El-P's Into The Wild Tour

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
Just caught the Toronto show of this tour. Shit blew my mind. I would highly recommend you try to see these guys if they're coming through your town. I'd elaborate, but it's Monday. It's almost 2am. And I have to work at 5:30am.

Seriously though. If you are or were ever into El-P's music you should go.

http://www.syffal.com/into-the-wild-tour

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    dope, hes coming here for the halifax pop explosion...glad to hear it was a sick show!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I was there, too. Left before El-P was done...not my thing so much, but Killer Mike was SO GOOD.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    bassie said:
    I was there, too. Left before El-P was done...not my thing so much, but Killer Mike was SO GOOD.

Yeah Mike killed it. No pun. The crowd was obviously into him too. Not your typical too-cool-for-any-reaction Toronto hip hop crowd.

[rant]
    What did you think about him rhyming over his vocal tracks though? Not instrumentals. I don't understand why that shit happens in 2012. People I was with didn't even notice, but I hate it because it means if their cadence/flow is off even a little bit then it sounds muffled. Plus... I enjoy hearing a live version of the song - I don't need an exact copy of the album mix! And it's not like there's any excuse like, "oh, the label never pressed up inst vinyl." Mute the vocal tracks and mix that shit down so you can do a proper live show!!
    [/rant]

Also, did you catch Despot? I was a little late and missed his set, but I've been hearing it was really great.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The sets times were off from what I had been told, so missed Despot and most of MFN Exquire.
    First time at that venue, liked the multi-level aspect a lot.
    Yea, I wasn't a big fan of the rhyming over rhyming parts - thought it strange. He didn't do it at the other shows (that I noticed). It was more pronounced when I was at the side and the echo was a huge distraction. But he made up for it in every other way.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I was at the SF show. Sound was muddy but Killer Mike owned the stage. Mr. MFX was a lot of fun too

bassie said:
    But he made up for it in every other way.

Oh absolutely. I just find it weird.

I saw Mayer Hawthorne at the Hoxton a few months ago. Only two times I've been. The upper level/bar area is definitely the place to be unless you want to be in the front row. Sound seemed to be kinda muddy at the Hawthorne show, and I thought Killer Mike's set could have sounded better. El-P's setup was a big improvement.

I wish I had posted about this show before it happened! I could have bought you a beer and met my first strutter in real life! :D

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    I don't understand why that shit happens in 2012.

It's because

People I was with didn't even notice

Performance expectations are low these days.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    (Double post)

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts

[rant]
    What did you think about him rhyming over his vocal tracks though? Not instrumentals. I don't understand why that shit happens in 2012.
    That's weird, why would he rap over the vocal tracks? This kind of thing happened a lot in the mid 80s but luckily the practice seems to have been put to rest.
    No excuse for it, I mean there are even instrumentals of his record on wax!

Yeah that's what I find so strange. Maybe worries about breath control live on stage? I'd prefer to think not, but who knows. He did it when he performed a NXNE show in Toronto a few weeks ago too. That was an outdoor venue though, so I thought maybe it was more of a precautionary measure or something in case the sound was really shitty.

I think I'm just gonna ask him on twitter. Ha.

So I asked him:

"why do you perform over vocal mixes of your new songs instead of just the instrumentals? No disrespect! I'm just curious"

And he replied!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Beatchemist on the case. Putting an end to bad practices.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

el p on letterman - curiouser and curiouser