Crate Diggers - Adrian Young

Possum SlimPossum Slim 353 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
Couldn't find the OG thread and thought it may be of interest.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This was a good one, though it's kinda weird that he's dissing 50 cent records when I see so many in the shop there.

Also....RZA autographed the label! Just wait until the guys in the Voodoo Funk thread hear about THAT!!

b/w

Here's the embed:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,783 Posts
    Interesting guy with plenty to say about records, but... wtf is this business about keeping his collection on the shelves in the shop?

"Hey, how much is this?"
    "Nah, that's not for sale, that's mine"
    "Uh, ok, what about this one?"
    "That's not for sale either"

8-/

• The RZA sig raised a smile although in this case it probably added a fair bit of value to the right customer.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Interesting guy with plenty to say about records, but... wtf is this business about keeping his collection on the shelves in the shop?

"Hey, how much is this?"
    "Nah, that's not for sale, that's mine"
    "Uh, ok, what about this one?"
    "That's not for sale either"

8-/

yeah that sort of struck as being a bit odd as well, it didn't seem to make sense that he obviously loved his collection so much that he was on Crate Diggers but it was all on the floor for sale.. to each their own though, this was a dope episode!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yeah that was some weird shit, but a lot of fun.
    can you imagine having your collection, not for sale, but in a store? shit, back in the days, i would have been pulling the old switcheroos like crazy if the female daytime clerk tried to keep me from buying the off limits records. not anymore, im a very respectful, karma fearing shopper

"white chick, blonde hair"

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    The Dr. Buzzards is a 50 cent record.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Every record is potentially a 50 cent record somewhere.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    His explanations and rules are hillarious.

When you hear boom boom, boom boom, boom boom...

Hahahahaha

Very entertaining. Apparently he's never heard the gazillion terrible cover songs out there.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    got an email last night from a friend asking about the strawberry fields on that sagittarius record...dude's euroman and wants me to buy one and digitize it and email it to him. I'm about to, but a trip just now through the used bins had me sick to my stomach. It's really nice and sunny outside and I'm possessed to skate bro: can't go looking through turdpiles for some beatles cover song. Comeonbro.

Thought I'd ask the Strut if anyone has a lank to this song. Obviously dude searched the tubes before he asked me. I searched the USA tubes and got nothing. Anyone have this and care to put it up? Or can find a link?

As for that vid, I liked it. I did have the same questions about the clash of "my records" and "store." What's going on? Dude starts out talking about his records being stolen is up there with child rape, and then tells me he keeps his records on the bottom shelf of a record store? Very confusing.

And, just to be sure: whatever this Venice Dawn thing is, it's him, and Lana Del Raer is actually on the cover? If so, tripzone.

Nice bunch of questions and requests on a Friday afternoon. Thanks in advance!

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Indeed, Lana Del Raer.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    He gets props on the vintage Gucci frames and Polo Indian Head denim jacket though. Real headz know...

That RZA autograph on the label of the Wendy Rene 45 still has me giggling though. It's like an Analog Africa stamp on an LP cover AND Prince smashing someone else's guitar all in one!

Controller_7 said:

:down:

Herm said:
    Polo Indian Head denim jacket though. Real headz know...!

• I watched it twice wanting to know where the store was. NY?

• adrian's store is in the little tokyo/arts district downtown los angeles.
    701 E 3rd St #120 Los Angeles, CA 90013

peace, stein. . .

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    tripledouble said:

Best part.

Unless I'm misunderstanding him, so that Belmondo film was the one that put the fire to RZA's feet to sample? I could think of much better Morricone soundtracks to be inspired by.

• I like records as much as everybody else but most collectors doesn't have much interesting to say IMO.

It's well done but boring.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    Controller_7 said:

:down:
    it looked a lot like a dutch thrift
    masada for days

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    bennyboy said:
    Indeed, Lana Del Raer.

Why didn't they show the shelves and records instead of having her talk about them?

8.40 - 8.57 What just happened?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    bassie said:
    Why didn't they show the shelves and records instead of having her talk about them?

and not enough bikini shots, amirite???

seriously though, it looks like the producer just mailed a camera and a tripod to her and was like, "interview yourself and send me the footage." Plus the questions are lame. What's the point of getting Lana del Raer on camera if you're not going to ask her what's up with the recreations and the bikini photos?

I can't really watch these videos, they're all the same. Those Dust & Groove profiles are ok, only because the photos are nice.

ppadilha said:
    bassie said:

and not enough bikini shots, amirite???

No.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    bassie said:
    bennyboy said:
    Indeed, Lana Del Raer.

gawd, this is so bad.

HEY THANKS A LOT DICKS

I can't see myself finding and flipping through the HEY WHERE ARE YOUR WHITE BLONDE ASTROLOGY BINS, so I spent ten dollars USA money on eBay to buy this junk

Friend will reimburse, but now I have to hear this GREATEST STRAWBFIELDZ COVER EVER too, so whatever

uuuuuggggggghhhhhhh

(now would be the proper time to poast up a youtube with you waving a ten dollar bill at the camera and laughing while the song plays)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not everything needs to be on youtube. These people who think they are interesting just because they collect records should meet some of the crusty chuds we know from conventions and such. They are even more interesting, but not sure any of us want to watch a profile of them on youtube either.

And talk about missing the boat on Kendrick Lamar...

• His record cover descriptions were funny. Would like to hear more of his thoughts on what constitutes acceptable whiteman clothing.

I can't help but think of the Face Off pimple cream ad in Putney Swope every time I look at these.

• bassie said:
    I can't help but think of the Face Off pimple cream ad in Putney Swope every time I look at these.

White chick, blonde hair. White chick, blonde hair.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    bassie said:

did he give her a soul kiss at the end of the shoot?

SP 1200 said:
    bassie said:

White chick, blonde hair. White chick, blonde hair.

:next_level:

also where is this bus stop? Looks a pretty long wait. The snow is melting, but I dunno.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    hows his shop?
    anyone try buying the "under the bins" records?