Dyke The Blazers-Electro/L.A. Rap connection

unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
This weekend I interviewed Rich Cason at his house for the L.A. hip-hop pre-NWA documentary I'm doing.I know Rich Cason from his electro/hip-hop work- Capt. Rapp "Bad Times," Formula V "Killer Groove," Rich Cason & The Galactic Orchestra "Space Boogie," "Radio Activity Rapp" etc.So he mentions his biggest record was "Funky Broadway." My music obsession/concentration is on old hip-hop and electro but hey I know that cut.Ah..wait up. What was the groups name? Didn't register...too busy focusing on camera work.Interview continues. Focus on electro/rap scene in L.A. Inteview wraps up in his home studio. On the wall are plaques and pictures. OH SHIT!- DYKE & THE BLAZERS! D'uh! Rich Cason of Dyke & The Blazers=Rich Cason of Write On records, Rappers Rapp, Saturn Records etc.And he's still producing- hip-hop, soul, gospel.Man, I'm learning so much from this project!

Comments

• Yes, that??s an interesting connection. Keep us posted about your project too, I??d really like to learn more about that scene. L.A seems to be full of these weird connections, an other one being that Charles Wright Eric "Eazy-E" Wright thing, that was posted here a while ago. Any others?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Sounds good. Learning new things about this city's musical history is one of my points of intrest, so I'd check out that documentary once you're done. Did you get to interview Byron Davis?

• Did you get to interview Byron Davis?

Yeah we interviewed Byron. JJ Fad was originally his group before they went to Ruthless and had members replaced. He also told us how the original 2 Live Crew (L.A./Inland Empire) hooked up with Luke based off Luke hearing an early 2 Live cut that had the vocals "Luke Skywalker" in it. Last one- regarding how big/profitable Uncle Jamm's Army shows were. He described the ticket booth at an L.A. Coliseum show. There was so much money being taken that the ticket seller had to stack/throw the money on the booth's floor. The little cash box had already been filled!

• Yes, that??s an interesting connection. Keep us posted about your project too, I??d really like to learn more about that scene. L.A seems to be full of these weird connections, an other one being that Charles Wright Eric "Eazy-E" Wright thing, that was posted here a while ago. Any others?

has this been confirmed? that is truly nuts. i can't believe i never knew that.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

not true- I can't remember if there was any relation at all, but definitely not father/son

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

not true- I can't remember if there was any relation at all, but definitely not father/son

NO relation, from what I've heard - I think that myth has been disproven.