RIP Bob Babbitt

big earbig ear 67 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
guy played on so many wonderful tracks, and played so damn good.
sad news.

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Yes, I finally saw the Motown documentary and he was in it. He and James Jamerson were part of the backbone of the Motown rhythm section.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The Pittsburgh-born Babbitt's most notable bass performances include "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" (by Stevie Wonder), "War" (by Edwin Starr), "The Tears of a Clown" (by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles), "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" and "Inner City Blues" (by Marvin Gaye), "Band Of Gold" (by Freda Payne), "Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today)", and Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) (by The Temptations).

RIP
    Would have guessed a lot of those were Jamerson.

• RIP

I was lucky enough to see him play with that "standing in the shadows" revue... he looked like johnny larue from SCTV...one of the best electric bassists ever... lots of career highlights for him but this bass solo has to be one of his all-time shinning moments:

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Amazing bass player. I remember hearing about a Bob solo album from the 70's but have never seen anything about it. Anyone hear of it? Rip

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I literally do not give a fuck about you modern bass players. You are not fucking with KAYE, JAMERSON or BABBITT...

Rest in peace Babbitt, you are one hell of a Bass player!!

- spidey

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Sad news, his was a name I learnt early on to mean a stamp of quality on a sessions rhythm section, kinda like Chuck Rainey. In fact seeing his name on this disk back in the nineties made me buy it even before I knew who coffey was, wtf. Don't know if this boobtube clip does the song justice, maybe w/ headphones, the man was phat.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mercy Mercy Me