What Do You Like on NETFLIX?

Soul ZillaSoul Zilla 153 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
I would like to hear about some good movies and documentary suggestions that any strutter would recommend. Not really down with tv shows and such, just movies and docs. And just ones that are streamed as I have the frugal plan. Please point me in the right direction...

Comments

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Soul Zilla said:
    I would like to hear about some good movies and documentary suggestions that any strutter would recommend. Not really down with tv shows and such, just movies and docs. And just ones that are streamed as I have the frugal plan. Please point me in the right direction...

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    Most of the films on streaming that I end up watching/digging seem to be foreign. If that's your thing all of these were pretty damn good,

Fish Story
    The Names of Love
    Delhi Belly
    Trollhunter
    Going by the Book
    La Ch??vre

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Last Days Here

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I wish Netflix here didn't suck. I've been thinking about grabbing a VPN just to use with Hulu plus and Netflix US.

• Tyrannosaur.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    The Canadian version is beyond horrible.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Twin Peaks

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Man, I love this topic and it comes up all the time on Soulstrut. I wish there was a way to keep it all in one pinned thread.

At any rate, I just watched this:

And it was amazing. I don't give a shit about racing but I was hooked on this movie in the first 10 seconds. Great narrating, great use of footage and amazing in-car racing scenes.

Don't miss it, even if you couldn't give a shit about racing...you'll be into this film.

soup said:
    Fish Story

Do you mean that English film "Fish Tank"?

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    Sunfade said:
    soup said:
    Fish Story

Do you mean that English film "Fish Tank"?

No, but I did like Fish Tank. Fish Story is a bunch of stories revolving around a song by a forgotten Japanese punk band.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Watched the Tribe doc the other day...and like I expected, I didn't understood the focus on the turmoil that caused the group to break up. It's not like by the time A Love Movement came out that all that many Tribe fans were all that upset that it would be their last album. The story on Tribe is how they scored so big with their first 3 albums. Beyond that, keep it moving.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Liking all the 70s episodes of SNL, unabridged. Some of the music performances are great...Sun Ra, Gary Numan. Esther Phillips...

Enjoyed the movies "God Bless America" and "The Skin I'm In"

Also,those "classic albums" mini-docs which have been discussed on here before.

HarveyCanal said:
    The story on Tribe is how they scored so big with their first 3 albums. Beyond that, keep it moving.
    It has always been kinda puzzling how they have had the ability to crossover to pop radio play. I remember being drunk at The Good Life when the Electric Relaxation single dropped and they were playing it on the dance floor. I remember looking around while it was playing watching people and saying to myself "how do you even like this?, do you even realize what this is?"

Then I realized that prolly 78% of these Tribe supporters never heard the first album.

Then I realized the crowd is gonna kill the music.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I dunno about all of that. I saw Tribe perform with De La circa '93 in Dallas and it was about the coolest collection of 1,000 people I've ever seen. I mean, I was as big a Tribe fan as anyone and I didn't even bother listening to A Love Movement, not so much because I thought the group was falling apart, but because I was already completely satisfied with 3.5 albums-worth of great Tribe music. Times kinda changed on them was all...and even if Phife stuck it out, the end result IMO would have been practically identical.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I dunno about all of that. I saw Tribe perform with De La circa '93 in Dallas and it was about the coolest collection of 1,000 people I've ever seen. I mean, I was as big a Tribe fan as anyone and I didn't even bother listening to A Love Movement, not so much because I thought the group was falling apart, but because I was already completely satisfied with 3.5 albums-worth of great Tribe music..

and souls of mishief!

I WAS THERE!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Watched the Tribe doc the other day...and like I expected, I didn't understood the focus on the turmoil that caused the group to break up. It's not like by the time A Love Movement came out that all that many Tribe fans were all that upset that it would be their last album. The story on Tribe is how they scored so big with their first 3 albums. Beyond that, keep it moving.

That doc needed a lot more Large Professor and a lot less ?uestlove.

jdeez said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    I dunno about all of that. I saw Tribe perform with De La circa '93 in Dallas and it was about the coolest collection of 1,000 people I've ever seen. I mean, I was as big a Tribe fan as anyone and I didn't even bother listening to A Love Movement, not so much because I thought the group was falling apart, but because I was already completely satisfied with 3.5 albums-worth of great Tribe music..

and souls of mishief!

I WAS THERE!

I caught that tour at Tufts U back in the day! That was the first time I heard Electric Relaxation. Tribe was so loud.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I just read that Jiro Dreams of Sushi is on netflix and in HD. Great documentary, which is really well shot.

Check it out if you have not seen.

Just watch on a full stomach. I'm not even a big fan of sushi and I was starving after.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Here's the top 25 in my queue.

From the Orient with Fury
    Soul Vengeance
    Paper Moon
    Gold
    Throne of Blood
    Helter Skelter
    Brava Italia
    In the Folds of the Flesh
    The Killer Must Kill Again
    Miracle at St. Anna
    What About Bob?
    God's Gun
    Cinderella Liberty
    The Red Chapel
    The One-Armed Swordsman
    Master of the Flying Guillotine
    The Hot, The Cool and the Vicious
    Van Nuys Blvd / Little Laura & Big John
    The Most Beautiful Wife
    Rumble Fish
    Fellini Satyricon
    The Hit
    The Tree of Wooden Clogs
    Moontide
    The Lower Depths

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Smoke a doobie and watch Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie.

:face_melt:

• Brain Damage.
    Cave of forgotten dreams.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Smoke a doobie and watch Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie.

:face_melt:

Dood....I'm scared to.