Not that the Grammys ever get it right....

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
and im probably beating a deadhorse..but these new categories are a bit baffling:

Winners

R&B album: "Black Radio," Robert Glasper Experiment (more of a jazz record than R&B, imho)

Rap/sung collaboration: "No Church in the Wild," Jay-Z, Kanye West featuring Frank Ocean, The-Dream (Rap/sung?).

Urban contemporary album: "Channel Orange," Frank Ocean (Urban Contemporary?)

Comments

• Did they mention Donald Byrd?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    Did they mention Donald Byrd?

nope

• batmon said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

nope

jesus...

• At least Black Radio and Channel Orange are good albums.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    batmon said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

nope

I think they put those tribute videos together a few weeks before the awards show, so they always miss a few. Which probably just means they'll forget to mention him next year.

I'm of the opinion that shows like the Grammys and Oscars need not only the video of those who died in the past year, but also one for those who should have died. The Rolling Stones would be top of my list.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    batmon said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

nope

I think they put those tribute videos together a few weeks before the awards show, so they always miss a few. Which probably just means they'll forget to mention him next year.

I'm of the opinion that shows like the Grammys and Oscars need not only the video of those who died in the past year, but also one for those who should have died. The Rolling Stones would be top of my list.

also, theoretically, this is the list of people who passed away in 2012, so Byrd would be in next year's list. they're definitely not 'forgetting' him, the list is pretty thorough, they usually don't 'miss' anyone. they mentioned spinetta, bob babbit, frank wilson et al this year.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Too, according to the Times' obit, Byrd's death was only recently confirmed by a funeral home, even though there had been talk of his passing for several days prior. Plenty of room to criticize the awards but not on that topic. At least, not yet.

I will say that despite the jazz pedigree in the tribute, the performance of "Take Five" was kind of flat.