sample spot.. Buffalo gals

frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
Always wondered if the yelling at the start of buffalo gals was a sample or something McLaren recorded in the track..
I don't know of any clean instances of it, but I know it's been used a bunch of times over the years. One of those things that has eluded me but I'm pretty curious about..

Very first sound at the start..

Comments

• hard to say but if you wanna go on a scavanger hunt I'd start with the the mikey dread show, so many good jingles and drops, I think trevor horn and malcolm where both junkies of this radio show back in the day...should sound like the mc or shotcallers of the day

• i have been wondering this for a while as well...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Used here as well.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Gravediggaz used it too somewhere on 6FeetDeep.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I can't check from work, it's not Maynard Ferguson's Primal Scream, is it? The very start of the song?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bassie said:
    I can't check from work, it's not Maynard Ferguson's Primal Scream, is it? The very start of the song?

Nah, that's something entirely different.

I've always understood it was something McLaren, Horn & them recorded themselves and, like much of Duck Rock, never properly credited the performer.

As I recall, the nature of the technology back then was such that people weren't really using one-shot samples like that. In some respects, Duck Rock was kind of a predecessor to the first Art Of Noise album, and if you listen to things like The Army Now from Into Battle With..., they bounce that Andrew Sisters sample up and down the keys of the Fairlight in a pretty primitive kind of way, much like everyone else who was experimenting with similar technology. People didn't really grasp what it was capable of right away, so you ended up with a lot of things where someone would take, say, the sound of a dog barking and play the melody to How Much Is That Doggie In The Window? with it. Sampling as we've since come to understand it didn't really exist until a few years later.

• DocMcCoy said:

I've always understood it was something McLaren, Horn & them recorded themselves and, like much of Duck Rock, never properly credited the performer.
    same here - 99% sure its an out-take from the Johannesberg sessions with the same girls who sang the 'aaaaaaah shes looking like a hobo*
    OG album credits 'unnamed kwayazululand zulu singers' but definitely maybe the mahotella queens. trevor horn said there's hours of tape.
    the duck rock VHS has parts not on the vinyl & cd. the wail is here without the 'la-la' echo but malcolm rants over the intro.

they got no credit for this '74 tune either. its double dutch for fuck sake
    Jive Mabone (Show Them How To Jive) by Mahotella Queens on Grooveshark

couple years later the mahotella queens were featured on an EMI album called 'duck food' that even had mclaren on the cover. no hip hop just straight up african singing.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Jaggerz said:
    DocMcCoy said:

the wail is here without the 'la-la' echo but malcolm rants over the intro.

I took them to be two separate sources, too - Gravediggaz use it on Nowhere to Run without the la la echos (if that's the song Duderonomy meant above).
    So, to Doc's point, Jungle Bros and Gravediggaz used McLaren as the source?

• bassie said:

So, to Doc's point, Jungle Bros and Gravediggaz used McLaren as the source?

yeah its defo a mclaren/horn thing, either a field recording or j'burg studio session.
    while its topical - i dont believe the famous 'wah' scratch on buffalo gals is from the hugo montenegro song.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jaggerz said:

couple years later the mahotella queens were featured on an EMI album called 'duck food' that even had mclaren on the cover. no hip hop just straight up african singing.

I can't find any info about this release. Sure that is the title? Link to photo?

Fan of the Mahotella Queens, saw them once with Mahlathini.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    A lot of the stuff on the first couple of McLaren LP's is straight jacked from Mahotella Queens and other groups that were featured on some of those "Indestructable Beat" compilations. Not just McLaren's solo stuff, a few of the early Bow Wow Wow singles also had chord progressions that were lifted wholesale from African records. For example:

and

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts