember the celebration and joy among all those fucking liberal worms who were cheering on when Gaddafi was lynched by a terrorist lynchmob of Islamic fundamentalists and his dead body put on display like some hunting trophy? The same Islamic fundamentalists that later brutally murdered and lynched an American ambassador last fall.

Fucking hypocrites all of you leftist cowards.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    You are making my brain hurt.

• pimlicosquirrel said:
    Are there others people look forward to castigating after death? It seems wholly bizarre to me that this kind of event may become a normal part of human expression.

Except on those occasions when you agree with those doing the castigating, right?

• neil_something said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    Are there others people look forward to castigating after death? It seems wholly bizarre to me that this kind of event may become a normal part of human expression.

Except on those occasions when you agree with those doing the castigating, right?

huh? how does that video relate to me?

• Oh, we talkin' bout Margaret Thatcher?

• pimlicosquirrel said:

Just pointing out the slight double-standard in sanctimonious handwringing about blood lust and castigating people after death.

• neil_something said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:

Just pointing out the slight double-standard in sanctimonious handwringing about blood lust and castigating people after death.

I'm Australian and I can't see myself chanting slogans in the street about anything. The patriotic fervor in the above video comes off pretty deluded to me, although I understand emotions were running high.

My comments construed as sanctimonious? your joking or you fucked up the definition maybe. I think my comments are wishy washy and mealy mouthed and like I said possibly sounded pompous. I feel like people are being excessive, it would be great to see a living despot like Hun Sen on blast, but I also feel people can largely do whatever they want. I'm unsure of the point basically and it seems like people are trying to outdo each other.

I know I'm a hypocrite, if that's what your trying to get at. I'm unsure if it's possible not to be.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    best thing thats come from her is this illusion:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    I just don't understand how the British can still tolerate a Monarchy with all the privilege, pomp and circumstance, wealth, etc.
    I realize the tradition and ceremonial factors but isn't it time for a revolution.