vintage?

fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
when does one say it's vintage?
who old must it be?

because i don't call a cd rack vintage

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    you call it vintage when it can help u make a sell.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    For something like this, 25 years old.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Horseleech said:

I'm lost. Wine? 25 year old Ebay sellers up on their Jordache game?

Electrode said:
    Horseleech said:

I'm lost. Wine? 25 year old Ebay sellers up on their Jordache game?

'Something like this' = item being discussed in OG post.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Isn't it simply to differentiate between when something is old and has lost value (you can buy the same thing new and virginal),and when something that is old has gained value as a result of it's age?

Or, if age of product has negligible effect on it's value, it's just old - eg a CD rack less than 25 years.

• im pretty sure that vintage is more of an adjective than a specific designation of time. the only time ive heard it used to describe a specific period of time is in cars, where 'vintage' and 'post-vintage' described to methods of automobile styling pre-WWII.

with my limited latin/french knowledge, ill go ahead and assume that the whole thing is an implied disbiguation of the number 20.

• vintageinfants said:
    im pretty sure that vintage is more of an adjective than a specific designation of time. the only time ive heard it used to describe a specific period of time is in cars, where 'vintage' and 'post-vintage' described to methods of automobile styling pre-WWII.

with my limited latin/french knowledge, ill go ahead and assume that the whole thing is an implied disbiguation of the number 20.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=vintage

apparently less vingt = 20, more vin = wine. seems like its import/specificity as an adjective varies pretty greatly between settings. also people often mistake "second-hand" for "vintage", e.g. "i have for sale a rare vintage comme des gar??ons oxford from their a/w 2010 line", which is kind of annoying when on the lookout for things that are actually rare and/or vintage.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Vintage = Before YOU were born.

batmon said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone likes the idea of something from their lifetime being vintage.

Horseleech said:
    batmon said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone likes the idea of something from their lifetime being vintage.

Yeah, if im on Ebay and I see some 80's clothing described as vintage, I go huh? Then what is something from 1940?

Like dudes talmbout 1995 is The Old School. Well what the hell is 1976?

Contemporary vs Modern.........

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I always saw it as a comment on the authentic age of a particular piece, as opposed to a modern replication in the same style. For example a vintage tube amplifier vs a modern amp using tubes. It implies the item is an original from an earlier time when it was popular/in fashion, and not a remake or reissue.

Of course it's different if you're talking wine.

BeatChemist said:
    I always saw it as a comment on the authentic age of a particular piece, as opposed to a modern replication in the same style. For example a vintage tube amplifier vs a modern amp using tubes. It implies the item is an original from an earlier time when it was popular/in fashion, and not a remake or reissue.

Of course it's different if you're talking wine.

Can a 1982 "Modern Soul" Album be Vintage?

More vintage than "Modern Soul" made in 2013!! Yes!!

:D

BeatChemist said:
    More vintage than "Modern Soul" made in 2013!! Yes!!

:D

2013 - (Retro and/or Contemporary)Modern Soul
    1982 - "Vintage" Moder Soul
    1967 - So Regular-ass Soul is what?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Dude please.
    1982 is NOT vintage modern soul.

Vintage synth bass stylings maybe.

skel said:
    Dude please.
    1982 is NOT vintage modern soul.

Vintage synth bass stylings maybe.

Replace '82 w/ '75 and the question still stands.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    batmon said:

1967 - So Regular-ass Soul is what?

Northern

::

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    I always interpret it more generally as "Shit they don't make no more."

Not all vintage is good - there is often a reason they don't make them that way any more - like vintage cars that explode over 20 mph and run on wagon wheels (no UK biscuit ayo).

Vintage when referred to as a style which is no longer en vogue - can be good. Wifey has some timeless vintage coats, wheras she would warn me away from vintage flares (hypothetically of course, I act like I know).

I did not mean to offend the soul folks!! lol

• To me, vintage refers to the date it was created, so yeah, those Tommy Hill Figs yongins be fienin' for are vintage '97.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    They say a good wine comes from a "vintage year". Ie vintage used at least to connote that the product was manufactured during its golden age. So a vintage cadillac would be one from the 1940s or 50s and not necessarily the first one that ran off the production line in 1902, any more so that one from 1982.

Like the much overused "classic" I think that the term has been watered down in order to sell the "authenticity" of basically anything that is "old".

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    AndreBreton said:
    To me, vintage refers to the date it was created, so yeah, those Tommy Hill Figs yongins be fienin' for are vintage '97.

^^This^^

• Rockadelic said:
    AndreBreton said:
    To me, vintage refers to the date it was created, so yeah, those Tommy Hill Figs yongins be fienin' for are vintage '97.

^^This^^

i'd say it also has something to do with finding an original of something right before or during it's RETURN to popularity, meaning it had to have been popular previously.

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    The vine is usually 3-4 years old before it yields it's first vintage.

Beer is ready right away.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    tabira said:

Like the much overused "classic" I think that the term has been watered down in order to sell the "authenticity" of basically anything that is "old".

This and "Mid-Centruy" now beingused to desribe horrible massproducedparticleboard80sfurniture :(

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    vintage = OG with a twist of nostalgia and a pinch of raer