Soul Strut 100: # 29 - Ray Barretto - Acid

2»

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I love the timbales solo on the title track. This one also reminds me that taking acid, the real deal, is high on my bucket list.

• Dean RDean R 9 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Reynaldo said:
    "Love Beads" and "Together" are basically funk tracks; you can't really compare them to what was on Acid or before. Hards Hands and Together just sound like smaller, looser records.

This is a fair point, but Acid is still corny

I was told just today that the sessions for those records were all around the same (damn) time

I don't think this is actually true - unless you mean within a year or so. There was a different vocalist on the later two albums.

This is an astounding album and I don't think it can really be described as a boogaloo album - Love Beads is far closer cheesy boogaloo.
    The band is incredible - I was lucky enough to get some of the instrumentals of this - and what you get sounds like a top notch latin jazz group.

I've started playing Mercy Mercy Baby out again. Works every time.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Dean R said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I was told just today that the sessions for those records were all around the same (damn) time

I don't think this is actually true - unless you mean within a year or so. There was a different vocalist on the later two albums.

I didn't say the same session, just around the same time. Whether it was within the span of a few months or whatever, I don't know.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    When I opened the shop in 1990 I was stocking Latin titles, new and reissues.
    I soon found out there were only 4 maybe 5 people in Portland who cared, but they were passionate.

Acid and Hard Hands were 2 of the most requested titles. Dealing with Fania was near impossible.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I still think "Nuevo Barretto" is pretty sick. And have witnessed that boogaloo/soul stuff pack dance floors enough to deem it worthy in some sense. Not to mentin it has that whole crate digger historical aura behind it. I mean, no duh you could pull 100 crazier latin records out of your butthole in like 5 seconds, but why would you put some obscure colombian 45 or a minor NYC LP that only hardened collectors care about ahead of something like this?