BOOKS

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
NO this is not a thread about "hey bro what book you reading." quite the contrary. this is about one of the implicit dangers of books.so china and korea are up in arms about a history book that has been approved by the japanese government. now, im kinda shaky on the details so maybe motown or odub or someone more knowledgeable can fill in the cracks. but anyways, this "history" book, which has been approved for educational classroom purposes, glosses over the countless atrocities that the japanese government launched against its neighbors that lead to world war 2. and china and korea are PISSED. and rightfully so. i mean, really, the japanese government is shady as fuck. after all, it is modeled and monitored by the united states government. see, after the war, america occupied japan, much like how we occupy iraq, so that we could "spread" our great way of life to millions of less fortunate. the business practices, diplomacy, etc., while remaining "japanese", are very much american. in any case, people know how damaging books can be. how they can nearly wipe out the existence of events, people, and places. just thought id point that out.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• do you suppose the history textbooks chinese kids are getting are any better? think they cover the rampant canabilism during the revolution or any other pieces of chinese history the chinese government would like to gloss over? its the inevitable consequence of state sponsored propaganda distributed in the form of "education", books included. im all about the denationalization of education.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    do you suppose the history textbooks chinese kids are getting are any better? think they cover the rampant canabilism during the revolution or any other pieces of chinese history the chinese government would like to gloss over? its the inevitable consequence of state sponsored propaganda distributed in the form of "education", books included. im all about the denationalization of education.

i remember learning a lot about slavery & how america was really won in HS class, ohh wait that was just a pipe dream, my bad, carry on

• There's a pretty entrenched cottage industry in Japan (some old timers, some nationalists) dedicated to ignoring Japanese atrocities/culpability before and during WW2, up to and including the idea that Japan was defending itself at Pearl Harbor.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    do you suppose the history textbooks chinese kids are getting are any better?

uh, no. not by a long shot. all of asia is like this. i mean, as much as i knock the US, it is world's better than most as far as trying to remain as fair and unbiased as possible.

There's a pretty entrenched cottage industry in Japan (some old timers, some nationalists) dedicated to ignoring Japanese atrocities/culpability before and during WW2, up to and including the idea that Japan was defending itself at Pearl Harbor.

yup. the equivalent of the kkk, tho not as violent. in japan, if you see a black school bus with screens on the windows and a PA system on the roof, that is the japanese nationalists spouting forth their agenda.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    do you suppose the history textbooks chinese kids are getting are any better?

uh, no. not by a long shot. all of asia is like this. i mean, as much as i knock the US, it is world's better than most as far as trying to remain as fair and unbiased as possible.

• including the idea that Japan was defending itself at Pearl Harbor.

defense by preemtive attack. sound familiar?

to fill in the facts often over looked in american text books though, if someone gave $2 bil in cash to support a country you were at war with and started blockading energy imports into your country, you're gonna do something, no?

• There's a pretty entrenched cottage industry in Japan (some old timers, some nationalists) dedicated to ignoring Japanese atrocities/culpability before and during WW2, up to and including the idea that Japan was defending itself at Pearl Harbor.

yup. the equivalent of the kkk, tho not as violent. in japan, if you see a black school bus with screens on the windows and a PA system on the roof, that is the japanese nationalists spouting forth their agenda.

what is that agenda these days?

There's a pretty entrenched cottage industry in Japan (some old timers, some nationalists) dedicated to ignoring Japanese atrocities/culpability before and during WW2, up to and including the idea that Japan was defending itself at Pearl Harbor.

i have no idea, really. never had a grasp of the language and never cared enough to find out. but im pretty sure its something like close the borders, stop the americanization of the youth, return to traditional japanese values.

i have no idea, really. never had a grasp of the language and never cared enough to find out. but im pretty sure its something like close the borders, stop the americanization of the youth, return to traditional japanese values.

sounds about right for your average nationalist movement.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Slightly off topic -- I took Russian in highschool for a couple of years, and the books they had were pretty outdated. In the first book, there were pictures of different types of Russians and the word for them underneath. When we got to the picture of the "communist" we were told to overlook that.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    NO this is not a thread about "hey bro what book you reading." quite the contrary. this is about one of the implicit dangers of books.

Or "Hey Book? What's happenin' bro? Grab that ol' cheeba cheeba? Fuck that it's all about custom pakalolo blends! Right on!"

NO this is not a thread about "hey bro what book you reading." quite the contrary. this is about one of the implicit dangers of books.

Or "Hey Book? What's happenin' bro? Grab that ol' cheeba cheeba? Fuck that it's all about custom pakalolo blends! Right on!"

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Shig, What's the deal hommie? I'm busy at work now, but when I get home I will post a nice long response to wonderful Japanese history books and ultra nationalistic groups in big busses.

Chan

Shig, What's the deal hommie? I'm busy at work now, but when I get home I will post a nice long response to wonderful Japanese history books and ultra nationalistic groups in big busses.

Chan

nice! yeah, when theyd roll through town id get all nervous like theyre gonna hop out the bus and hit me with kendo sticks. then i remembered that im pretty inconspicuous and went about my merry way.