more in to an artist after meeting them?

anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I thought that the "ever give up on an artist after meeting them" post was quite amusing. On a related note, who have you met in person, who actually made you more interested/connected to their work?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Lord Finesse seemed like dude.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Saul williams. Very calm and smart in person. It reflects in his poetry, but not so much on his music.

- spidey

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    J-Zone

Josh Davis

DJ Q-Bert

DJ Shortkut

Muro

all extremely laid back people and very humble in regards to their skills / music / knowledge...

peace.

• Mase[/b] from De La Soul. And that says a lot, considering I hold De La pretty high on my list anyway. There were a bunch of fans stuck out of a sold out show in Houston at Fitzgerald's around the time of the Stakes is High album. Bunch of broke folks, hanging around the front of the club dismayed that they couldn't see the show. He had arranged the night before (after a show in Austin) to let a few of my lady friends and myself (altho, I think I might have just stretched myself into that) get into the show on his list. So when word got out that a bunch of us were outside trying to get in, dude came out from the club, brought the whole crowd of us who were stuck out onto his tour bus, and put every single one of us on his list. My lady friends hadn't even made it to the club yet. I mean, that's pretty real. He didn't have to do any of that. Some straight love for his fans type shit. Then he got went back in, and did one of the livest party-rocking sets I've ever seen at a Hip-Hop show. And he was humble even while he was interacting with the crowd on stage. I have endless respect for that dude.

Bun B[/b]. Bun is a living legend to me, and tho I can't say I really MET him, met him, he dapped me up one day at Damage Control for playing Whodini in an old school mix. He just seemed real down to earth, and that's quite a feat for a dude who is like a God in Houston. That was as close to one of those "I'm never washing my hand again" moments as I've ever been. I think that highly of dude.

Big Mello[/b] (R.I.P.). He came to my radio show to do an interview a few years before he passed. I remember Cashless did the interviewing, and Mello was real warm and friendly during the whole thing. They chopped it up about old school Houston shit, and he was just real down to earth and real generous with his responses. He invited me to hang with him the rest of the day as he went around Austin to promote his latest record. We went to a really bootleg car show on campus (I'd barely even call it a car show), and non-campus folks hanging around at the show were real geeked to meet dude, 'cause he was a big name in the hood back in the day. Man, the way he treated those folks was real cool. You could tell he really appreciated that. I felt bad for Mello that day, because his promo stint in Austin wasn't very fruitful. It was poorly organized and didn't seem very productive. But he was energetic and approachable the whole way through. Made me respect the southern rap hustle that much more, 'cause that shit was crazy professional on some "people's champ" type shit.

Visionaries[/b]. Sadly, I don't always check for their music, even though I'm not mad at it at all. But every time I've met or hung out with them, they're like the nicest, friendliest folks on the planet. 2Mex, Lord Zen, and Rhetmattic especially. And they love the shit out of their fans, who love them in kind. I don't think I've ever met a group more appreciative of the folks who come to their shows. And their passion for their music is impressive and inspiring.

MC Ren[/b]. Another legend to me. I still can't believe I met this dude, and granted it was well after his peak, but he came to my show, spit some live versus on some Low Pro beats, and was incredibly professional and cordial and honest the whole way through. He did a great interview with my homeboy Brotha K the next day. Dude was crazy polite. I mean, dude was in N.W.A., man. To think, the feds were clocking these dudes on some threat-to-society, Public Enemy #1 shit, and dude was one of the nicest MCs I ever met. Realness.

Whoridas[/b]. JD can back me on this. Those dudes are hilarious, and really charismatic. The interview with them and M'Phatigo after my radio show is one of my favorite Hip-Hop memories of all time. That experience made me check for them even after their music started to fade.

Jungle Brothers[/b]. Maybe the most influential group in my Hip-Hop upbringing. Real cool cats. I remember giving Sammy B a copy of Q-Bert's pre-school breaks mixtape, and he was really digging it. Those dudes lived up to all my expectations and then some. Still feel honored to have met them.

Fifth Platoon DJs[/b]. Cool-ass people's, man. Niel Armstrong is ??ber-dude. Makes listening to his mixtapes that much more enjoyable.

Actually, I could mention a number of DJs the same way. Seems like a lot of DJs I've met are really chill, humble folks. I know it ain't like that with everyone, but I think it's more acceptable for that in DJ culture than it is, say, with MCs.

• Options
    J-Zone

Anyone know if J-Zone is a poker player? I could have SWORN I saw him last Saturday morning at a poker table in the Tropicana's poker room in Atlantic City.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I was thinking about this very topic while eating dinner...

SPITBOY

All girl hardcore band from Oakland, California. Dominique, the bass player, was roommates with my girlfriend. Saw them play 20 or 30 times. All very personal, interesting, smart women. They had this great style of singing where they'd all sing at the same time. It was distracting and a little weird the first time I heard it, but now I really love it, and look forward to those parts in the songs. (Suffer the consequenceeeeeees!)

They'd play all these horrible punk clubs, and assholes would always yell shit at them. They'd usually engage the asshole between songs. It was always terribly funny and painful to wach some chode say, "You are just riot girl bitches who can't fucking play!" They'd ask him questions, he's yell something back. By the end, the dude would be completely emasculated, usually apologetic, and leave the show in shame. It was a beautifully disarming technique, and quite daring, I think. It takes stones to put it all out there -- I admire that. And they were a great band.

Spitboy broke up, and 3 of the women formed Instant Girl, then Dominique and the drummer started playing acoustic music in a band called Hate Plate. (Dominique is a classically trained cellist.) Dominique is in a group called Threnody Ensemble now...

The dinner song from this evening.

• Mike Watt.

My band opened for dude in the mid-90's,
    and he was just the coolest, most encouraging dude ever.
    By far the best experience I've had meeting a dude
    of that stature.
    I already had a lot of respect, but honestly,
    until then, I hadn't paid much attention to
    his post-Minutemen music.
    i was missing quite a few nice records.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    met a bunch of cats after shows but Rakaa & Cut Chemist were the freshest. both were mad stoned and i was drunk (hell, it was in milwaukee) and we just chilled and talked shit. iri gave me his number to get some free records and cut gave a funny ass promo for my radio show ('this is cut chemist with the hot buns and barbq'...its sticky!)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Vesta Williams. She was suuuuuch a sweetheart, gave me a big ole' hug and everything. Pos K was real cool (backstage at a BDK concert). Dude gave me a contact for his manager to shop beats. He is like reeeeeeeal short. Mista Cee was my dog, played our tour guide through the Sty back '89 (gave the backstage hook-up above). He even came to North Kakalak to check us out. Dude is dude. PMD was cool too who I met up in Ohio about 9-10 years ago. We sat at the bar, drinking and talking about hip-hop.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I knew Adrienne from Spitboy (the singer) when she moved to NY in the late 90's, she went out with a friend of mine and my band played with hers a few times. She was a nice person but ended up screwing my boy over pretty bad with another guy, which has permanently colored my opinion of her. I never liked Spitboy anyway, at least the records. I never saw them play, but if 4 guys made those records they wuld never have gotten noticed.

In general though, I have found time and again that meeting and becoming friendly with musicians/rappers/artists will tend to make me appreciate what they do a lot more.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    J-Zone

Werd, we interviewed him for a college radio show I used to do and dude was mad cool. Big Pooh of Little Hermano was real chill too.

On to a short story: A ways back I went to a Das Efx and Onyx show out here in LA and Pac rolled thru sweatin the crowd real hard - at least it seemed that way. Well mid way thru Onyx's set they started their kut "Last Dayz" and Pac just stared at the stage for what seemed liked minutes but then smirked like - ya, dats the my shit - and started knoddin his head to the beat. We said a quick wuttup to him afterwards and dude was saying what up to everybody and just chillin...

• Mike Watt.

of that stature.
    met mike watt a few days ago on a flight back from paris. nicest dude evar. peace, stein. . .

• met a bunch of cats after shows but Rakaa & Cut Chemist were the freshest. both were mad stoned and i was drunk (hell, it was in milwaukee) and we just chilled and talked shit. iri gave me his number to get some free records and cut gave a funny ass promo for my radio show ('this is cut chemist with the hot buns and barbq'...its sticky!)
    cut chemist does not smoke. peace, stein.

• Sharon Jones. She absolutely killed it and afterwards I came over to pay my respect and she seemed genuinely appreciative. I'm sure other people on here have had more extended contact with her than I have, but I had to note it here.

And I must also give respect to Double K, who tried to bring my friend back into the club with him after he got kicked out for smoking weed. He still got stopped though.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Mike Watt.

of that stature.
    mike watts from swishahouse? huh?

• Nah, this dude:

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i like swishahouse mike watts better

• Sharon Jones. She absolutely killed it and afterwards I came over to pay my respect and she seemed genuinely appreciative. I'm sure other people on here have had more extended contact with her than I have, but I had to note it here.

And I must also give respect to Double K, who tried to bring my friend back into the club with him after he got kicked out for smoking weed. He still got stopped though.

sharon jones cool as hell. she also likes geeky white dudes. peace, stein. . .

• Well, they are both pretty good.
    You never listened to the minutemen, TheMack?
    You should check them out.

• i like swishahouse mike watts better

you don't know shit about eother of them

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Beck and Pharrell.

I actually got to say that Pharrell was so fucking cool, that after hearing me spin 1 night, I got a call the next morning and he asked me to spin for his NERD/Jay-Z concert. That's fucking real as fuck.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    Finesse (was genuine & obviously still passionate about hip hop whereas most older acts just wanna get the show overwith & get paid)
    Q. B & M M Mike
    charlie chase
    cash money
    co sign mase/de la
    breis
    Clyde Stubblefield
    dj Format
    Axelrod
    edan
    dangermouse

Usually I go off them after meeting them though..

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    oh yeah, Young Einstein!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Idris Muhammad
    Probably the coolest person Ive ever met. I had just found his Power of Soul album in the day and was going to his show at the bluenote that night. I'm walking up to the club with record in hand just as he pulls up in a cab. He sees me and the rec, does about 4 double takes and is like "where did youget that, thats my favorite record!" I talk to him for a few and tells me to have a drink with him between sets. After killing the first set I chat with him for about 40 minutes, just talking about all his records and the people he played with. he told me about this inmate who who got through prison by listening to that record. Finally he's like "are you a player?" and I have to tell him that im just a dj. He says "oh so you're gonna sample that record?" Pretty embarassing, but he said it would be cool.
    During he second set, he goes into this ten minute long solo, where he's playing the like the sides of the drums, really slow, then he looks over at me, kind of tips his head and goes into the baddest breakbeat Ive ever heard. Nothing but praise for the man.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Idris Muhammad
    Probably the coolest person Ive ever met. I had just found his Power of Soul album in the day and was going to his show at the bluenote that night. I'm walking up to the club with record in hand just as he pulls up in a cab. He sees me and the rec, does about 4 double takes and is like "where did youget that, thats my favorite record!" I talk to him for a few and tells me to have a drink with him between sets. After killing the first set I chat with him for about 40 minutes, just talking about all his records and the people he played with. he told me about this inmate who who got through prison by listening to that record. Finally he's like "are you a player?" and I have to tell him that im just a dj. He says "oh so you're gonna sample that record?" Pretty embarassing, but he said it would be cool.
    During he second set, he goes into this ten minute long solo, where he's playing the like the sides of the drums, really slow, then he looks over at me, kind of tips his head and goes into the baddest breakbeat Ive ever heard. Nothing but praise for the man.

Wow!!!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Chali 2Na

Can't say I'm really into his music (never bought his album) but dude was super nice when I met him.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    A few folks.....come to mind but for real I got to meet Wierd Al Yankovich and he was one of the coolest dudes I ever met....Also Pete Sampras used to come into my work all the time and hide out in the music section of the retail shop where I worked while his wife shopped...Dude was balling hard and never acted like a dick always chopped it up with the folks who worked there....All around cool dude....one time he got spotted and it turned into a scene. dude kept it FOCUSED..(However the cats music selection was so bland!)
    On the music side a lot of cats are dicks.... Like 2nd rate underground rappers that think they are on and act like they are god...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Mr. Dibbs is one of the coolest cats on the planet.

I'm usually real disapointed when i meet these rap dudes in the real world. I'm glad it dont go to everybody's head.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Idris Muhammad

HOLY SHIT! THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

• Idris Muhammad

Holy. Crap.