Vice goes record digging in Africa

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central

Comments

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Frank should make a Kickstarter and get that doc finished. I got five on it!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This wasn't my doc, I was just the subject. The film maker successfully ran a Kickstarter for it a year ago or so and the film is has long been finished and shown on a few festivals. There probably won't be a commercial DVD release but I hope it will be available for download sometime soon.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Keep us posted! I wanna be Frank when I grow up

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yeah keep us posted
    mauritania is not so safe from what i've heard (frank?) but if i move to senegal i will be on the lookout
    i got a former DJ friend of my dad to holla at so i am itching to return quickly
    and I am slowly working on the former minister of culture to unlock the doors to his collection (i brought many jazz titles he had requested and he did not let me even have a peep)

• pcmr said:
    yeah keep us posted
    mauritania is not so safe from what i've heard (frank?) but if i move to senegal i will be on the lookout
    i got a former DJ friend of my dad to holla at so i am itching to return quickly
    and I am slowly working on the former minister of culture to unlock the doors to his collection (i brought many jazz titles he had requested and he did not let me even have a peep)

No it's not safe, since the Libyan government fell in 2011 all sorts of terrorist groups looted the arsenals there and now no country in the Sahel is safe from these barbarians. And with the recent French intervention things are sure to heat up there in the near future. I tremble at the notion of what will happen to all the cultural heritage in that region now.

From what I know though countries like Mali and Niger never produced much records (vinyl) they got mostly cassettes over there.

I might still visit Senegal for fieldwork this year. What's your connection to the country are you from there?

• pcmr said:
    (i brought many jazz titles he had requested and he did not let me even have a peep)

sounds like a nice guy.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I thought I'd post this since people asked for it... this is a slightly different version (I think) than the final cut that was screened and sent out on DVD to the Kickstarter supporters.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    Thanks for sharing this Frank!
    Any chance to listen back to the radio shows you did on wfmu?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    jimey said:
    Thanks for sharing this Frank!
    Any chance to listen back to the radio shows you did on wfmu?

Sorry but I think those aren't archived anymore. I just tried to log into their archive and my account also has been suspended. I'm going to do radio shows on http://www.radiogwen.ch/en/ every day from April 22nd-26th

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Frank, that doc is great. You have killer taste in shirts, though you don't seem half as angry in person as you do online, which is a little disappointing.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    Frank, that doc is great. You have killer taste in shirts, though you don't seem half as angry in person as you do online, which is a little disappointing.

Haha... sorry for the let-down. I was self-medicating with valium and sodabi to bring out my softer side. After having wrongfully been accused of wearing Tommy Bahama (which I had to google) I appreciate the comment on the shirts,

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Frank said:
    I thought I'd post this since people asked for it... this is a slightly different version (I think) than the final cut that was screened and sent out on DVD to the Kickstarter supporters.

At the 14:40 mark, you give that kid some CD's...it's an amazing scene. He seems really genuinely blown away that you gave him all those mixes for free...it's really moving shit, man.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Frank said:
    Danno3000 said:

Haha... sorry for the let-down. I was self-medicating with valium and sodabi to bring out my softer side. After having wrongfully been accused of wearing Tommy Bahama (which I had to google) I appreciate the comment on the shirts,

Tommy Bahama? Please. I'd wager that you have those shirts made.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    Frank said:
    Danno3000 said:

Tommy Bahama? Please. I'd wager that you have those shirts made.

yeah, it was awesome to get to chose from all those amazing fabrics on the markets and then just drop them off at the tailor... I tried to set up a business for a friend to sell these to stores in Germany but couldn't get any store owners excited about it.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Frank said:

The video has been removed. Is there any other way to watch it?