Montreal Strutters!

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited September 2012 in Strut Central
I know there are some Strutters in Montreal! I'm visiting Montreal for the first time this weekend. Driving up super early on Friday and coming back to Toronto on Sunday. I'm going with a friend who does business out there, and his wife. He has some work to do Saturday during the day, but otherwise we're pretty free all weekend. They go pretty often, but I'm looking forward to just walking around the City and being a tourist. On my list of things to do are:

1. Eat some bagels
2. Eat some Shwartz's
3. Dig for some records
4. Get a lap dance
5. Visit La Belle Provence
6. Wander around Old Montreal
7. Drink some good espresso
8. Brush up on my French
9. Drink/Dance with some French girls

Not in that order.

What else should I be checking out?
I would really appreciate record shop and espresso recommendations!!

Comments

• 1. Eat some bagels

st. viateur bagels and fairmont bagels are mere blocks apart, visit both and do a taste test. both are open 24 hours as i recall...

BeatChemist said:
    2. Eat some Shwartz's

some may try to convince you there are better places but you must pay chez schwartz a visit. i suggest building up a bit of an appetite and then ordering the schwartz special combo. get your smoked meat with "medium fat" and you want spices on your steak. also, i would consider investing in an entire smoked meat, packed for travel on the day of your departure from the city...

i am also a big fan of the main, which is across the street. i reccomend trying their beef ribs.

try to get a portugese meal in as well... i am partial to chez doval and roi du plateau

• Yeah Shwartz is a staple. Gotta try it. Thanks for the tips!

Packing a meat bundle for the way home???? I like the way you think...

Edit: Ahhh!! Bagels!! Thanks! We shall have a bagel-off.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Has Schwartz changed at all since Celine & Rene bought it?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    crabmonger has good recommendations

I'll help you organize them around records

so...basically
    chill with your friend and do whatever on friday
    saturday have a hangover breakfast at cosmo's and go to the salvo and record store encore records near by
    then take the bus to cheap thrills...walk through mcgill campus and hit ''le pick up'' and ''beatnick'' on your way to schwartz
    i say go to the main and skip the line at schwartz but if you have to you won't be disapointed
    then walk up the street or bus it to bernard and st-laurent
    there you can catch some bagels and go to olympico for a sweet cup of espresso on a nice terasse
    you will be near to other stores musicorama and phonopolis then you can go to death of vinyl and walk down beaubien for some latino snacks or take the metro to mont-royal station
    from there you canhit the spots on mont-royal street and check out the mountain
    Melo-disc, 33 tours
    then you are close to the portuguese resturant
    going to doval is a great idea for supper and you will be near the belmont for a sick show on saturday night (Music is my sanctuary party)
    (great DJs nice bar, so dancing with girls covered, I cosine these guys and i know it's the types of beats you like)

after that you have to choices go grab a late night poutine (classic route at la banquise 24h) or go to bocadillos right down the street for some venezuelan street food...then sleep

then spend sunday chilling in the old port and you will be close to the bus/train station or your car near the highway

job well done

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    I know there are some Strutters in Montreal! I'm visiting Montreal for the first time this weekend. Driving up super early on Friday and coming back to Toronto on Sunday. I'm going with a friend who does business out there, and his wife. He has some work to do Saturday during the day, but otherwise we're pretty free all weekend. They go pretty often, but I'm looking forward to just walking around the City and being a tourist. On my list of things to do are:

1. Eat some bagels
    2. Eat some Shwartz's
    3. Dig for some records
    4. Get a lap dance
    8. Brush up on my French

Not in that order.

What else should I be checking out?
    I would really appreciate record shop and espresso recommendations!!

PCMR's list is pretty dead on...

i would say skip La Belle Provence... the Binerie on Mont Royal is great for the more home style stuff... almost every neighborhood has a spot like Belle Provence, but better... Montreal Pool Room downtown is the late night spot, but most neighborhoods have one... my fav was AA on Notre Dame in St. Henry...

• Man.
    Soulstrut is the shit.

pcmr I knew you lived there cuz I saw your additions to the SS City Guide. I had no idea you moonlight as a record-oriented trip planner!

I'm pretty much going to follow your itinerary. I don't see how I could possibly go wrong.

pgunn thanks for the info! My friend is a Belle Provence fan, so we'll end up there at some point. I am told I need to try one of their toasted hot dogs. Very gourmet shit... lol

Thank you everyone! I will report back with some pics and hopefully a few nice finds!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    eat at...

joe beef
    le comptoir
    lawrence

Drink at....

Vices et Versa
    Dieu Du Ciel

Buy some beer from Charlevoix and Trou Du Diable.

Hit up Atwater or Jean-Talon market.

Last stop before you leave are st viateur/fairmount. Bagels freeze relatively well.

Bring fiber pills, Montreal is meat heavy, constipation for days.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    heavy cosine on dieu du ciel!!!!!

yeah i forgot you need to holla at quebec beers one of the best products we have to offer
    charlevoix's company is unibroue (his LPs arent bad either ;)

dieu du ciel can be your predrink before doval's

if you want to do more on sunday i strongly suggest walking from the old port to the verdun area by the canal
    you will end up near st-ambroise brewery..great terrasse and tasty selections
    bring back a couple of unibroue bottles with the corks and sit on them
    after a year a fin du monde really develops an awesome body and it pops of for any celebration
    the real grail is the unibroue award winning 11 bottle

if you have a car stop by rachel and iberville in al little conveinec d??paneure boni-soir..it looks normal from the outside
    but inside is a cornucopia of beer selections that are incredible like uniondisk japan record store for beer

aser have you tried le filet (from the folks at club chasse&p??che)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    don't forget top update us on your trip and finds

belle province is generic..the ones downtown are horrible the ones in the eastend are more trueschool but you don't want to go there just for that
    un toast?? is always on point (all dressed) but there are way better places...however it's a classic regardless, ther poutine is satisfying as well (queu de cochon has changed my life on that however) btw i would recommend poutineville if you really want to go full on poutine much better than banquise (for topping integration) and open late as well

atwater market will be right near the brewery btw

enjoy

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    pcmr said:
    crabmonger has good recommendations

I'll help you organize them around records

so...basically
    chill with your friend and do whatever on friday
    saturday have a hangover breakfast at cosmo's and go to the salvo and record store encore records near by
    then take the bus to cheap thrills...walk through mcgill campus and hit ''le pick up'' and ''beatnick'' on your way to schwartz
    i say go to the main and skip the line at schwartz but if you have to you won't be disapointed
    then walk up the street or bus it to bernard and st-laurent
    there you can catch some bagels and go to olympico for a sweet cup of espresso on a nice terasse
    you will be near to other stores musicorama and phonopolis then you can go to death of vinyl and walk down beaubien for some latino snacks or take the metro to mont-royal station
    from there you canhit the spots on mont-royal street and check out the mountain
    Melo-disc, 33 tours
    then you are close to the portuguese resturant
    going to doval is a great idea for supper and you will be near the belmont for a sick show on saturday night (Music is my sanctuary party)
    (great DJs nice bar, so dancing with girls covered, I cosine these guys and i know it's the types of beats you like)

after that you have to choices go grab a late night poutine (classic route at la banquise 24h) or go to bocadillos right down the street for some venezuelan street food...then sleep

then spend sunday chilling in the old port and you will be close to the bus/train station or your car near the highway

job well done

THIS ^^ is a pretty badass itinerary. :game_over: I would follow that to a T if i were you.
    For poutine, i'd say go to 'Chez Claudette' on Laurier, a very little walk from Dieu du Ciel, and open late, if not 24 hrs some days.
    Doval is ok, but why not just go to Romados (portuguese chkn breakface) and eat in a park?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    cove said:
    Romados (portuguese chkn breakface) and eat in a park?

eat on the mountain with a local beer you mean

that's what my sundays were all about for a while

highly recommended and your a stones throw away for the belmont

'tu as l'embarras du choix' as we say

• You should pay PCMR a tour guide fee, you will have fun, what a great city.

• damn I love/miss MTL. 2nd best city in NA.

• if montreal didn't have biblical winters, id have moved there years ago. definitely one of te best cities in NA.

ill cosine everything above and here are some things left off the list that ive garnered from my countless visits and extended stays:

dinner:
    jardin nelson: have the rabbit cr??pes and the melon sangria

lunch:
    romados: walk-in chicken and frites. best meal under $10 in the country

breakfast
    cafe grand (grand st.&sherbrooke; ouest) for one of the best breakfasts ive had there. and an entirely anglophone experience, if you start to feel any major disconnect.

breakfast bonus beat:
    good ol cosmo's.

the science centre in old montreal is running a pretty neat exhibit about human identity using Star Wars as an effective narrative. gotta buy tickets a day in advance but worth it for even a small fan. (full-size carbonite solo-r)

yodel at me if you need corporate codes for hotels my son. you're a consultant for HP & IBM right? *wink*

• ALSO: students just rolled back into town FLUSH with student loans.... 'high-end bars' can separate you from them en masse.

close to the action but away from the crowd: try New Town on Crescent street for the rooftop patio. hookah and hendricks on the rocks with a superb view of the metropolis.

• 'Le Fin Du Monde' beer while there, and stock up on Anglo-swill before you come back. impress your friends with a stack of 55 coors light in a rubber-lined hexagonal box for the last BBQ of the summer----> $60. that way you can keep the good beer in the fridge.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    BeatChemist said:

1. Eat some bagels
    2. Eat some Shwartz's
    3. Dig for some records
    4. Get a lap dance
    8. Brush up on my French

Not in that order.

Eat a bagel with smoke meat from Shwartz, and an espresso on the side, while you get a lap dance & speak French to a Quebecois stripper.

Or just follow pcmr's tour itinerary.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    on best city in NA i could not live anywhere else...and i always look forward to coming back when I am travelling
    we need a MTL strut reunion thing to go down at some point...bring back the days when RAJ mahal was tearing it up on st-cath

final advice
    if you want a cool lounge with good beer in between activities or you want to check out la place des spectacles (jazz museum)
    well bleury bar a vinyle has all vinyl nice beer selection and is open at 3 on friday
    there is a jerome derradji (house legend) playing there on friday so that could be your spot

• damn this sounds dope, i need to make my first trip to Montreal soon as well...been wanting to go for a long time now...

• what's that crazy good portugese dive on rachel called? the one where you have to call in your dinner order at lunch, before all the chicken is spoken for?

edit: ok, i see that is the aforementioned romando's. remember to get your order in early if its dinner you want..

http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/67/1431927/941538/montreal-rotisserie-romados-rotisserie-romados-photo

b/w

if you are looking for cheap, dirty fun then try to go and to place where the french cgep students frequent. get shitfaced, dance to horrible music and make out with a french lady. cafe campus used to be that spot but i am currently disconnected.

• Got home from work around 11... packing now and going to bed. Getting picked up at 6am to hit the road. My buddy has to do a bit of business in Ottawa tomorrow, but we should be in Montreal by the evening. Thank you so much to everyone in this thread.

I will definitely post updates and finds as the weekend goes by. I'm pretty pumped about the digging aspect of the trip. I don't usually drop a lot of cash on records in one trip/day, but since I'm not paying for travel or hotel.... fuckit. I think I'm gonna set a couple bills aside just for records.

Soulstrut is seriously the best place on the internet. You dudes are duder than dude.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    damn I love/miss MTL. 2nd best city in NA.

Yes!!! The misses and I had a wonderful trip there back in summer 2010. I gripped some heatery for days at the record shops there, and the dining and nightlife were quite nice.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Hey just posting a quick update! Friday night got a little rained out. Still managed to hit Cheap Thrills (5 mins from hotel) and then cruise up to Mont Royal for some espresso at Flocon and then hit a bookstore next door for some records. Seems like every block has a book/record store.

On the bus to Cosmos now for breakfast. Hitting the salvo and Encore after that. I think Shwartz for lunch.

Post pics later!

I think I want to move here... :D

• Watch out, MTL's gotta hook. Try to get your hands on a bike (Biki bike will do) it's the best way to get around. If your a skater MTL's a sick city to ride, just watch for the drivers, they'll go out of their way to help you shed some skin.

• Just got back in to Toronto. Had a blast! Thanks to everyone for the tips and recommendations.

I'll post up some pictures tomorrow. I highly suggest that everyone visit Montreal at least once. I definitely plan on going back soon.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    pcmr said:

aser have you tried le filet (from the folks at club chasse&p??che)

no unfortunately I haven't. Haven't tried dna either. Want to hit them all.

I think Montreal has one of the best restaurant scenes in Canada for whitey food.

• Pictures!

Records:

Espresso at Flocon on Mont Royal:

Cortado from Flocon:

Toaste All Dressed w/ Poutine chez La Belle Province:

Super Special at The Main (across from Schwartz - lineup was too long... lol):

Late night tacos at Tequila Tacos:

La Maison du Bagel:

Cool art in a headshop window on St. Laurent:

Near Old Montreal. A lot of cool graf/street art around the city.

Beautiful nature trails in Parc du Mont Royal, up the mountain.

View from the top observatory area.

Tourist shot.

Croix du Mont Royal.

We rented a three person bike cart thing. Stupidity ensued. I am sippin on Spruce Beer. Which is pop that tastes like pine trees. lol

Montreal Smoked Meat.

A huge thank you to everyone that posted in this thread. You really helped me maximize this trip. I have lots of shit I want to hit the next time I go. There were like 6 or 7 record shops that looked good but I just didn't have time to hit. My fav part of town was the Mont Royal and St. Dennis area on the plateau. Just a great vibe. Book stores, little cafes, record shops, boutique stores.

I plan on taking more trips out there soon. My friend usual travels out there once or twice a month, and I'm just going to make sure I've got my days off when he's going (make-my-own-schedule-related). He's pumped to have company on the drive, and I could totally kill a day just wandering around town and enjoying the city. I'm hoping to make it a regular thing.

The next time I'm out there I'd love to meet up with any Strutters that would want to have a beer! I feel like I already owe a round or two to pcmr for his travel tips!

• I've been to a few big cities, and this is the only one I could plant roots in. (Too bad about the winters!) I particularly like the way the arts in general are taken more seriously there, but in a casual way, like it's just given. And the fact that, unlike many/most cities, single young women and families with young kids are seen walking around everywhere after dark. In fact, gorgeous women seem to be everywhere.

Last summer my wife and I rode our motorcycles up from Albany to Montreal, then up the St. Lawrence to Quebec City (where I have family roots), then down to Burlington, then home. Great trip riding through the province over a few days. It does help to learn some Francais once you leave the cities.

• Plantweed said:
    In fact, gorgeous women seem to be everywhere.

It does help to learn some Francais

• BeatChemist said:
    Plantweed said:
    In fact, gorgeous women seem to be everywhere.

It does help to learn some Francais

i can hack my way through a conversation which never hurt and my GF is full out fluent, so I have no worries.

in my countless experiences there, if you exhibit that you've even TRIED to learn the native language they'll jump in with English and save you without too much butthurt. this only goes for Montreal tho, NOT the rest of PQ