Soul Strut 100: # 25 - Nas - Illmatic

2

  Comments


  • SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    james said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    So it's overrated because the marketing and label admin was not up to snuff?
    Absolutely. I can't hear "Halftime" without thinking of Michael Rapaport. That's a mic-and-a-half deduction, right there.

    he was ok in bamboozled, otherwise i agree.

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    james said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    So it's overrated because the marketing and label admin was not up to snuff?
    Absolutely. I can't hear "Halftime" without thinking of Michael Rapaport. That's a mic-and-a-half deduction, right there.

    While I fully support this contention (ha!), I've never gotten enough of Halftime. The World Is Yours and One Love are the songs on there that I have trouble stomaching nowadays. But the few non-singles on the album (Memory Lane, One Time 4 Your Mind & Represent) more than carry that burden for me.

  • jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Was "It Ain't Hard To Tell" the first-ever cleared MJ sample?

  • SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    swv came about before.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    james said:
    Was "It Ain't Hard To Tell" the first-ever cleared MJ sample?

    SWV Right Here was before but that's New Jack/Jill Swing....LBE though.

  • Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Neptunes did the SWV remix, no? One of their first big productions iirc.

  • jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    swv came about before.
    Oh shit--how could I forget?!

    When they first dropped, all three of them were in ads and shit wearing those unfashionably severe Terminator shades, so for a good while I really thought "SWV" stood for "Sisters Without Vision"--like being blind was their gimmick or something. I was quite the knucklehead.

  • jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    LBE though.
    Player, please. I used to see that shit on the neither-local-nor-black VH1 all the time.

  • The World Is Yours is the only one that lowers the quality for me. I like the concise quality of the album though. If the Wu Tang solos at around the same time were the same length we might be talking about them in almost the same breath.

  • SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    what is it about world is yours that you don't like?

  • SIRUS said:
    what is it about world is yours that you don't like?

    The chorus.

  • This tape came out when I was living in San Antonio. I loved nothing more than going on a long car ride (all car rides are long in Texas) and listening to this shit from beginning to end. I always felt it had a real cinematic quality to it.

    Pretty much everything Nasty Nas has put out since then has made me cringe, but nobody can front on him having one classic album to his name.

  • jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    SP 1200 said:
    SIRUS said:
    what is it about world is yours that you don't like?

    The chorus.
    Really? I like it. It's completely selfish and personal (the world is mine), while at the same time also magnanimous and universal (the world is yours), with no attempt made to reconcile any contradiction between the two. It's the whole album--and possibly Nas's whole career--in miniature. That chorus is in some sense the river from which all his trademark macro-focus/micro-focus couplets (e.g. "I'm like all races combined in one man / like the '99 Summer Jam") flow. How can you not love that shit?

  • HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I do not love that chorus either. I used to love the song and could tolerate the chorus. But over time, the repetitiveness of "it's mine, it's mine, it's mine" has pretty much killed the entire song for me, to the point that I now routinely skip it when I listen to the cd in my truck.

  • james said:
    SP 1200 said:
    SIRUS said:
    what is it about world is yours that you don't like?

    The chorus.
    Really? I like it. It's completely selfish and personal (the world is mine), while at the same time also magnanimous and universal (the world is yours), with no attempt made to reconcile any contradiction between the two. It's the whole album--and possibly Nas's whole career--in miniature. That chorus is in some sense the river from which all his trademark macro-focus/micro-focus couplets (e.g. "I'm like all races combined in one man / like the '99 Summer Jam") flow. How can you not love that shit?

    Not disputing your eloquent description, which I appreciate, but it's the sound of it I don't like and as we're talking about music that's important to me.

  • SP 1200 said:
    james said:
    SP 1200 said:
    SIRUS said:
    what is it about world is yours that you don't like?

    The chorus.
    Really? I like it. It's completely selfish and personal (the world is mine), while at the same time also magnanimous and universal (the world is yours), with no attempt made to reconcile any contradiction between the two. It's the whole album--and possibly Nas's whole career--in miniature. That chorus is in some sense the river from which all his trademark macro-focus/micro-focus couplets (e.g. "I'm like all races combined in one man / like the '99 Summer Jam") flow. How can you not love that shit?

    Not disputing your eloquent description, which I appreciate, but it's the sound of it I don't like and as we're talking about music that's important to me.

    that ahmad jamal sample is brilliant. firstly, it's such an odd, obscure thing to have sampled (2 bars of a very long, florid piano solo) and it was cut and looped in a way that was ultra creative. more importantly, the piano is what gives that track momentum and it never gets tired.

    love that song, love that record. not mad, but also expected this to be top 5, at least top 10.

  • SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    james said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    So it's overrated because the marketing and label admin was not up to snuff?
    Absolutely. I can't hear "Halftime" without thinking of Michael Rapaport. That's a mic-and-a-half deduction, right there.

    he was ok in bamboozled, otherwise i agree.

    Trippin son. He slays in Zebrahead!

    "Blacks & Whites...together like this...Can you deal with that?!!!"

  • francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 116 Posts
    This album is not one of my favourites, I like it yes, but its not up there with some of my personal favourites.
    I never liked Halftime or Lifes A Bitch. I do liike all the other joints.
    I've often felt there's a bit of a if you don't dig Illmatic you don't dig hip hip music vibe from various folk in the past, whilst I don't rank Illmatic as one of my favourites I do love most of the other "classic" rap albums.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    AZ

  • james said:
    Is it accurate to say that Illmatic was largely responsible for making the multiple-hot-producers album acceptable to Real Heads????

    From my 1990s vantage point out in the sticks, it seemed like before Illmatic all the underground rappers all had "their" sound and "their" crew, including "their" producer, and the idea of having a different producer on every track was considered the domain of wannabe-sellouts who were chasing a bunch of different audiences by getting tracks from whoever was hot at the moment. After Illmatic, though, that shit didn't seem like such a big deal. And of course now it's commonplace.

    Was Illmatic in fact the pivot point for all that, or was I just projecting?


    Wanted:Dead Or Alive Kool G Rap??

  • caicai spacecho 361 Posts
    Incredible album.. but.. The production on Life's a Bitch and It Ain't Hard To Tell always stuck out to me. Great songs individually but the more slick 80s sound didn't fit in with the other album tracks for me. What I mean is its not the perfect record some make it out to be.

  • Love that MJ sample on It Ain't Hard. Life's A Bitch is another track where the chorus lets it down for me.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SP 1200 said:
    Life's A Bitch is another track where the chorus lets it down for me.

    Buggin'

  • crabmongerfunk said:
    that ahmad jamal sample is brilliant. firstly, it's such an odd, obscure thing to have sampled (2 bars of a very long, florid piano solo) and it was cut and looped in a way that was ultra creative. more importantly, the piano is what gives that track momentum and it never gets tired.

    love that song, love that record. not mad, but also expected this to be top 5, at least top 10.

    Agreed on all counts. "The World is Yours" is a weak point? DOES NOT COMPUTE.

  • Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    batmon said:
    SP 1200 said:
    Life's A Bitch is another track where the chorus lets it down for me.

    Buggin'

    That's one of the all-time great rap hooks.

    Some of the sentiments expressed in this thread are baffling.

  • dammsdamms 704 Posts
    batmon said:


    I thought he had a significant street and industry buzz after snuffing Jesus.

    lol

    The world is yours might be the song that made me fall in love with sampling
    b/w Memory lane should have been a single

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    batmon said:
    SP 1200 said:
    Life's A Bitch is another track where the chorus lets it down for me.

    Buggin'

    That's one of the all-time great rap hooks.

    No doubt.

  • batmon said:
    SP 1200 said:
    Life's A Bitch is another track where the chorus lets it down for me.


    Buggin'

    Always thought that for someone of his lyricism it was blander than it could have been.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    1. "The Genesis" - big props for putting Wild Style on wax(beat and dialogue)
    2. "N.Y. State of Mind" - The shit
    3. "Life's a Bitch" (feat. AZ) The shit
    4. "The World Is Yours" - good....(Pete-Rocks"adlibs irritate me in 2013)
    5. "Halftime" - good but hella & hecka old by the album debut...Is Deep Cover on The Chronic????
    6. "Memory Lane (Sittin' in da Park)" - ehhh...good story/lyrics, mediocre beat
    7. "One Love" - good
    8. "One Time 4 Your Mind" - The shit. Nice & simple w/out the horns & producer talk over.
    9. "Represent" - real good
    10. "It Ain't Hard to Tell" - good

    Around 5 thru 7 its a little weak IMO. Great Build up, mediocre middle, great dismount.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SP 1200 said:
    batmon said:
    SP 1200 said:
    Life's A Bitch is another track where the chorus lets it down for me.


    Buggin'

    Always thought that for someone of his lyricism it was blander than it could have been.

    I can understand that, but "life's a bitch and then you die" was a street anthem/motto before that song.
    So it had extra weight cause cats were using that motto amongst themselves and they applied it to the chorus.
Sign In or Register to comment.