Deaths of Musicians

Juan CocktolstoyJuan Cocktolstoy 216 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
For me, drug overdoses and alcohol poisioning pretty much sums up the demise of most musicians both young and old. Post up some questionable or bizarre deaths of musicians.

Comments

• Warne Marsh died onstage mid-solo while playing 'Out Of Nowhere'.

John Denver died flying a homemade airplane.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    After sneaking onstage at a Carlos Santana concert on September 11, 1987, and being ejected from the premises, Pastorius made his way to the Midnight Bottle Club in Wilton Manors, Florida.[23] After reportedly kicking in a glass door, having been refused entrance to the club, he was engaged in a violent confrontation with the club bouncer, Luc Havan.[24] Pastorius was hospitalized for multiple facial fractures and injuries to his right eye and left arm. He fell into a coma and was put on life support.[citation needed]

Initial encouraging signs that he would come out of the coma and recover faded. A massive brain hemorrhage a few days later led to brain death. Pastorius died on September 21, 1987, aged 35, at Broward General Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale, and was buried at Our Lady Queen of Heaven Cemetery in North Lauderdale.[25]

In the wake of Pastorius' death, Havan was charged with second degree murder but later pleaded guilty to manslaughter. Because he had no prior convictions, and accounting for time served while waiting for the verdict, he was sentenced to 22 months in prison, and five years probation. After four months in prison, he was paroled for good behavior. [26]

R.I.P. Jaco Pastorius
    :shitty: :cry: :hated_it: :nagl:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Paul McCartney

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

It's a pity I can't find that Grand Royal article about his death on line anywhere. "Murky circumstances", indeed.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sonny Bono.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Dimebag Darrell

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Stiv Bators - hit by a cab, got tired of waiting at the hosptial, went home, went to bed, did not wake up
    Sam Cooke - at a motel, not sure who shot him
    Marvin Gaye - father shot him
    Jerry Fuchs - fell down elevator shaft
    Elliot Smith - stabbed in the heart, suicide or homicide by girlfriend
    Michael Hutchence - auto-erotic fun gone wrong

On the morning of September 12, Jara was taken, along with thousands of others, as a prisoner to the Chile Stadium (renamed the Estadio V??ctor Jara in September 2003[5] ). In the hours and days that followed, many of those detained in the stadium were tortured and killed there by the military forces. Jara was repeatedly beaten and tortured; the bones in his hands were broken as were his ribs.[6] Fellow political prisoners have testified that his captors mockingly suggested that he play guitar for them as he lay on the ground with broken hands. Defiantly, he sang part of "Venceremos" (We Will Win), a song supporting the Popular Unity coalition.[6] After further beatings, he was machine-gunned on September 16, his body dumped on a road on the outskirts of Santiago and then taken to a city morgue where 44 bullets were found in his body.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    King Curtis - stabbed on the steps outside his home
    Gary Mc Farland - him and his friend's drinks were spiked with a lethal dose of methadone in a New York bar. Murderer never found.
    Lee Morgan - shot on stage by his wife

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Jeff Porcaro - Bizarre Gardening Accident?

Ricky Nelson - Freebasing Coke Causes Plane Crash?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

JGW died on stage

• Died from a seizure?

I know he's a dancer, but still; fell off stage?

• LaserWolf said:

Is that Mama Cass?

tabira said:
    King Curtis - stabbed on the steps outside his home
    Gary Mc Farland - him and his friend's drinks were spiked with a lethal dose of methadone in a New York bar. Murderer never found.
    Lee Morgan - shot on stage by his wife

Some how I did not know about McFarland and Morgan.

Victor Jara deserves a separate thread. Whole other level.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Tommy "Hi-Heel Sneakers" Tucker died from inhaling carbon tetrachloride while refinishing his hardwood floors.

Steve Peregrin Took of T. Rex choked to death on a cocktail cherry

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Johnny Ace

• RAJ said:
    Jeff Porcaro - Bizarre Gardening Accident?

OD'd on coke, according to the coroner.

• ppadilha said:
    Dimebag Darrell

There's a good vh1 behind the music on this. Can't even imagine being at a show when something like that happens.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Harry Chapin - car accident/heart attack
    Peter Ivers - bludgeoned to death

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    aaliyah died in a plane crash on the way back from filming a video in the bahamas. the pilot wasn't qualified to fly the plane, overloaded the plane, and had coke and booze in his system... what's more tragic is that baby doll and her crew were meant to be flying back the next day but finished filming a day early and decided to head back quick-fast. ugh.

• Kyu Sakamoto - Japanese airline flight 123 - deadliest single-aircraft accident

• Roger Troutman, a renowned funk-music innovator who recorded with his brothers in the band Zapp in the early 80's, died on Sunday at the Good Samaritan Hospital and Health Center in Dayton, Ohio. He was 47 and lived in Dayton.

Mr. Troutman was shot several times in the torso on Sunday and died during surgery, Sgt. Gary White of the Dayton police department said. Mr. Troutman's older brother Larry, a former bandmate and business partner, was found dead of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound the same day in a car nearby. The police said they were investigating the possibility of a murder-suicide.

This one hit hard at home in Dayton. I was good friends and went to high school with his niece Tiffany White, Larry's daughter. What she told me was that it was over money between Larry and Roger, and Roger was moving on with his success and career and Larry felt disrespected. The "Unsung" episode on VH1 covered it pretty well, and Tiffany was on there talking about it.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    a homemade airplane.

that's badass.

GatorToof said:
    Kyu Sakamoto - Japanese airline flight 123 - deadliest single-aircraft accident

Wayne Shorter's wife was on that too.

When was Bobby Sands a musician? Not here to grind any opinion, but I don't see why he's named here.

Thymebomb13 said:
    J i m s t e r said:

When was Bobby Sands a musician? Not here to grind any opinion, but I don't see why he's named here.

Fair question, but he was a songwriter. He wrote this, for one:

If you're actually interested there's more.

He wrote the lyrics (as I am sure you know, and he wrote poetry in prison, too) but he wasn't a performer of music, per se.

Buddy Holly & Ritchie Valens & The Big Bopper

guess The Big Bopper doesn't deserve his own movie...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Most poignant of all, of course, was Johnny Ramone.
    He died of being a reactionary republican asshole; what a sad way to go.

Apropos of Bobby Sands, I too write the poetry

Boston funded dem Hi-r-hay
    Blew up half my town
    When Obama and 'em pulled the same trick
    It was all drones and Gitmo and summary executions and shit

Still working on the scanning of that one

Wasn't there some dhoud who went out by electric shock, when playing an outdoor fest in the rain? I can't remember who it was, I could google it, but prefer the skewed storyways of The Strut rather than cold, hard facts.

Please tell me when it was at the awgazmick peak of a solo and he was rocking full "Facemelt" solo face...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    John Bonham choked to death on his own vomit after an alcoholic binge. In the twenty-four hours before he died, he had consumed forty shots of vodka.

Keith Relf of the Yardbirds was electrocuted playing an improperly grounded electric guitar in his home.

Guitar legend Roy Buchanan was found hanged from his own shirt in a jail cell in the Fairfax County, Virginia Jail. His cause of death was officially recorded as suicide, a finding disputed by Buchanan's friends and family.

Terry Kath of Chicago died after a party at roadie/band technician Don Johnson's home in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California, Kath took an unloaded .38 revolver and put it to his head, pulling the trigger several times on the empty chambers. Johnson had warned Kath several times to be careful. Kath then picked up a semiautomatic 9 mm pistol and, leaning back in a chair, said to Johnson, "Don't worry, it's not loaded". After showing the magazine to Johnson, Kath replaced the magazine in the gun, put the gun to his temple, and pulled the trigger. There was a round in the chamber, and he died instantly.