Do you think James Brown gets the credit he deserves from mainstream rock critics?

Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
I don't. But maybe I'm reading or not reading the right critics.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    They love them some Live At The Apollo.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    batmon said:
    They love them some Live At The Apollo.

Haaha! Exactly. I remember before YouTube how hard it was to find clips of JB in his prime. Had to track them down on Ebay. Now I kinda take it for granted.

http://rockhall.com/inductees/james-brown/

Why do you think he not given credit by mainstream rock critics?

And what do u mean by credit and who are the "mainstream" Rock critics?

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Here we go. More of a question than a statement. And before you can come at me about certain words or references I make, reread my first sentence. Just an observation. That's all. Not saying I'm right or wrong.

Anyways, from what I've seen, he's more of a footnote beside guys like Elvis and the Beatles. They get way more credit in terms of their influence and legacy. But I think he deserves more. For a variety of reasons I won't get into.

The James Brown Reader was a good book. As was this year's "The One". But why did it take this long to document a guy with that much influence on modern music?

And by mainstream, I mean..well mainstream. Not sure what isn't clear about that? Induction into the hall of fame is well and good. But I honestly believe his legacy is largely overshadowed by other, less ground breaking artists. Like Led Zepellin for instance.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Because James Brown is of course more of a rock group than Led Zeppelin.

How do polka fans rate James Brown while we're at it?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Do you think Discharge get the credit they deserve from mainstream opera critics?

Or Bob Marley from classical critics?

Or Black Sabbath from C&W writers?

Et cetera

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Oh man. Why can't it just be a discussion rather than juvenile quips and jabs? Pop culture influence in music isn't limited to genre. I'm speaking about his place and recognition in popular music as a whole.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Oh man. Why can't it just be a discussion rather than juvenile quips and jabs? Pop culture influence in music isn't limited to genre. I'm speaking about his place and recognition in popular music as a whole.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    I keep trying to leave the "playground" but keep getting pulled back in.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Not getting into this crap again. It was and is a legit question. If u want it to turn into a pussing contest punctuated by weak ass memes and YouTube links, you're on your own

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    But isn't his performance on T.A.M.I. "the single greatest rock & roll performance ever captured on film"?

Be the first on this board to make 8 posts in a row.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Cool. And you can be the first to bothy ale the time to notice that, bring it up, and use it as a comeback. Deal?

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Cool. And you can be the first to bothy ale the time to notice that, bring it up, and use it as a comeback. Deal?

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    There's two for you.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    We need a nursery slope for new members up in this bith.

Not a cr??che.

Somewhere for dudes to take a clowning, get the 101 threads done and dusted, learn Internet pugilism and basic self defence.

Above all, learn to de-clench and unbunch a diaper.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have no idea what rock critics are thinking today.
    Nor do I care.

Back in the 80s and 90s James Brown was always among the first mentioned soul performers.
    Others would be Aretha and Ray Charles.
    These 3 were credited with creating soul. (By rock critics decades ago.)

Rock critics like to talk about... Live at the Apollo, The Cape, TAMI, Say It Loud, No Boston Riots.

It wasn't until Tom Tom Club/Talking Heads in the 80s, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the 90s started taking directly from James Brown, or indirectly via pfunk, that rock critics were forced to acknowledge funk as a viable music form and James Brown role in creating it.

But really, what credit does James Brown deserve from rock critics?
    Seems that the bulk of classic rock exists in a world where James does not.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Again. "My appologies"for using the word "rock" when I mentioned critics. Though it was obvious enough that I'm referring to music as a whole. How about music critics? OR, how about I send my posts to everyone privately so we can labour over the semantics and I can finally get it right?

Anto99 said:
    Again. "My appologies"for using the word "rock" when I mentioned critics. Though it was obvious enough that I'm referring to music as a whole. How about music critics? OR, how about I send my posts to everyone privately so we can labour over the semantics and I can finally get it right?

Dude cmon.

Jazz Critics arent. Rock Critics.

Rolling Stone doesnt cover ALL music.

WTF?

I am smelling a certain Roll-On.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

But really, what credit does James Brown deserve from rock critics?
    Seems that the bulk of classic rock exists in a world where James does not.

The kid with the stuttering posts feels like he's being clowned out of the thread (maybe not inappropriately so), but LaserWolf nails the underlying problem with the question -- what credit does JB deserve from mainstream rock critics? Brown's music existed largely outside of the rock idiom -- was he influenced by it? Sure. Did he influence rock? Sure. But it's pretty hard to chart James Brown into rock directly.

And I'm not sure the point of the exercise. When mainstream rock critics start talking about classic soul, James Brown is likely to be one of the first five people named. When they talk about classic rock, they will not name James Brown. IMO, there's no real reason to talk about James Brown in a discussion about classic rock. Does someone think different? I'm open.

Peace,
    JRoot

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    And yes Rolling Stone covers all music. All popular music. Can't believe I'm "arguing" this? JB charted. Many times. So that, by definition makes him part of popular music. Coltrane etc..never. So the same eyes, critique etc couldn't and shouldn't possibly apply.

Metal heads hate James Brown almost as much as they worship Satan.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Bring on the clowns. One request: can they be smart ones?

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    More fun that way. Oh and is "fun" the right choice of words? I need guidance on these things.

• i'd say James Brown is hella respected and thought of as the inventor of the heavy funk. if he wasn't getting critical praise in the 60s and 70s i think he does now by most music writers for all he's contributed to modern music.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If there is a soul artist more frequently name-checked in the canon of "rock criticism" than JB, I'd be interested to know who it is.

Al Green and Marvin Gaye vying for second.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Cool. Nice friendly, non confrontational reply. Almost thought I was dreaming. Is dreaming the right word to use? I just don't know anymore I'm afraid..

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    Read "Let it Blurt" It's a book that includes pieces written by one if Rolling Stone's most respected POPULAR music critics. And low and behold! He writes about soul too! Stop the presses folks.

batmon said:

I am smelling a certain Roll-On.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    That link stings more than seeing Q-tip wearing a fur coat. Oh wait, no it doesn't.