Presidential Debate

Comments

• probably note cards... nothing suspicious to me.

• DOR said:
    GatorToof said:

Yes, the solar companies Obama invested in are a failure. They got low balled by the Chinese. Furthermore, the companies are major contributors to the Obama campaign.

Why reply with bullshit? You aren't addressing what I actually brought up. But thanks for playing...

He replied with bullshit because he is defending bullshit...you gotta lie to say lies are actually true.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DOR said:

Which brings me to another mind bender. He says he's a fan of green energy and all for it last night. But then says something like "I had a friend who said you don???t just pick the winners and losers, you pick the loser".

That was one of those vaunted "zingers," though it was one that was only meant to play to the wingnut base--they've been reciting the "pick winners and losers" talking point for a while now.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    DOR said:
    GatorToof said:

Yes, the solar companies Obama invested in are a failure. They got low balled by the Chinese. Furthermore, the companies are major contributors to the Obama campaign.

Why reply with bullshit? You aren't addressing what I actually brought up. But thanks for playing...

He replied with bullshit because he is defending bullshit...you gotta lie to say lies are actually true.

I thought you were talking about Green Energy. I've always thought that green energy was a bit off.

I'm not lying about the scenario pertaining to alternative energy and China. I'm am being honest. Honest GatorToof they call me. Look it up.

Ps. I'm going to come up with a new "clean" energy campaign. I'm going to call it Orange. It is going to be based on Organic chemistry and it's applications. Maybe I will use the calorie as a unit of measurement.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Saracenus said:
    probably note cards... nothing suspicious to me.

I didn't think it was suspicious. Just thought it was against the rules.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• DOR said:
    Saracenus said:

It is against the rules...cheating goes hand in hand with lying.

The_Hook_Up said:
    DOR said:
    Saracenus said:

It is against the rules...cheating goes hand in hand with lying.

I think it was a handkerchief. He used it later in the debate at about the 01hr 26mins mark.

Here's a closer look:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The handkerchief had notes on it.....he cheated, he lied, he said that he loved us.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Was it really against the rules to have notes?

The candidates had paper and pen to write stuff down on for sure.
    Could it be he was throwing down his paper?
    Romney was checking his notes throughout the debate, perhaps ones he had just jotted down.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "No props, notes, charts, diagrams, or other writings or other tangible things may be brought into the debate by any candidate." The candidate can take notes, but only on a pad provided by commission staff.

• Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    I think it was a handkerchief. He used it later in the debate at about the 01hr 26mins mark.

Here's a closer look:

Having seen that closer, in slow mo', I agree that is probably a handkerchief. It flops a little like cloth would and is not stiff enough to be a stack of note cards.

[strike]I was unaware taking notes into the debates was against the rules. Why? I guess I can't be President because I would not be able to keep all those numbers in my head and I would gaff something important.[/strike]

Edit: Saw Rock's post on the rules. Edjimication, its good for sumpthin'.

• Here is my take (I finally had enough time to watch the debate on DVR). Romney won this debate on style and energy. Obama looked distracted.

As a guy, I wish Obama would have pushed back on some of the more outrageous statements (and some of the outright lies) by his opponent. I am not going to make excuses for my candidate, he got spanked in front of a large audience. It is interesting that women I have talked to have a much more negative reaction to Romney's aggressive style, while it was mostly my male friends that were "bed wetting" about Obama's performance on the stage.

Do I think this is a "game changer?" No. Obama didn't make a serious gaff that the Romney campaign can exploit. I don't think there is enough undecideds left to make a difference in the race and Romney is certainly not going to convince Obama's base to suddenly switch sides.

As a base fight this election is going to come down to motivating and getting your base out to vote. If Obama continues to have very flat debates I could see that effecting democratic enthusiasm, maybe.

What this did do for Romney , like I have posted before, is to get his own party to stop bitching about his performance and see him as having a chance to win this thing. More importantly it should re-open some funding sources that had dried up (some of the big donors where starting to turn off the money spigot for Romney and were going to concentrate on congressional races to save the house and still try and re-take the senate).

Obama's biggest issue is he gave Romney daylight. I am not sure he could have landed a knockout blow to him in this debate but he did give Romney a fighting chance at this thing.

One more thing, the jobs report came out today and it does not favor Romney or his messaging about Obama. Unemployment dropped below 8% (7.8%) and jobs created for July and August were revised up. The numbers September looked good (and if they follow the trend they will get revised up in the next report). This is not what Romney wanted to see coming out before the election. There is only one more jobs report between now and Nov. 6th and it looks very unlikely that it will have much of an impact unless there is a crisis (Euro Zone goes boom would be one reason).

So Romney supporters, feel good about your candidate. He did a good job on Wednesday.

Now on to the under card fight, Biden vs. Ryan!

• i finally got around to watching the whole thing in its entirety (rather than bipartisan snippetry), and the way it appeared to me, on a PERFORMANCE level, was romney overextending with peacockery as a hail mary and obama was taking a knee to ride out the clock. quiet confidence doesn't win debates, which we KNOW he can also do, but lets see if it wins elections.

• John Stewart tells it like it is:

O Bama, Where Art Thou?

PART 1:

PART II:

And how the hell did I miss this bit from Samuel L. Jackson? Produced by the Jewish Council for Education and Research???

Edit: Found the uncensored version.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    "What do you want us to do?"

"Say hell no muthafuckers!"

haha

• Haha, here is the thing. ---> we are voting!

Political apathy is at an all time high. I ran to the tavern to watch the debate and was met with scorn. "So I guess that means your voting," they say and continue watching their dodgers game. So I went to the pizza place. "I'm voting for the green party," (wink wink). Then when I mentioned it to the cashier at the records store. They said, "I go out of my way to avoid anything political. I had a beer and studied while the debate was being broadcast."

In conclusion, the warm, cuddlie democratic voters have tuned out. If the ladies, as Saracenus, says don't like Romney I understand that. He is brave and courageous and intimidating...not cuddlie.

GatorToof said:
    I understand that. He is brave and courageous and intimidating...

I think we may have a Romney :hayek: on our hands...

Saracenus said:

And how the hell did I miss this bit from Samuel L. Jackson? Produced by the Jewish Council for Education and Research???

You must not be on my brothers email list.
    Want me to give him your email so you don't miss out on important political humor?

So Romney is brave and courageous is he ?

Is that why he keeps flip flopping on all his policies, and saying anything that will win votes, instead of standing his ground ?

Yeah.. Romney had got real backbone huh! :smirk:

• I haven't seen him flip flop on taxes.

• LaserWolf said:
    You must not be on my brothers email list.
    Want me to give him your email so you don't miss out on important political humor?

Naw. I get enough email from the Obama campaign each day. Thanks for thinking of me.

GatorToof said:
    I haven't seen him flip flop on taxes.

What have you seen him flip flop on ?

I don't mind someone changing their views on policy issues.
    But a person has to have some core set of values above their own self interest.

• Lol.
    Isn't he talking about the policies on different scales?
    Federal, State, Personal
    He did say that he thinks health care should be on a state level not a federal level. And that it should be as affordable as possible.

Abortion, give the guy a break/people change their minds.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    The really insane shit starts at about 1:43.

I think I know who Tator Goof is now.

Catchy tune. This should be the next SoulStrut BeatOff source material.

GatorToof said:

Of course you haven't.

• Bon Vivant said:
    GatorToof said:

Of course you haven't.

Your enthusiasm is magnanomous.

Did we talk about how tax breaks for gas are good for small businesses yet?

Maybe not as much if you are a consultant. But, it is vital for the cost of goods to stay cheap.

(Gasoline ain't whiskey-R)

GatorToof said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    GatorToof said:

Of course you haven't.

Your enthusiasm is magnanomous.

Did we talk about how tax breaks for gas are good for small businesses yet?

Maybe not as much if you are a consultant. But, it is vital for the cost of goods to stay cheap.

(Gasoline ain't whiskey-R)

Your mask is slipping.,

Besides, increased demand for goods, as evidenced by an increase in employment, is much better for small businesses than tax breaks on gas.

7.8% and dropping. You need a tissue, Tito?