Mardi Gras on the way...favorite New Orleans records

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
post some of your faves

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Bo Dollis n' 'nem have a later version of this song called "Shallow Water Oh Mama" that's a faster tempo, heavier on the brass, and devolves into an absolutely batshit squall in its final minutes. Tuba all up in your chest. Gets my highest recommendation.

Anyway, apart from all the standard stuff:

Plus pretty much that whole Professor Longhair live at St. Bernard Civic Auditorium thing from like '73.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ha, I have a friend on his way to the Superbowl and I sent him a 20 song playlist of some favorite NOLA songs, many of which are repped here.

Songs I'd add:

Inell Young: What Do You See In Her

Floyd Anckle and the Majestic Brass Band: Hey Pocky-Way

Allen Toussaint: Soul Sister

The Stokes: Go Back Home

• mannybolone said:

The Stokes: Go Back Home

So good. I was fortunate enough to talk to Mr. Toussaint for a few minutes a couple years ago and I asked him about this song. He said he wrote it right after he got out of the Army and he hadn't listened to it since it had first came out. He admitted he had kind of forgotten about it. To have such a repertoire that you can forget gems like that...man.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts

• not sure if this will resonate w/anyone not from new orleans, but this mix dropped today of classic mardi gras/new orleans funk songs with that beat behind them (read: bounce remixes): http://soundcloud.com/gypsyphonic-disko/gypsyphonic-mardi-gras-full

here's another recent record that might be more up the Strut's alley though:

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Opens with the best hundred seconds of cowbell ever:

And you know what? Fuck it:

Around 5:28, hold tight.

Special "What's up" to the one Terry_Clubbup.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    sissy wop

• Hot 8 Brass Band are supporting us tonight at Tulane for the forthcoming festivities. NOLA heads holler. I'm getting on a plane right now on my way out

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    new orleans & football

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Been pulling records all week for a Mardi Gras party I'm deejaying tomorrow. Making a pot of gumbo tonight for it as well...

This one needs to be screwed and chopped so baaaaaaaaad....

And fuck what you say, it's STILL a West Bank thing...

MC Thick knows what's up...

As does DJ Jubilee...

willie_fugal said:
    not sure if this will resonate w/anyone not from new orleans, but this mix dropped today of classic mardi gras/new orleans funk songs with that beat behind them (read: bounce remixes): http://soundcloud.com/gypsyphonic-disko/gypsyphonic-mardi-gras-full

Awesome, thank you!

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    i'm super weak on Nola records, but i do have some faves. when i say 'have' i don't mean i have the record, i just know about them:

Whodat call da police?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks for posting these. It's been a great day listening.

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    The Meters - Hey Pocky A-Way

The Wild Tchoupitoulas version

• I can still remember loosing my shit the first time I dropped a needle on this LP.

I feel a long ways from New Or here what with the flash freeze and bone chilling winds. The music helps though.

• i could go on & on & on...

• p.s. i have a spotify playlist from a year or 2 ago w/about 150 songs on it made for just throwing on shuffle during mardi gras time: http://open.spotify.com/user/offbeatmagazine/playlist/4zJV0XGIxON1KJUsQqZEDu

• Figured someone would have posted this by now:

I can't be the only one who loves this, right?