Soul Strut 100: # 30 - De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    batmon said:
    3-sided 12" single
    The U.S. 12" single of "Me Myself and I" was released as a "3-sided single". Side 1 of the record plays like a normal record. Side 2 was mastered with "parallel grooves". Instead of one continuous groove, there are actually two different grooves on the record. Each time the listener plays the record, it may play something different than before. One groove would play two mixes of "Me Myself and I", while the other groove would play "Brain Washed Follower".

I had this record.

I also had this. Which I always thought was odd having only one side pressed.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Yo-Check-This-Out-The-Street-Vibe-Volume-2/release/2917748

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    What about the Say No Go promo? That had a unreleased Mase jam that looped the muppet show intro.

Never see it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    What about the Say No Go promo? That had a unreleased Mase jam that looped the muppet show intro.

Never see it.

Double Huey Skit.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    DOR said:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Yo-Check-This-Out-The-Street-Vibe-Volume-2/release/2917748

Yeah, all the 12" in that series were single sided for some reason. I think I also had a Latifah one and a Cookie Crew one. (cheaper to press?!)

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    batmon said:

Id rock the 12" Singles.

In Canada you'd find the UK 12"s everywhere... and the remixes were wack.

ketan said:
    DOR said:

Yeah, all the 12" in that series were single sided for some reason. I think I also had a Latifah one and a Cookie Crew one. (cheaper to press?!)

Vol 1 was Chuck Chillout. And they came with Canadian pressings of certain albums if I recall...

ketan said:
    batmon said:

Id rock the 12" Singles.

yeah overall they were but ive give the Eye Know (The Know It All Mix) a pass. Hip House steez w/out the 4/4 shit.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    ketan said:
    batmon said:

Id rock the 12" Singles.

exactly

such a classic lp though, still one of my fave hip hop lps.

batmon said:
    ketan said:
    batmon said:

Id rock the 12" Singles.

yeah overall they were but ive give the Eye Know (The Know It All Mix) a pass.

C.J. Mackintosh I believe...

• growing up in a mid-sized canadian city, this record along with maybe 3 other titles (fresh prince, run dmc, fat boys) was all the rap music that was available to us at the time. i guess the day-glo type outfits led distributors, etc. to consider the album "family-friendly" or non-offensive.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Prince Paul does some excellent work with the Casio Rz-1 on this. Him and D-Styles made some iconic beats/sounds with that thing.

I love this record, although I could thin it out a bit these days. I love the free for all aspect of it. They just went for it. De La is my favorite rap group and this isn't necessarily my favorite (I'm more of a De La Soul Is Dead guy), but the first 3 albums are all essential to me. 3 Feet High has so many great songs on it and a lot of the samples made me like other stuff I may not have been checking for as a youngster (Steely Dan, h+o, turtles, etc). The school house rock song is incredible as is, but is a favorite of mine because of the De La sample.

Besides all of those UK remixes, De La always had great b-sides.

"Jeff. I told you, my name is Jeff."

According to some recent interview with Dres, Jeff is not Chi-Ali, which the interwebs and most people would lead you to believe.

Controller_7 said:

According to some recent interview with Dres, Jeff is not Chi-Ali, which the interwebs and most people would lead you to believe.

I never heard that one before. Besides the kid rhymes on another b-side Mack Daddy On The Left, and sounds nothing like Chi-Ali.

Controller_7 said:
    Prince Paul does some excellent work with the Casio Rz-1 on this. Him and D-Styles made some iconic beats/sounds with that thing.

I love this record, although I could thin it out a bit these days. I love the free for all aspect of it. They just went for it. De La is my favorite rap group and this isn't necessarily my favorite (I'm more of a De La Soul Is Dead guy), but the first 3 albums are all essential to me. 3 Feet High has so many great songs on it and a lot of the samples made me like other stuff I may not have been checking for as a youngster (Steely Dan, h+o, turtles, etc). The school house rock song is incredible as is, but is a favorite of mine because of the De La sample.

Besides all of those UK remixes, De La always had great b-sides.

Chi Ali talks about this at around 40:05 in.

http://www.rosenbergradio.com/2013/01/22/juan-ep-with-chi-ali/

I don't know where I heard it, or if I just assumed because they were both so young, but there's a ton of stuff online about the confusion.

Apparently that's Jeff and Chi standing next to eachother in the Buddy video.

I want more Jeff. I always liked Mack Daddy on the Left. Still do.

U could just hear the differences in the ebonics. Chi was on some lil Bronx kid shit.

Jeff sound like a suburban kid.

Isn't Jeff on the De La Soul is Dead skits?

Yeah he is. I never really questioned it much.

Ohhhhhhhhhh. Jeff he played, Jeff he played you!

Listen here you little Arsenio Hall gum-having punk.

Controller_7 said:

Hamster Penis

b/w

"If I ever was a faggot i would never flaunt something that says hamburgers.....Skip To My Loop...Skip To My Loop"

Maybe it was the complete disappearance of Jeff that created the mystery. It seemed plausible that it could've been Chi, because otherwise, where did Jeff go? I guess I never really thought about it until I read that interview with Dres and realized that Jeff was not just a younger Chi-Ali.

Mase in his Australian accent or whatever that is always cracked me up at the beginning. I loved the whole intro skit. Perdue Chicken is another word that is forever in my mind because of that record.

"How many feathers are on a perdue chicken?
    How many fibers are intertwined in a shredded what biscuit?
    What does touch?? et le les poux mean?
    How many times did the Batmobile catch a flat?"

I just didnt imagine Jeff doing Pass The 40, Roadrunner and Lemonade after the De La Singles. '

They dont sound anything alike. Dude moved from Amityville to The Bronx?

I was 9 going on 10 when this came out and I grew up in San Jose. My burough knowledge is obviously lacking.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:
    Are they the only Hip Hop artists to rock the hidden double track with the Brainwashed Follower joint?

Nah, the UK 10" of LL's Going Back To Cali was a double-groove joint with Jack The Ripper.

Did anyone actually cut out the proof of purchases and send them in?

I always wanted to.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    I always liked the Ghetto Thang remix off the B-Side of the UK BUDDY 12 inch.

Controller_7 said:

Body slam him Je

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Prince Paul was on the Stretch & Bobbito show once back around the time that his "Prince Among Theives" LP came out ad they were bugging him to give up the answers to the questions. Paul could only remember that "Touche et le les poux" was "Shut the hell up" backwards, the rest he couldn't come up with but he did say there were answers to all of the questions.

• Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    Controller_7 said:

Body slam him Je

Oooh you let him call you Arsenio

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    Controller_7 said:

Body slam him Je

Ooooooooooooohhhhh you let him call you Arsenio!!! Oooooooooooohhhh

I still crack up whenever I hear the skits on "De La Soul is Dead". Like the other person said, I'm more of a "Dead" fan, but "3 Feet" is a great album.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:
    Are they the only Hip Hop artists to rock the hidden double track with the Brainwashed Follower joint?

Nah, the UK 10" of LL's Going Back To Cali was a double-groove joint with Jack The Ripper.

off topic: were there a lot of UK 10" recs of american rapp records from that time?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Everybody, including the son, thought it would be on like donkey kong.

Thats kinda fucked up.

:zooted:

asstro said:
    Controller_7 said:

Prince Paul was on the Stretch & Bobbito show once back around the time that his "Prince Among Theives" LP came out ad they were bugging him to give up the answers to the questions. Paul could only remember that "Touche et le les poux" was "Shut the hell up" backwards, the rest he couldn't come up with but he did say there were answers to all of the questions.

A. There are no feathers on a Purdue chicken. They have been de-feathered when they reach the edible, Purdue labeled stage..

B.There are no "fibers" in shredded wheat. They are what the cereal industry call "ribbons" of wheat. And they are not "intertwined".

C. Shut the hell up

D. The bat mobile never gets flat tires. It was designed to resist any rigorous road conditions and the tires are solid rubber.