Nigerian Disco, Funk & Boogie Mix

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
Just got in a new killer shipment from my man in Lagos. Since I'm stuck at home at the moment due to the convertible-unfriendly height of monsoon season, I couldn't resist recording a quick mix. As usual, this one has been thrown together kind of crudely and unevenly but it contains some rear, some medium rear and some unknown heat...

http://traffic.libsyn.com/voodoofunk/Banko_Woman.mp3

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    always sollid as fuck frank

happy to see you've settled in nicely in costa-rica
    enjoy and keep these mixes coming!

• hells yeah, thanx for this Frank, downloaded!

• Hell yeah!

• This is killer, Frank...most definitely appreciated over here.

• BELIEVE said:
    This is killer, Frank...most definitely appreciated over here.
    +1!

On the last track of this mix right now... Love it. Thanks for posting.

• Love the mix. Thank you.

• Had to bump this one back to the front...I really hope more than half a dozen folks have listened to this.

This mix is fantastic! Just drove out to Omaha and back for work and got a chance to listen to it a bunch of times. (And I just have to reflect--how amazing is it that in a very short time this nearly-forgotten music went from Lagos to Costa Rica to blasting in a truck rolling across the cornfields of Iowa?)

The one that keeps me coming back is "I'm a Disco Man, yeah" which comes in at the 18 minute mark...probably the best Nigerian dancefloor tune I've ever heard. Everything about it is mind-blowing...the intro, the lyrics (street booooogieeeeeeee), the off kilter back-up vocals, the flute, etc...

The one after it (Get close to meeeee, yeah, can't you see I'm burning up) is a close second--what an incredibly good synth riff.

So I know the first track is The Apostles but the rest are a mystery to me...any chance of some track IDs?

In any case, thanks for making & sharing this mix...excellent stuff.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Hey, thanks so much for the feedback! Glad you're enjoying the tunes. It was a slightly haphazard selection... all my LPs are in storage in Berlin and I pulled all tracks out of one fresh package I just got in a few weeks ago.

I'm in the process of sourcing some of this material for a series of Disco 12"s and I also can't reveal some of the more under-the-radar stuff before having scanned the market for them (actually pulled a spare of one of them as a $15 buy-it-now off of ebay just a few days ago) but I can telll you this much:

The second track is Tony Grey "Time Factor" from this criminally overlooked LP:

It's actually "Disco Maniac" (because he's disco crazy, absolutely disco crazy) and not "Disco Man" and the band is Tirogo from their "Aiye People" LP. Same record as "Dancing Machine" which I have compiled on Lagos Disco Inferno:

27:55 are the Friimen with "release yourself" from their impossibly rare "Free Man" LP:

32:20 are Ofege from their strangely underrated LP "How Do You Feel?" with "Bomp Your Booty"

Next track is Tee Mac from his Night Illusion LP with "Hit Hit", generous with the F-word and cocaine references...

51:55 is Theadora Ifudu with "Four In A Tangle" from her phenomenal debut "First Time Out".
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/THEODORA-IFUDU-First-time-out-COSMIC-AFRO-DISCO-SOUL-FUNK-Nigeria-LP-1980-MP3-/290778080982?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item43b3b966d6

• Frank, thanks for all the info! That was above and beyond.

Definitely some additions to my want list here. Of course that Tirogo LP isn't even listed on popsike so I suspect it's unattainably rare...all the more reason to appreciate this mix.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Thanks for the mix. Quality stuff as always!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Really great mix.
    Thanks!!