Thicke, Pharrell, TI - Blurred Lines

Comments

• to J*'s point, this is probably more Led Zeppelin vs. Willie Dixon than Biz Markie vs. Gilbert O'Sullivan...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Cowbell is a different pattern. Bassline is different. Chord progression, and melody are different.

Bingo. Shit dont sound exactly like GTGIP.

dubs

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Can we anoint this as the 2013 Summer Jam yet? It's everywhere, and doesn't really have much competition. (Is anyone actually listening to the new Timberlake these days? If so, I want to meet these people.)

Previous Soulstrut consensus that will make you feel old:

'07 Summer Jam

2009 Summer Jam

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Scott said:
    Can we anoint this as the 2013 Summer Jam yet? It's everywhere, and doesn't really have much competition.

It might be the song that's getting the most print this summer (rape undertones-related) but its broadcast is not nearly as ubiquitous as I thought it would be. I have only heard one song coming out of cars, stores and patios and it was as Doc McCoy called it, Daft Punk's Get Lucky.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Only cornballs like that shit.

Thicke, or Daft Punk for that matter.

Ugh.

• what rhymes with "hug me"?

• bassie said:
    Scott said:
    Can we anoint this as the 2013 Summer Jam yet? It's everywhere, and doesn't really have much competition.

It might be the song that's getting the most print this summer (rape undertones-related) but its broadcast is not nearly as ubiquitous as I thought it would be. I have only heard one song coming out of cars, stores and patios and it was as Doc McCoy called it, Daft Punk's Get Lucky.

Round these parts, I'd call it a tie between the two.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    what rhymes with "hug me"?

18 possibilities

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    'Round these parts, "Blurred Lines" has surpassed "Get Lucky." I swear, people - and by people I mean women and only women - request it AT LEAST 4 times a night, and these are at different gigs with different crowds (meaning not just Beckys). My appreciation of the song is beginning to diminish for that very reason. And I still don't understand why this dude and this song get singled out for "rape undertones." Damn near every other song out these days has a similarly creepy vibe when it comes to women. (Some bug and make me more uncomfortable than others.)

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Cowbell is a different pattern. Bassline is different. Chord progression, and melody are different.

Bingo. Shit dont sound exactly like GTGIP.

Dont be that guy.

The song sounds like a cheap Anglo-Caribbean cover of Got to give it up.

Herm said:
    'Round these parts, "Blurred Lines" has surpassed "Get Lucky." I swear, people - and by people I mean women and only women - request it AT LEAST 4 times a night, and these are at different gigs with different crowds (meaning not just Beckys). My appreciation of the song is beginning to diminish for that very reason. And I still don't understand why this dude and this song get singled out for "rape undertones." Damn near every other song out these days has a similarly creepy vibe when it comes to women. (Some bug and make me more uncomfortable than others.)

I didn't/don't get rape vibes from him or the song, but I can see what people are talking about.
    If you don't understand why he comes across as greasy and creepy, you don't understand. No loss, k.i.m.
    The xrated version of the video bugs me to no end. A bunch of Barely 18-type gals with their tits out around fully clothed men - GTFOOHWTBS

• edpowers said:
    The song sounds like a cheap Anglo-Caribbean cover of Got to give it up.

lol

bassie said:
    Herm said:

I didn't/don't get rape vibes from him or the song, but I can see what people are talking about.
    If you don't understand why he comes across as greasy and creepy, you don't understand. No loss, k.i.m.
    The xrated version of the video bugs me to no end. A bunch of Barely 18-type gals with their tits out around fully clothed men - GTFOOHWTBS

How's that different than any Uncut-type Hip Hop video? Or to keep it R&B, that The-Dream video?

All this rapey "drama" comes off as a weird reverse racism type thing. (Not from you, Bassie, but as a whole.) Like, "well, we expect those kind of lyrics and vibe from 'urban' artists, but Robin Thicke is the All-American boy-next-door type and we're a bit disappointed he's going this route." Meh.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    to J*'s point, this is probably more Led Zeppelin vs. Willie Dixon than Biz Markie vs. Gilbert O'Sullivan...

Groove Theory-Tell Me. comes to mind, but not from a legal perspective. When i hear "Tell Me" i dont hear an exact cover of "All night Long" but it would be impossible to ignore the influence if you're fimiliar with both.

I don't watch uncut rap videos and they don't cross my desk the way Blurred Lines has (probably because they are not mainstream and given a pass like this song/video) , so I can't comment.
    I don't know which The Dream videos you are referring to; only ones I've seen recently have gals with their clothes on or solo gals.
    I loathe the term reverse racism, so I am bowing out of the conversation now.

So now it's reverse racism to acknowledge when a privileged white artist blatantly coopts raunchiness from urban sources.

• edpowers said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    to J*'s point, this is probably more Led Zeppelin vs. Willie Dixon than Biz Markie vs. Gilbert O'Sullivan...

Groove Theory-Tell Me. comes to mind, but not from a legal perspective. When i hear "Tell Me" i dont hear an exact cover of "All night Long" but it would be impossible to ignore the influence if you're fimiliar with both.

I was thinking also of "Hot In Hurrr". Wondering if Pharell had to clear that one.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Herm said:
    'Round these parts, "Blurred Lines" has surpassed "Get Lucky."

samesies, get lucky disappeared over here

HarveyCanal said:
    So now it's reverse racism to acknowledge when a privileged white artist blatantly coopts raunchiness from urban sources.

No, you silly goose. It's "a weird reverse racism thing" when people jump on a privileged white artist because they expect "better" of him.

Admittedly though, maybe 'reverse racism' isn't the right phrase I'm looking for.

Herm said:
    HarveyCanal said:

No, you silly goose. It's "a weird reverse racism thing" when people jump on a privileged white artist because they expect "better" of him.

Admittedly though, maybe 'reverse racism' isn't the right phrase I'm looking for.

Again, they don't expect a gated community guy to act like he's suddenly all bout it bout it, because he clearly isn't.

It's not a comparison of apples to apples, as you seem to be presenting it.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    edpowers said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I was thinking also of "Hot In Hurrr". Wondering if Pharell had to clear that one.

Hot in Hurrr is a great call. Pharell has been doing this for a while. Beginning with Blackstreet "Tonight's the Night" a combination of 3 interpolations where i believe only 2 were originally credited

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Hasn't Thicke's whole schtick been "horny white R&B guy", for years? The main difference now seems to be that he made a danceable tune instead of a slow jam so more people are noticing it.

asstro said:
    Hasn't Thicke's whole schtick been "horny white R&B guy", for years? The main difference now seems to be that he made a danceable tune instead of a slow jam so more people are noticing it.

Thicke had Paula Patton as a wife to shield him from being on some str8 R.Kelly shit.

• You can't own the rights to a "feel". Melody, lyrics and master recordings only, under the current law (whether it be right or wrong in your opinion). How many disco songs have the same feel? Reggae? House? Blues? Salsa? Afrobeat? Funk? A ruling in the Gaye estate's favor would be Earth-shattering.

Gaye's song became an important influence and motivation for Michael Jackson, who was searching to write a potential hit after The Jacksons had struggled with previous offerings. Jackson later wrote, with brother Randy, the classic, "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)", taking and altering bits of Gaye's chant, "let's dance, let's shout, get funky what it's all about." The song, "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough", written solely by Jackson and recorded the same year as "Shake Your Body", took even more of Gaye's approach with the entire song, using percussive instruments as the basis of the song and a continued funk guitar riff, that was also present on "Got to Give It Up". Jackson sings most of the song in falsetto though he also adds tenor vocals in the bridge. Jackson and producer Quincy Jones added in strings to make the song different and an original. Much like the party chatter in "Got to Give It Up", Jackson added in vocal chatter, however, the chatter would later be debated as two people having a verbal argument while the tape was recording (a woman could be heard hollering "man I hate your ass anyway!"). Jackson and Jones allowed the argument in the recording.

wiki

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    batmon said:
    Gaye's song became an important influence and motivation for Michael Jackson, who was searching to write a potential hit after The Jacksons had struggled with previous offerings. Jackson later wrote, with brother Randy, the classic, "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)", taking and altering bits of Gaye's chant, "let's dance, let's shout, get funky what it's all about." The song, "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough", written solely by Jackson and recorded the same year as "Shake Your Body", took even more of Gaye's approach with the entire song, using percussive instruments as the basis of the song and a continued funk guitar riff, that was also present on "Got to Give It Up". Jackson sings most of the song in falsetto though he also adds tenor vocals in the bridge. Jackson and producer Quincy Jones added in strings to make the song different and an original. Much like the party chatter in "Got to Give It Up", Jackson added in vocal chatter, however, the chatter would later be debated as two people having a verbal argument while the tape was recording (a woman could be heard hollering "man I hate your ass anyway!"). Jackson and Jones allowed the argument in the recording.

wiki

The above mentioned MJ tracks might blend well with the Gaye tracks they drew inspiration from...but none of them sound as blatantly similar as Blurred Lines does to GTGIU.

• How many songs use the Popcorn bassline and beat and variations of it in much more blatant ways than this?

Some songs get copied so much that they start a genre, and some don't. It's just chance.

If you listen to JB's mid-60s instrumentals, you hear him kind of experimenting with grooves and funk was the one that caught on. I think several of those tracks could have inspired genres of their own but they just didn't for whatever reason.

When I first heard Blurred Lines, I thought it would be a great song to mix into GTGIU, a similar thought to ones that I've had about hundreds of other pairs of songs.

"Groove" and "feel" are not the same thing.